WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Base layers for a cold-natured SOBO

Hello all,

I am starting a SOBO thru-hike of the AT on June 1 of 2018.

I have lived in the south a number of years, so I am unsure of what weights of base layers I need (i.e. lightweight, midweight, expedition) that time of year at Kathadin.

I was looking at buying a thermal weight capilene Patagonia top and a midweight capilene Patagonia top (both long sleeved), paired with a single lightweight bottom (likely just for sleeping). When the weather warmed up, I was planning on ditching the long sleeved tops and just holding on to a Smartwool 150 base layer tee shirt.

What weights of stuff do you all suggest for different sections, especially for the start?

Thanks!

Lightweight capilene will be warm enough. Its not like you will be hiking in it much. Too warm. Save it for sleeping in. Long pants, shell pants, and long sleeve shirt, fleece jacket and shell jacket for the summit, puffy if you need it. Once off the summit of Katahdin and down in the trees, you will be warm enough again.

Hopefully, the trails will be open by tben

In June, you need good wind gear as its the wind chills that can get you more than then actual temps up high. Just carry enough gear to cover your all of your skin including your face. If you are moving, you dont need much for insulation especially if you have a wind shell on. I routinely climb Mt Washington in May and June with just wind gear, a lightweight poly pro top and bottom. If its windy I add a pair of glove liners and possibly light mittens (spare socks work for mittens) and a balaclava. I carry a fleece in my pack but its very rare it gets used when hiking. I rarely carry wind pants, rather I buy my shell long so it covers my butt. Many folks hike in shorts in the spring and I now a few who hike all winter in them. Its pretty rare to get cold legs while hiking unless its windy and generally just the polypro on the legs is enough to keep warm.

I second the comment that hope the summit is open June 1st.

Quote Originally Posted by lukejmills View Post
    Hello all,

I am starting a SOBO thru-hike of the AT on June 1 of 2018.

I have lived in the south a number of years, so I am unsure of what weights of base layers I need (i.e. lightweight, midweight, expedition) that time of year at Kathadin.

I was looking at buying a thermal weight capilene Patagonia top and a midweight capilene Patagonia top (both long sleeved), paired with a single lightweight bottom (likely just for sleeping). When the weather warmed up, I was planning on ditching the long sleeved tops and just holding on to a Smartwool 150 base layer tee shirt.

What weights of stuff do you all suggest for different sections, especially for the start?

Thanks!
    That's exactly my system---I wear two sandwiched Patagonia capilene tops as one midlayer---a Patagonia large midweight capilene under an x-large Patagonia thermal weight with the hood---and the hood does an excellent job of heat regulation when hiking if needed.

P1000311-XL.jpg
    Here's a pic of my patagonia in action on the BMT. Under it all I wear a long sleeve silk top which adds comfort under the sometimes scratchy capilene.

If you want to stay warmer both in camp and on the trail, you can ditch the capilene and go with heavier merino Icebreaker zip neck tops---and sandwich them the same way with a 260 wt top under a 320 wt top, as below---
    TRIP 91 140-L.jpg
    And with an icebreaker balaclava you've got the whole system.

++ New Posts ++