WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Quote Originally Posted by MtDoraDave View Post
    I realize you were asking Wayne, but I'll pipe in.
    A lot (most?) of the hikers seem to use down. I understand the concern with moisture, but stuffed size and weight seem to win out in most people's decision making.
    I, too, chose down - and I am very careful about keeping it dry. I bought a "dry down" bag, and I keep it in a trash bag after it's put inside it's water resistant stuff sack.

I have seen some kids (boy scouts?) hiking with the inexpensive synthetic bags rolled up and strapped to the outside of their packs.... but it's a rare sight to see an adult who has chosen to spend some money on his/her desired activity with a bulky and heavy synthetic sleeping bag hiking along the trail (or in a shelter).
    I’ll disregard — with respect — your last paragraph. I’m talking about modern lightweight synthetic quilts, not “bulky and heavy synthetic sleeping bags”.

Compare 3 versions of Enlightened Equipment Enigma quilt: all 20 degree, Long length, Regular width (as fits me):

EE Enigma 950 down ($474) 18.84 oz
    EE Enigma 750 down ($376) 20.32 oz
    EE Enigma Apex (Climashield) ($263) 30.72 oz

The price differences are dramatic. The weights are significant. What I cannot compare is the compressibility, though I suspect it’s noticeable — and as I’ve noted elsewhere (cooksets) — perhaps of more significance to me.

So I’m ‘paying the price’ of weight and volume to carry synthetic. I am also gaining some security of warmth during continued wet times. (I follow procedures similar to MtDoraDave’s to maintain dryness.)

Comments?

[BTW, I’ve just finished a DIY Climashield underquilt with materials bought (and excellent sewing advice) from Gerrit Hofman at HOGS Hofman Outdoor Gear Supply up here in Canada. I’ve yet to test it outside, as it’s a 32 degree F construction and it was down to about 10 degrees F last night. The total cost is less than half what I paid for the EE Enigma Apex topquilt (admittedly a more complex sewing design). As a senior on a fixed income, that’s significant. Total production time: 7 hours. Finished and compressed size: about 2 nalgenes, and weighing 590 grams. About the same size and weight as the awkward inflatable pad I’ve been using.]

Quote Originally Posted by Traillium View Post
    So … would you advise a synthetic quilt instead of a down quilt for wet conditions (such as the AT)?
    I would use a synthetic quilt in higher temperatures not wetter conditions.
    Wayne

I didn’t see your comparison until now.
    1. I don’t believe in 950 Down for a variety of reasons starting with the testing process.
    2. Personal choice on your list: 750 Down.
    I’m in awe of your DIY talent. Would that I could do that.
    All the best to you!
    Wayne

I’ll disregard — with respect — your last paragraph. I’m talking about modern lightweight synthetic quilts, not “bulky and heavy synthetic sleeping bags”.

Compare 3 versions of Enlightened Equipment Enigma quilt: all 20 degree, Long length, Regular width (as fits me):

The price differences are dramatic. The weights are significant. What I cannot compare is the compressibility, though I suspect it’s noticeable — and as I’ve noted elsewhere (cooksets) — perhaps of more significance to me.

So I’m ‘paying the price’ of weight and volume to carry synthetic. I am also gaining some security of warmth during continued wet times. (I follow procedures similar to MtDoraDave’s to maintain dryness.)

Comments?

[BTW, I’ve just finished a DIY Climashield underquilt with materials bought (and excellent sewing advice) from Gerrit Hofman at HOGS Hofman Outdoor Gear Supply up here in Canada. I’ve yet to test it outside, as it’s a 32 degree F construction and it was down to about 10 degrees F last night. The total cost is less than half what I paid for the EE Enigma Apex topquilt (admittedly a more complex sewing design). As a senior on a fixed income, that’s significant. Total production time: 7 hours. Finished and compressed size: about 2 nalgenes, and weighing 590 grams. About the same size and weight as the awkward inflatable pad I’ve been using.]
    Your prices seem off on EE Enigma and don’t offer 750 down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by saltysack View Post

Taken right off their website. In Am$ too, I think.

Taken right off their website. In Am$ too, I think.

I think you ned to check you facts and figures. No 750 down and. Reg reg 850 down 20° quilt is $290 us

EE doesn’t use 750, lowest is an 850.

