WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

It's a popular quilt, they must be doing something right.

I have a EE Revelation 30F quilt. But I've never really used it below high 40s. It's very well constructed and I got the Long/Wide version so I can easily tuck in the sides under me. It weighs only 17 ounces (I ordered 950 down). I have actually used this quilt almost every night over the past six weeks. My apartment is cold, drafty and costs a fortune to heat so I set the thermostat at 50-55 and "live" in my Revelation 30 - when on the couch reading and when in bed sleeping.

I have a zPacks 10F that is what I take if I expect temps at or below freezing.

I had EE rev 20 and went with a regular mummy bag for 40 or lower, especially below freezing, and a rev 30 for everything else. EE is now adding more down so the newer quilts might be closer to rating but for me they were 10-15 degrees optimistic.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by AllDownhillFromHere View Post
    It's a popular quilt, they must be doing something right.
    they're doing a lot of things right, our EE quilt is an excellent piece of gear, well made, reasonably priced and very light. Only negative is the temp rating being optimistic. Easy to fix as already discussed.

Quote Originally Posted by Coffee View Post
    I have a EE Revelation 30F quilt. But I've never really used it below high 40s. It's very well constructed and I got the Long/Wide version so I can easily tuck in the sides under me. It weighs only 17 ounces (I ordered 950 down). I have actually used this quilt almost every night over the past six weeks. My apartment is cold, drafty and costs a fortune to heat so I set the thermostat at 50-55 and "live" in my Revelation 30 - when on the couch reading and when in bed sleeping.

I have a zPacks 10F that is what I take if I expect temps at or below freezing.
    I've got an EE Rev in 40 degree. It's long and wide for more efficient stacking. Still deciding what I want for a cold quilt (something in the 0-10 range, probably) I sleep warm and don't intend any sub-zero expeditions, but you never know what shenanigans might ensue. Always good to have options.

I have an EE Revelation 20* in 950 and have used it in my hammock down to the high teens wearing just poly pro base layer and was perfectly comfortable. I’m not sure if they are typically warmer in a hammock system vs a pad or not, but I’m very happy with mine.

Quote Originally Posted by dcdennis View Post
    if you are planning a thruhike, and dont already know the answer to this question, i am concerned for your safety.
    BINGO! Not to mention the EE quilt delivery time. AND inadequate time for testing your sleep system.
    I also wonder what other bits of critical gear and preparation that aren’t done yet?
    No worries. Go for it!
    Wayne

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    BINGO! Not to mention the EE quilt delivery time. AND inadequate time for testing your sleep system.
    I also wonder what other bits of critical gear and preparation that aren’t done yet?
    No worries. Go for it!
    Wayne
    Maybe the op meant mid March 2019?

Images

Yikes! Ridiculous, yet not unexpected cynicism. The OP asked a fair question about EE quilts and their warmth, and he got some solid opinions. Get a life ye curmudgeons. Or at least get out and do some hiking.

Quote Originally Posted by dcdennis View Post
    if you are planning a thruhike, and dont already know the answer to this question, i am concerned for your safety.
    that is just silly - every year there are many hundreds of examples of people with no prior experience completing an AT thru hike

Quote Originally Posted by BLRBrennan View Post
    Hi sorry to spam y’all but I am planning a thru hike starting in mid March and looking into the Enlightened Equipment revelation quilt. I’ve looked online looking for answers but there are so many different opinions I figured I’d just ask here. Anyways there are options like 20 degree 10 degree, 850 to 950 fill. All that good stuff. So anyone have any experience with this quilt on the AT? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    20 degree quit is fine it will be a little cold on the coldest night and too warm on the hottest but will fit the majority of conditions. 800-850 fill is fine, 950 is not worth the extra cost just to gain a slight savings in weight/pack slightly smaller.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by D2maine View Post
    that is just silly - every year there are many hundreds of examples of people with no prior experience completing an AT thru hike
    Of course but the OP is leaving in mid March....4 wks.
    Which indicated his knowledge gathering and procurement of gear is little behind normal schedule.

At least to those that noticed that detail.

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    Of course but the OP is leaving in mid March....4 wks.
    Which indicated his knowledge gathering and procurement of gear is little behind normal schedule.

At least to those that noticed that detail.
    4 weeks would hardly effect "safety". i am sure the OP is smart enough to purchase a quilt or bag in time to go on his hike (even if that means from another vendor) rather than starting the trail with nothing. Hell even starting with nothing the OP would quickly realize the mistake and could easily rectify the issue at any number of outfitters located near the beginning of the trail.

to call into question somebody's "safety" because they were asking about quilt options a full month prior to leaving on the hike is just silly.

Hey everyone I’m sorry I haven’t replied at all, been a little busy and there’s a good conversation. I did end up going with the 10 degree because I am planning on sleeping in shelters occasionally. Also I am a bit of a cold sleeper and it only added about 3 ounces. I did have a bag I was planning on using ended up giving It to my friend because wasn’t 100 percent happy with it so that is why this is so last minute. Anyways thanks for all of your guys help. Hope to see some of you on the trail!

Good luck!
    Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    Good luck!
    Wayne
    So … would you advise a synthetic quilt instead of a down quilt for wet conditions (such as the AT)?

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by D2maine View Post
    4 weeks would hardly effect "safety". i am sure the OP is smart enough to purchase a quilt or bag in time to go on his hike (even if that means from another vendor) rather than starting the trail with nothing. Hell even starting with nothing the OP would quickly realize the mistake and could easily rectify the issue at any number of outfitters located near the beginning of the trail.

to call into question somebody's "safety" because they were asking about quilt options a full month prior to leaving on the hike is just silly.
    I don't recall anyone. Questioning anyone's safety. Only preparedness....

I’ve had a 20* enigma for a few years. Comfortable (to me) with an xtherm to about 27ish. I sent it in to get overstuffed. They said it’s now rated to about 12. If I was going to be out for extended time with a temp ranging for 10-25 at night I would absolutely bring my rev 40* to layer them together. Even if the 40 stayed in the bag when it could it’s 15oz that is worth it to me. The wind could be howling. 99% of your gear could be wet. Who knows I sure don’t.

I’ve never been down south that time of year but anything can happen anywhere anytime of year. It’s not like you are taking a trip to the Caribbean and you can just grab an extra towel from the rack when you need it. Yes I’d assume if you can make it through the night the likeliness of a town the next day isn’t out of the cards but still. Like everyone is saying you gotta know your gear, and if you don’t you’re gonna find out real quick if it works or not. Quilts are finicky in my opinion but best for 3 season.

My girlfriend and I've had our 20* Accomplice down into the teens, in a tent. We were warm, but we were wearing our lightweight puffy jackets with hoods while we slept. I think the temps on EE quilts are pretty close. If it gets any colder than that, we switch to -30F sleeping bags.

Quote Originally Posted by Traillium View Post
    So … would you advise a synthetic quilt instead of a down quilt for wet conditions (such as the AT)?
    I realize you were asking Wayne, but I'll pipe in.
    A lot (most?) of the hikers seem to use down. I understand the concern with moisture, but stuffed size and weight seem to win out in most people's decision making.
    I, too, chose down - and I am very careful about keeping it dry. I bought a "dry down" bag, and I keep it in a trash bag after it's put inside it's water resistant stuff sack.

I have seen some kids (boy scouts?) hiking with the inexpensive synthetic bags rolled up and strapped to the outside of their packs.... but it's a rare sight to see an adult who has chosen to spend some money on his/her desired activity with a bulky and heavy synthetic sleeping bag hiking along the trail (or in a shelter).

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++