WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default quilt companies?

Does anyone have any experence with Loco Libre or Underground quilts? Also what about pull string bottoms vs sewn bottoms?

Quote Originally Posted by Squirrel29 View Post
    Does anyone have any experence with Loco Libre or Underground quilts? Also what about pull string bottoms vs sewn bottoms?
    Both have a pretty active forum on hammockforums.net

Lots of reviews there and I think the owners of both companies are pretty active on there also

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I’ve met George of Loco Libre, very nice and knowledgeable guy. Both companies make quality gear with their own twist.

The footbox is a personal preference. I have a zipper/drawstring on a 20* quilt, and I love the versatility for venting in warmer weather. Any quilt colder than that and I would get sewn footbox.
    I look at it this way:
    Under 20*, sewn footbox
    20-40, personal preference
    Over 40, snap/zipper with string closure.

I used a Loco Libre underquilt for the entire AT - great quality and good company to deal with

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Both are reputable companies and either will likely serve you well.

What range of temps can a 20* quilt cover?

I like my UGQ underquilt. Helpful people, too.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

I have a Loco Libre 20* ghost pepper with draw cord foot box and I've had it down to 19*. That was in a hammock, however so I had a good deal of bottom insulation. I've had it out up to the mid 70s, as well. That's also in a hammock without bottom insulation. Both temp extremes I was quite comfy. For a 20* I, personally, would go with a sewn box. Also, at 6'2" the regular length is just a little short for me in the hammock and would be quite short if I slept on the ground. But LLG is amazing gear and George is wonderful to work with. If I do t make my own quilt next, he will definitely be getting my business.

Cheers,
    The Goat

I use a 20* quilt all Summer, but up here in Maine, Summer is a different animal than down South. I've been down in the teens up into the 70's with my 20* quilt. But in the teens, I was wearing most of my clothes, and in the 70's, I'm barely under the quilt.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by egilbe View Post
    I use a 20* quilt all Summer, but up here in Maine, Summer is a different animal than down South. I've been down in the teens up into the 70's with my 20* quilt. But in the teens, I was wearing most of my clothes, and in the 70's, I'm barely under the quilt.
    This has been pretty much my exact experience with my 20 degree quilt, good to a bit below 20 in a pinch wearing lots of clothes, and OK at very warm temps just draped over me a bit. My quilt is a very high-end, very puffy Katabatic Gear brand (Alsek 21 degree rated model), I have no experience with the brands mentioned on this thread.

My wife and I have a double EE quilt "rated" at 20, originally quite a bit less loft than my single Katabatic Gear 21-deg quilt, then we added down to the EE to increase its loft. We actually got some good sleep in the double quilt one night in single digits (on the AT in mid-March last year), wearing all our clothes plus using a couple of hot water bottles. I don't recommend using a fairly-rated 20 degree quilt in single digits, but if single digits come at you unexpected, you won't die.

Of course this all depends on your tent and pad. In a typical AT shelter, I personally would be quite chilly using a 20 degree quilt at 20 degrees low temps. Shelters are cold, traditional tents are warmer, I guess 7-8 degrees or so depending on the tent size and whether you have company or not.

Thanks yall very good feedback.

Thanks yall very good feedback.
    See Dune Eliot's quilt sales in the for sale forum here at WhiteBlaze.
    Wayne
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Yeah, I just posted a set. LOVE THEM

Only reason I am selling is that life changes and I am likely heading back to Europe for a while

++ New Posts ++