WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Georgia A.T. Loops Suggestions

I usually have to do a long workday Friday and a 7-hour drive to get to the trailheads, and whatever section I hike I have to do it overnight Saturday through Sunday and then drive 7 hours home. I've done the point to point and then turn around. A few weeks ago I did the loop up to the A.T. at Standing Indian, and now I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions on loops that they've done and enjoyed that are like the Standing Indian loop that are closer to Florida that NC. I've been up to Blood Mountain and Tray recently too, and wouldn't mind going there again, but ideally it'd be better somewhere else along the A.T., yet still closer to home so as to spend more time on the trail than on the road.

Does anyone have some suggestions.

There is the Georgia Loop. It's approximately 60 miles. A triangle made up of AT, Benton MacKaye Trail and Duncan Ridge Trail. There are a few different places to put-in. For instance, Woody Gap on the AT. Going counter-clockwise, it's north on the AT to half way up Blood Mountain. Then west on the DRT till you hit the BMT at Rhodes Mountain. South on the BMT to the AT at Long Falls. The north on the back to Woody Gap.

Parking lot at Neels Gap is also an option, but you add a few miles getting to the Loop. The DRT turn off is also VERY easy to miss going southbound dowwn Blood Mountain.

I did this last summer. The DRT portion was unexpectedly strenuous. I can give more info & details if you want.

Quote Originally Posted by TimOnWhiteBlaze View Post
    I usually have to do a long workday Friday and a 7-hour drive to get to the trailheads, and whatever section I hike I have to do it overnight Saturday through Sunday and then drive 7 hours home. I've done the point to point and then turn around. A few weeks ago I did the loop up to the A.T. at Standing Indian, and now I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions on loops that they've done and enjoyed that are like the Standing Indian loop that are closer to Florida that NC. I've been up to Blood Mountain and Tray recently too, and wouldn't mind going there again, but ideally it'd be better somewhere else along the A.T., yet still closer to home so as to spend more time on the trail than on the road.

Does anyone have some suggestions.

Of course I paid no attention to your time constraints, with my post.

Coosa Backcountry Trail? It's a loop about 12.5 miles long. Too short perhaps? If so, you could do an out/back on a side trail such as the AT or Slaughter Creek Trail. Coosa Backcountry Trail is part of Vogel State Park, so it does require permits for camping.

Coosa would be a good choice. Although short, it is highly recommended to plan it as a 2-day hike. Lots of elevation gain and loss.

Quote Originally Posted by royalusa View Post
    Coosa Backcountry Trail? It's a loop about 12.5 miles long. Too short perhaps? If so, you could do an out/back on a side trail such as the AT or Slaughter Creek Trail. Coosa Backcountry Trail is part of Vogel State Park, so it does require permits for camping.
    If Coosa is too short, you could make it a figure 8 loop by connecting with the AT and doing the Slaughter Creek-AT Loop.

Check out the Cohutta Wilderness. There are tons of trails through there that pretty much all connect. You can do as big or as small of a loop as you would like. I recommend getting the Nat Geo trails illustrated map for that area . I believe it is map 777. Good luck and happy trails.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

++ New Posts ++