WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6

Maybe I've missed it being mentioned here, but if mice in the backcountry are wild animals and by this being protected, isn't it prohibited then to feed them for the very same reason?

Seriously, we have a 98yr old aunt living in our house, and a few years back when we could still leave her alone for several days to go out hiking, one day when we came back she had covered the whole kitchen table bith breadcrumbs. A mess.
    Asked why she'd done this, she said she had intended to keep the mice off her crochetwork (her main business all day long).
    Sure enough, from then on we had a heavy mouse plague it took us weeks to fight back, and her nice handcraft got chewed up by mice anyway.

"Feeding the mice"....This is a typical Georgia March quote from the all so experienced Appalachian Trail Thru Hiker community!!! What a blessing they are to the trail. They trade in there hipster leather shoes and offset butt cut hairdos and are gunna go walk the trail, probably think that the soundtrack to "A Walk in the Woods" will be playing around them the whole time! And people standing at the road crossings cheering for them like at a marathon!!!!!

Some others that I have enjoyed are:
    "The reason it is important to stay on the trail is because they spray the trail with deet."
    "I am so thankful that people blow the leaved off the trail every morning, they must start early because I haven't seen them yet but it shore is nice walking on the trail without any leaves"
    And then there was the guy at Bull Gap, just north of Neel Gap that at bed time layed down on a blue tarp and got his buddy to roll him up in it like a burrito for a shelter. It rained all night lol
    Trail Miles: 4,927.6
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 0.0
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Cabin Fever is killing me!! I actually find this thread interesting!! God I hope my doctor releases me to hike tomorrow, I have to get off here.

Quote Originally Posted by Gambit McCrae View Post
    "
    Some others that I have enjoyed are:

"The reason it is important to stay on the trail is because they spray the trail with deet."

"I am so thankful that people blow the leaved off the trail every morning, they must start early because I haven't seen them yet but it shore is nice walking on the trail without any leaves"

And then there was the guy at Bull Gap, just north of Neel Gap that at bed time layed down on a blue tarp and got his buddy to roll him up in it like a burrito for a shelter. It rained all night lol

Well, rolled up like a burrito he may have stayed dry. Grandma Moses managed that with a shower curtain.

Letting himself Burrito-rolled by a servant was common practice by some old time world famous explorers like Sven Hedin, hiking for years on end through Tibet and other Himalayan countries as the first White Man.
    Of course he had no plastic tarp.
    And mice was the tiniest of critter problems he'd had to face.

People also didn't know that smoking would kill you back then, don't mean it aint stupid
    Trail Miles: 4,927.6
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 0.0
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Images

leave a light on . you can buy cheap headlamps from wally world for a buck that are not to bright but bright enough to keep the mice away . i set them up near me and the mice never bother me . when the lights go out the mice start their mischevious ways . the way i see it feeding the mice is not the answer and we are in their territory so killing them is just mean . it is all about the experience ... love all creatures ... peace my friend ... the light thing does work

Journal Entries

Quick question about mice in general... I found one dead on in an old flower vase under my kitchen sink about a month or two ago. Never saw any signs of them anywhere in the house at all. Our house is only about 6 years old now. I have 2 dogs so I feel sure if they were running rampant in my house we would have detected something. Not to mention, our house is relatively clean all the time. Needless to say, I was shocked and grossed out!!! My question is, are mice like roaches and fleas, in that if you have one, you have a problem, or is it possible one just came in and that's it?
    " Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt. "

Traps are cheap - you should probably get one, set it, place in same location, and find out. If you catch another, you're going to need to find out how they're getting in. I don't think it'll be enough to poison or kill the ones that reach the inside of your house. More will come until you block their entrance.

Journal Entries

Thanks! Will do. I had hoped it was a one time event, but I will do the trap test and see if another one shows up.

Quote Originally Posted by Lnj View Post
    Quick question about mice in general... I found one dead on in an old flower vase under my kitchen sink about a month or two ago. Never saw any signs of them anywhere in the house at all. Our house is only about 6 years old now. I have 2 dogs so I feel sure if they were running rampant in my house we would have detected something. Not to mention, our house is relatively clean all the time. Needless to say, I was shocked and grossed out!!! My question is, are mice like roaches and fleas, in that if you have one, you have a problem, or is it possible one just came in and that's it?
    Well, I once saw a mouse that had a litter of nine...you do the math.

Get a cat!

Journal Entries

!!!!!!!!!!!!!! No cat. My blue heeler wouldn't have it. I do have 2 sugar gliders in a cage who probably would not be amused with a cat either. But I'll do the trap and if I catch one, I 'm calling in the pros. and scouring my house for tiny exterior holes.

Journal Entries

My wife had a mouse jump out of a garage cabinet and land on her arm one day when our house is 1 year old. Only Mouse we had ever seen.

Over the next week I killed 34 in a couple traps in the garage and attic. Gave up and put out packets of poison bait when it slowed.

Turns out a bag of birdseed in the garage cabinet had turned that cabinet into Mouse City.

Journal Entries
    Images

we would get one in the basement with the change in seasons. I had the stone foundation remortared and that ended it. Our two cats would sit and watch it in the basement, no killers there.
    76 HawkMtn w/Rangers
    14 LHHT
    15 Girard/Quebec/LostTurkey/Saylor/Tuscarora/BlackForest
    16 Kennerdell/Cranberry-Otter/DollyS/WRim-NCT
    17 BearR
    18-19,22 AT NOBO 1562.2
    22 Hadrian's Wall
    23 Cotswold Way

Your cats have to be related to mine! I watched one of the outside cats watch a mouse steal food from bowl in the middle of the day! Actually I think he may have been afraid of it!

Images

I know I'm late on this, and I rarely post anymore on this forum (always lurking), but I had to break the silence when I read this post. Selfish selfish selfish.
    Daddy made whiskey and he made it well.
    Cost two dollars and it burned like hell.
    I cut hick'ry just to fire the still,
    Drink down a bottle and be ready to kill.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6
++ New Posts ++