WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Exclamation Map link for the IAT's southernmost section in Katahdin Woods and Waters.

The East Branch section.
    Map link.
    Teej

"[ATers] represent three percent of our use and about twenty percent of our effort," retired Baxter Park Director Jensen Bissell.

Thanks!

Do you know if the stretch of the Katahdin Lake Trail in Baxter, east of Katahdin Lake Wilderness camps is still in being maintained? I'm under the impression that they discontinued maintenance on that stretch.

I am the Vice-President of the Maine Chapter of the IAT. The trail inside Baxter State Park east of Katahdin Lake Wilderness Camps was actually been closed by the Baxter State Park (BSP) Authority in December 2016. However, some hikers requested permission to hike out that way from Baxter in 2017 to the IAT in the KW&W national monument It would be best to request permission from BSP at 207-723-5140 before hiking this way. See https://www.internationalatmaine.org...of-guides-maps for the most up-to-date information on the IAT in Maine.

Quote Originally Posted by countyee View Post
    I am the Vice-President of the Maine Chapter of the IAT. The trail inside Baxter State Park east of Katahdin Lake Wilderness Camps was actually been closed by the Baxter State Park (BSP) Authority in December 2016. However, some hikers requested permission to hike out that way from Baxter in 2017 to the IAT in the KW&W national monument It would be best to request permission from BSP at 207-723-5140 before hiking this way. See https://www.internationalatmaine.org...of-guides-maps for the most up-to-date information on the IAT in Maine.
    Thank you for confirming the closure of that stretch of trail. I brought it up here because it may be a surprise to those who are using a map which shows an existing trail that exits Baxter and connects with the IAT. To be clear, that trail does not exist anymore and from my understanding, has already started to be reclaimed. Those planning to extend their AT hike to the IAT should take that into consideration .

Thank you for the work you do with the IAT. I may see you out there this Summer.

Thanks for the update! It explains why IAT signage in the NM was removed last summer.
    Map link for the IAT's southernmost section in Katahdin Woods and Waters, updated in May 2017.
    Teej

"[ATers] represent three percent of our use and about twenty percent of our effort," retired Baxter Park Director Jensen Bissell.

That is good to know. But what does the AT through-hiker do to get onto the IAT after summiting Katahdin? What do you recommend? I can see how to use the Baxter State Park trails to get to Katahdin Lake. But if that connection is closed, there must be some alternative . . .

Unless there is substantial change in park policy, I don't see BSP supporting anyone exiting or entering the park via anywhere besides the two gates and the AT (although the old Nesowadnehunk entrance still seems to get a small amount of use).

Quote Originally Posted by Cloudwalker2009 View Post
    That is good to know. But what does the AT through-hiker do to get onto the IAT after summiting Katahdin? What do you recommend? I can see how to use the Baxter State Park trails to get to Katahdin Lake. But if that connection is closed, there must be some alternative . . .
    Both Baxter and IAT want you to exit the Park via the Togue Pond gatehouse. IAT folks have flagged a hike around from the Millinocket Lake Road up into KWWNM via logging roads. Plans are to move it off the roads and add one or two lean-tos. That hike-around will become the official IAT route.
    Teej

++ New Posts ++