WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Smokies

Default Smokies

I am planning on a section hike the first of March in the Smokies. I am Wondering how many hikers are out and about this time of year. Is this to early? Is there water?

There will be plenty of water and other hikers at this time. Be prepared for heavy rain and snow at higher altitudes.

Images

yeah.........

there will be no shortage of hikers.........

more than likely every shelter will be full...

Quote Originally Posted by Modified46 View Post
    I am planning on a section hike the first of March in the Smokies. I am Wondering how many hikers are out and about this time of year. Is this to early? Is there water?
    You’re talking about next week or the week after? Doing your long range planning now?
    Have you paid for and made your shelter reservations? That will give you priority over the thru hikers. Theoretically.
    Have a great hike!
    Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by sadlowskiadam View Post
    There will be plenty of water and other hikers at this time. Be prepared for heavy rain and snow at higher altitudes.
    Keep a close eye on the forecast in the days before you hike. However, even if it portends to be nice, I would prepare for the worst. Have your own tent, tarp, or hammock shelter in case there is no room for you.
    Find the LIGHT STUFF at QiWiz.net

The lightest cathole trowels, wood burning stoves, windscreens, spatulas,
    cooking options, titanium and aluminum pots, and buck saws on the planet

Yes I have my permits for March 2 and 3rd. It looks like the weather will be nice. I know that can change though.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by sadlowskiadam View Post
    With the record highs we've been having here in the South, I doubt snow is going to be an issue. However, the forecast is showing a dip in the temperatures starting next weekend. Expect temperatures around freezing at night at higher elevations.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TNhiker View Post
    yeah.........
    there will be no shortage of hikers.........
    more than likely every shelter will be full...
    Did a quick check of random AT shelters at the permit website. Most show availability for several more hikers, but I'm pretty sure this doesn't include people with a thru-hiker permit. If the thru numbers are high, yeah, those shelters could be full. But not as bad as a few weeks later!

I am leaving for my trip tomorrow, any news on the weather at Newfoundland gap going north bound? When I look at reports I get different answers. I am section hiking Friday thru Sunday to standing bear farm.

Weather for Tricorner Knobe shelter (5920')

Today: Rain showers. Cloudy, with a high near 52. Southwest wind around 14 mph, with gusts as high as 21 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%. New rainfall amounts between a half and three quarters of an inch possible.

Tonight: Rain showers. Cloudy, with a low around 45. West southwest wind 10 to 15 mph, with gusts as high as 23 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New rainfall amounts between 1 and 2 inches possible.

Thursday: Rain showers before 7am, then showers and thunderstorms. Cloudy, with a high near 53. West southwest wind 15 to 26 mph, with gusts as high as 40 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New rainfall amounts between 1 and 2 inches possible.

Thursday Night: Rain showers before 11pm, then a chance of snow showers. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 26. West northwest wind 23 to 32 mph, with gusts as high as 48 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80%. New rainfall amounts between a half and three quarters of an inch possible.

Friday: A slight chance of snow showers before 7am. Mostly sunny, with a high near 36. Northwest wind 20 to 28 mph, with gusts as high as 41 mph. Chance of precipitation is 20%.

Friday Night: Mostly clear, with a low around 22.

Saturday: Sunny, with a high near 41.

Saturday Night: Clear, with a low around 26.

Sunday: Sunny, with a high near 44.

Gunna be a wet/ cold one lol - I typically don't do my Smokies hike for the year till april
    Trail Miles: 4,927.6
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 0.0
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Leonidas

Check out ATWeather.org. Pretty sure that is what Gambit used to provide you with the forecast.
    AT: 695.7 mi
    Benton MacKaye Trail '20
    Pinhoti Trail '18-19'
    @leonidasonthetrail https://www.youtube.com/c/LeonidasontheTrail

Quote Originally Posted by JC13 View Post
    Check out ATWeather.org. Pretty sure that is what Gambit used to provide you with the forecast.
    Great for shelter specific forecasts. Also check mountain-forecast.com you can usually find the forecast at varying elevations.
    You can walk in another person's shoes, but only with your feet

I am staying at pecks corner shelter Friday night and I see that the shelter is fully booked now which means I will have some company. I am surprised it is full.

Leonidas

I am staying at pecks corner shelter Friday night and I see that the shelter is fully booked now which means I will have some company. I am surprised it is full.
    It is already thru-hiker season so not really surprising. With the mild weather, that probably pushed people outdoors as well. You may find multiple people who weren't ready for the forecast temp drop though. Enjoy your trip!
    Benton MacKaye Trail '20
    Pinhoti Trail '18-19'

Radar says that the system which left 7”-10” of rain in east Texas is currently parked over the Smokies as verified by the long range forecast above.
    Bring your own shelter.
    Wayne

Nothing more cozy than an AT shelter in the Smokies, during thru hiker season, on a weekend, while it is raining. Expect a very full shelter. Hopefully you will be pleasantly surprised by plenty of room and courteous bunkmates, but mentally prepare yourself for the opposite.

Okay I had a great hike over the weekend, met some good folks but I did realize I need better equipment for that kinda weather. It was very cold Friday everything froze including me. I have a 5 year old 40 degree sleeping bag and it did not do the job. I wore every piece of clothing I had and was still miserable at night. I want to upgrade my bag but don't want to spend a fortune as I don't normally hike in that kind of weather. Any suggestions?

Yeah. Get down to lower elevation trails in GSMNP. Get off the AT. It can easily mean a 6-10* temp increase, less exposure, lower winds, going from snow and freezing rain to rain even less rain. Why limit yourself to a ridge trail under your situation and when weather and the AT proper through GSMNP provides limited views? You can get those views on/right off the AT where they do occur, if that's the allure, by not limiting yourself to the AT.

Do you know how to adjust for weather differences based on elevation? We rarely have access to specific reported weather based on AT lean to location.

Leonidas

Okay I had a great hike over the weekend, met some good folks but I did realize I need better equipment for that kinda weather. It was very cold Friday everything froze including me. I have a 5 year old 40 degree sleeping bag and it did not do the job. I wore every piece of clothing I had and was still miserable at night. I want to upgrade my bag but don't want to spend a fortune as I don't normally hike in that kind of weather. Any suggestions?
    I can imagine how cold it must have been as it was 29* on the Approach Trail Friday night!
    Benton MacKaye Trail '20
    Pinhoti Trail '18-19'

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++