Specs are here: https://support.enlightenedequipment...2191668-Enigma

Off the shelf prices are here: https://enlightenedequipment.com/quilts-on-the-shelf/

Custom built prices maybe...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Leonidas

I use the APEX Enigma, have 2 actually. I like them for the East Coast because of the dampness. I have a 40* Reg/Reg and a 50* Long/Wide. The plan is when we start doing colder weather camping, pickup a 850 fill short/slim Enigma for the wife and a 850 fill reg/reg for myself to layer inside the 40* and 50* respectively. The weight for the combo and added versatility is only ~26oz for 20* temp rating.

I took the 40* on the Pinhoti Trail last week for some very damp days with nights in the low 40s. I used a 1.3R pad as I haven't grabbed a cold appropriate one and was comfortable every night. The coldest night I was wearing: merino wool tshirt, UA cold gear tights, darn tough boot socks, my synthetic MH puffy and a MH toque. The only time I ever felt cold was occasionally my hands would slip out from under the quilt and I would wake up with a cold hand.

I sleep hot so YMMV.
    AT: 695.7 mi
    Benton MacKaye Trail '20
    Pinhoti Trail '18-19'
    @leonidasonthetrail https://www.youtube.com/c/LeonidasontheTrail

Quote Originally Posted by Cheyou View Post
    I think you ned to check you facts and figures. No 750 down and. Reg reg 850 down 20° quilt is $290 us
    Correct. Only 850-900-950.

I'm old enough to remember when 550 was common and 750 was considered ethereally light.

I've got an older Enigma made with 800 duck down and it is perfectly fine for me. My most-used quilt.

Hiked up Kearsarge North and spent the night in the fire tower during the snow storm that blew through. GF had a 30* Katabatic flex quilt and I had my 30* EE Prodigy and we through our 20* Accomplice over both of us. We slept on Thermorest Z-lite Sol and a Ridgerest with our Exped Synmat Hyperlight duo on top. We stayed nice and toasty. The temps were in the low teens, I believe. Woke up a few times due a draft on my back, but shifted the inner quilt back over and it was fine. Woke up with snow blowing on my face through the cracks in the windows. Moving the bed over solved that problem. Kept our water bottles between us in insulated bottle boots and they were still lukewarm in the morning. Slept in baselayers.

The sleep system wasuch lighter stacking quilts than lugging 8 pounds of feathers up the mountain.

I used a 30 deg. Feathered Friends bag (32 ounces) in 1994 hiking from Maine to Harpers Ferry. Started in late August and finished in early December. It was snowing when I left the trail and temps regularly were in the 20s. Hell... is was cold many nights throughout the trip. I still have that bag and my wife uses it when we hike. I'm too fat to fit in it anymore and use a synthetic quilt (30 deg.) which I supplement with down jacket, footies, and hood as needed.

I'd have no problem using a 20 deg. quilt. I wouldn't bother buying a 2nd warmer quilt until you found you really needed it. You have no idea what is going to happen so buy the right gear for the conditions you start in and there is nothing to stop you (other than $$) from swapping it out later if you have the need. You will be in better shape, more knowledgeable about your needs, and there is nothing these days that stops you from shopping while you are on the trail and having an item drop shipped to resupply point as needed.

Comments?

I'd stick with down. I have a synthetic quilt so I'm sort of a hypocrite but plenty of people have hiked the entire trail with down bags and lived to tell of it.

Quote Originally Posted by saltysack View Post
    I admit my mistake. No 750 Enigma. Only 850/900/950 as Saltysack & Cheyou corrected me. Sloppy transcribing on my behalf. Sorry.

I admit my mistake. No 750 Enigma. Only 850/900/950 as Saltysack & Cheyou corrected me. Sloppy transcribing on my behalf. Sorry.
    No worries....only reason I posted as I’ve bought 2 Enigmas and they were around $300 w 850......

Here’s my almost-finished DIY looong underquilt using Climashield Apex from HOGS equipment in Brandon, Manitoba.

Check out the Thermarest Proton technical blanket.
    It's waterproof, I throw it over my 20 degree UGQ top quilt (2oz overstuffed footbox) and have slept comfortable down to 6 degrees F.
    I bought it onsale for $52.00

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++