WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Maine Woods National Monument (again)

I would like to take a weeklong hike in the Maine Woods NM. I know the IAT goes through there, but is there also a network of other trails in the area? Any suggested maps?

Also, are these areas as rugged as the 100 Mile Wilderness or is it somewhat easier to traverse?
    Thanks,
    Steve

There isa free map you can download on line. I dont think anyone has gotten around to making a guide yet. A FYI is the resentment of some of the locals and the Maine governor means the signage to the park is slim to nonexistent. When I tried to get to the park last summer to visit it, the approach from the south was not marked and the local gas station in Sherman Mills had no clue. There are detailed instructions on the website so make sure to download them before you go.

There is a tempting long loops through BSP and I expect with some planning you could do two nights in BSP (Roaring Brook and South Branch) to link up the Southerly IAT and the northerly end of the IAT although it will require making reservations in BSP

There is lot of wishing and hoping on what will be in the park at some point and the family had put in place the basis of a park but most reports indicate that its work in progress slowed down by the federal governments involvement. I think they finally got the road up to snuff for passenger vehicles as the previous year it was only recommended for high ground clearance vehicles.

Quote Originally Posted by stevebo View Post
    I would like to take a weeklong hike in the Maine Woods NM. I know the IAT goes through there, but is there also a network of other trails in the area? Any suggested maps?

Also, are these areas as rugged as the 100 Mile Wilderness or is it somewhat easier to traverse?
    Thanks,
    Steve
    Here is a map that may help.
    https://www.nps.gov/kaww/planyourvis...int_11by17.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by putts View Post

That's great, thanks! It doesn't appear that there are too many contours, but on the other hand it's not clear how many feet between contours. But this is a great start.

I would like to take a weeklong hike in the Maine Woods NM. I know the IAT goes through there, but is there also a network of other trails in the area? Any suggested maps? Also, are these areas as rugged as the 100 Mile Wilderness or is it somewhat easier to traverse?
    Thanks for posting the map link, Putts. Join our FB group stevebo, we have NM trail stewards and folks who have done the IAT through the NM. Nothing as big as as WhiteCap or Nesuntabunt here. Katahdin Woods And Waters National Monument.

...the approach from the south was not marked and the local gas station in Sherman Mills had no clue.
    They knew exactly where it was and how to get there. They just hate Roxanne and the NM.
    Locals are shooting themselves in the financial foot.
    Teej

"[ATers] represent three percent of our use and about twenty percent of our effort," retired Baxter Park Director Jensen Bissell.

I know where you are coming from but folks from outside the area are not going to get involved in the regional politics, all they need to know is they may have some issues getting to the monument and to be prepared.

Join our FB group stevebo
    Joined, thanks!

The Maine governor is going to allow the high way signs to be put up so folks can find KWW.

https://bangordailynews.com/2018/04/...hdin-monument/

Interesting to note the numbers of visitors last year, just as many folks on snowmobiles in the winter (on trails that pre-exist the monument) as summer visitors. Maybe the signs will help, It would have for me as I drove over from Baxter on a whim and as posted previously couldn't find a way in.

++ New Posts ++