WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

In a big way, the GET is just that! For me, it was an incredible journey through a part of the Appalachians that very few LD backpackers have traveled. I loved every moment of that trip and go back for long sections when I can.

Quote Originally Posted by Mags View Post
    Who needs an official trail? Just get some maps, connect the trails as appropriate (road walk? existing single track? bike paths?), and say you went for a walk in the Appalachians.

Quote Originally Posted by kf1wv View Post
    No apology necessary, Dogwood! The ST runs through Kentucky's Cumberland Falls Resort State Park (which is not the same as Lake Cumberland State Resort Park). The GET in Kentucky doglegs from the Pine Mountain State Scenic Trail through Cumberland Gap National Historic Park, connecting to Tennessee's Cumberland Trail (a.k.a. Justin P. Wilson Cumberland Trail State Park, whose headquarters is in Cumberland Mountain State Park). Confusing, oh yes. Even I had to look it up all over again, and I've hiked the GET through there twice.
    Don't sweat it. I've thrued the ST twice and still mistakenly assumed it was part of the GET.

You nailed in your PM why I made that mistake.

I'm shutting up now. I don't want to opine anymore. Batting avg for veracity is shot to he'll already on this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by kf1wv View Post
    No apology necessary, Dogwood! The ST runs through Kentucky's Cumberland Falls Resort State Park (which is not the same as Lake Cumberland State Resort Park). The GET in Kentucky doglegs from the Pine Mountain State Scenic Trail through Cumberland Gap National Historic Park, connecting to Tennessee's Cumberland Trail (a.k.a. Justin P. Wilson Cumberland Trail State Park, whose headquarters is in Cumberland Mountain State Park). Confusing, oh yes. Even I had to look it up all over again, and I've hiked the GET through there twice.
    Also, the GET passes much closer to Cumberland, Maryland, than it does to the Cumberland Valley of Cumberland County, PA (where Boiling Springs is). I understand Prince William, Duke of Cumberland, was something of a jerk, but well known around 1750 just in time for place naming in what was then the Appalachian penumbra of Euro-American settlement.

I don't know if there is any connection to Cumberland Farms, though.

Confusion about the GET is normal.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    Don't sweat it. I've thrued the ST twice and still mistakenly assumed it was part of the GET. **snip**

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
++ New Posts ++