Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 66
  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    08-05-2013
    Location
    Sacramento, CA
    Age
    71
    Posts
    956

    Default packing out the tp

    So, let's say you're gonna pack out your tp. And, in bear country, you're supposed to keep everything that smells together. This seems to present a conundrum of the grossest variety! ?

  2. #2
    Registered User
    Join Date
    12-09-2016
    Location
    Sanford, NC
    Age
    39
    Posts
    417

    Default packing out the tp

    Double bag
    You can walk in another person's shoes, but only with your feet

  3. #3

    Default

    Separate TP bag with opaque zip lock inner bags. Hang outside your food bag. Or hike where extreme "LNT" practices are not customary. Quotes because you will leave some trace, regardless,
    Last edited by Feral Bill; 02-12-2018 at 21:33.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

  4. #4

    Default

    Just throw it over your shoulder like a continental solder.

  5. #5
    Registered User
    Join Date
    02-04-2013
    Location
    Virginia and Louisiana
    Posts
    3,929

    Default

    I always pack out tp. I have *never* even considered putting my used tp with my food nor do I know of anyone who ever has. Just keep it with your unused tp, separately bagged of course.

  6. #6
    Registered User
    Join Date
    11-15-2016
    Location
    Sierra Madre, California
    Posts
    242

    Default

    Whatever you do, please pack it out. Thanks!

  7. #7
    MuddyWaters's Avatar
    Join Date
    05-05-2011
    Location
    state of confusion
    Posts
    8,842
    Journal Entries
    1

    Default

    If your TP actually has any significant poo on it you're method could use Improvement.

    T P is for a final cleanse wipe. Using the correct position and natural materials first and there's nothing left. Focus on using minimal TP and there really isn't a problem.

    People lived for thousands of years without toilet paper. Actually diet makes a tremendous difference.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 02-12-2018 at 23:57.
    "Inevitably, a long distance hiker must choose between travelling light, and not travelling at all." - Earl V. Shaffer

  8. #8
    Registered User
    Join Date
    08-05-2013
    Location
    Sacramento, CA
    Age
    71
    Posts
    956

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    If your TP actually has any significant poo on it you're method could use Improvement.

    T P is for a final cleanse wipe. Using the correct position and natural materials first and there's nothing left. Focus on using minimal TP and there really isn't a problem.

    People lived for thousands of years without toilet paper. Actually diet makes a tremendous difference.
    Hey, what about all those other critters out there? They STILL don't have any toilet paper, and they're doing alright!

  9. #9

    Default

    Geez, just wash yourself, then you're cleaner AND don't have to deal with tp.

  10. #10
    Registered User Venchka's Avatar
    Join Date
    02-20-2013
    Location
    Upper East Side of Texas
    Age
    72
    Posts
    7,129

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nsherry61 View Post
    Geez, just wash yourself, then you're cleaner AND don't have to deal with tp.
    Catch 22.
    Water, soap and wash cloth for washing self.
    More water and more soap to wash the wash cloth.
    In the desert. 20 miles between reliable water sources.
    Got a plan for Old and Slow Fossils?
    I know. We could stay at home. Not an option.
    Wayne

  11. #11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jefals View Post
    Hey, what about all those other critters out there? They STILL don't have any toilet paper, and they're doing alright!
    Critters have their own special tp, its called a tongue.
    If you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything.

  12. #12
    Registered User
    Join Date
    12-28-2015
    Location
    Bad Ischl, Austria
    Age
    60
    Posts
    913

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    Catch 22.
    Water, soap and wash cloth for washing self.
    More water and more soap to wash the wash cloth.
    In the desert. 20 miles between reliable water sources.
    Got a plan for Old and Slow Fossils?
    I know. We could stay at home. Not an option.
    Wayne
    Not really a fossil here, but hiking regularily in the desert.
    I don't use any rag or wash cloth for the business, just water and maybe a tiny drop of soap.
    Can do this with 200ml easily, and optimize down to 100ml by skipping the soap.
    You won't die from reek as quick as from dehydration.

  13. #13

    Default

    I'd double bag, maybe even triple.

    You don't need an opaque bag for the TP, when you're done with it, roll it into a ball with the clean side out. You might want to put some duct tape on the ziplock to reinforce the corners, etc, but it's not like you're looking at the business end of the TP. When you get to town, dump the little balls of wadded up TP in a toilet somewhere.

  14. #14
    Registered User
    Join Date
    02-04-2013
    Location
    Virginia and Louisiana
    Posts
    3,929

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    If your TP actually has any significant poo on it you're method could use Improvement.
    So this is kind of gross but I find that "trail diet" produces relatively clean #2s that don't require a lot of cleanup. Use the town potty before leaving (having eaten town food the prior night).

    I said it was gross.

  15. #15
    Registered User
    Join Date
    11-15-2016
    Location
    Sierra Madre, California
    Posts
    242

    Default

    Not as gross as finding someone else's TP!

  16. #16
    Registered User
    Join Date
    08-05-2013
    Location
    Sacramento, CA
    Age
    71
    Posts
    956

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TexasBob View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jefals View Post
    Hey, what about all those other critters out there? They STILL don't have any toilet paper, and they're doing alright!
    Critters have their own special tp, its called a tongue.
    I don't think ALL critters can actually do that, can they? A human would probably have to be an Olympic --- well, oh, fagetaboutit! ?

  17. #17
    Registered User
    Join Date
    11-15-2016
    Location
    Sierra Madre, California
    Posts
    242

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jefals View Post
    I don't think ALL critters can actually do that, can they? A human would probably have to be an Olympic --- well, oh, fagetaboutit! ?
    That's why you hike with a friend.

  18. #18
    GAME 06
    Join Date
    10-15-2004
    Location
    Prescott, Arizona
    Age
    63
    Posts
    676

    Default

    USE WET WIPES

    Not tp.

    Pack them out of course. I do this even when I hike in uncharted territory in AZ where there is literally no one ever.

    1 or 2 wet wipes will get you cleaner than you are at home.

    They come individually packaged at places like Wallmart or you can buy a very small pack of like 30.

    Wet wipes can also be very useful in cleaning up cuts/scrapes or general body maintenance. They just beat tp to death.

    To get yourself clean with tp it takes a LOT and then you have a much bigger mess. Also if your pack gets soaked you can lose all your tp.

  19. #19

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    Catch 22.
    Water, soap and wash cloth for washing self.
    More water and more soap to wash the wash cloth.
    In the desert. 20 miles between reliable water sources.
    Got a plan for Old and Slow Fossils?
    I know. We could stay at home. Not an option.
    Wayne
    Quote Originally Posted by Leo L. View Post
    Not really a fossil here, but hiking regularily in the desert.
    I don't use any rag or wash cloth for the business, just water and maybe a tiny drop of soap.
    Can do this with 200ml easily, and optimize down to 100ml by skipping the soap.
    You won't die from reek as quick as from dehydration.
    Wayne, 3/4 of the world clean their back side with nothing but a cup of water. It really does work and work well. It is, however against the aesthetic that a lot of us North American types grew up with, so it takes a little practice. Also, if you are hiking in the desert and you body allows you to plan a little, hold off your doo doo duty until you are near your next water source so you can clean with as much water as you wish, without carrying it more than the many 100's of yards you will walk away from the water source before you dig your cat hole.
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

  20. #20
    Registered User
    Join Date
    06-25-2015
    Location
    Neptune Beach
    Age
    50
    Posts
    523

    Default

    Double ziplock bag


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •