WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Hyke and Byke Sleeping bag

I am thinking of ordering this sleeping bag, because I am on a budget and planning a thru hike starting in mid March NOBO. Does anyone have any experience with this bag? People say it’s a good bag only worried about warmth and durability. Looks like a fine bag for weekend trips not too sure about a thru hike. Also it is a little heavy but nothing crazy.

PS this is my first post

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey, I have no real experience with the bag, but I too was looking to buy one of their bags and reached out to them with some questions and...they never responded! That was may answer I guess. Take into account that they add feather to the down. Maybe some positive, but many negative. Here is what I ended up buying Haven't had it out in the field yet, but was happy with what I saw.

Quote Originally Posted by mhutt View Post
    Hey, I have no real experience with the bag, but I too was looking to buy one of their bags and reached out to them with some questions and...they never responded! That was may answer I guess. Take into account that they add feather to the down. Maybe some positive, but many negative. Here is what I ended up buying Haven't had it out in the field yet, but was happy with what I saw.
    Thanks! I’ve heard good things about OV but never have looked into this, may end up getting this.

Quote Originally Posted by BLRBrennan View Post
    Thanks! I’ve heard good things about OV but never have looked into this, may end up getting this.

I am on a tight budget for my trip and REALLY needed to reduce weight. By purchasing this bag, I reduced almost 2lbs and with it being a 2017 closeout, I saved like $50. OV on the other hand, responded to my question quickly (by next day).

If you guys are looking for inexpensive bags that have some kind of a decent reputation for thru-hiking type use, I would look into a Kelty Cosmic Down bag. I would strongly discourage cutting corners on sleeping bags or backpacks for extended used, like thru-hiking. Most of the rest of your gear you can cut corners on, but those two items are too central to success and to hard to make highly functional without a fairly high level of both materials and workmanship.
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

I have the Outdoor Vitals 20 degree Summit bag and have about 30 nights sleeping in it. Most of my use is with the night time temperature range of 23-32 degrees and the bag has keep me completely warm. I am completely satisfied with this bag.

That OV bag looks pretty decent for the price and has really great reviews. I wouldn't call this bag Cutting corners, I would say it is sacrificing a little weight for a better price. If I hadn't just purchased a UGQ Bandit Quilt this is probably what I would have gone with.

Check out HG Econ quilts...

Quote Originally Posted by saltysack View Post
    Check out HG Econ quilts...

THIS ^^^

I've had a Hammock Gear Burrow for years and it's one of my favorite pieces of equipment. When they released the Econ versions I was pretty shocked at the price vs. quality. Made in the USA per your specifications by hikers...only a few companies offer that

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

++ New Posts ++