WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

That's a great hike. I completed it in May 2016. I carried the map pages and way points from the guide. Along with Guthook, that was all I needed. The trail is mostly well marked and maintained. There were only two spots where I was "lost" but not seriously, once where the trail follows a pipeline right of way: the trail left the ROW and was unmarked and overgrown. The second was searching for the Penny Campsite. A logging operation had pushed slash piles up along the side trail and it was impossible to navigate.

Prepare for ticks. They were extremely thick when I hiked, and I have seen ticks active every month of the year here. It just doesn't get cold enough for long enough to knock them back. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Zed View Post
    That's a great hike. I completed it in May 2016. I carried the map pages and way points from the guide. Along with Guthook, that was all I needed. The trail is mostly well marked and maintained. There were only two spots where I was "lost" but not seriously, once where the trail follows a pipeline right of way: the trail left the ROW and was unmarked and overgrown. The second was searching for the Penny Campsite. A logging operation had pushed slash piles up along the side trail and it was impossible to navigate.

Prepare for ticks. They were extremely thick when I hiked, and I have seen ticks active every month of the year here. It just doesn't get cold enough for long enough to knock them back. Good luck!
    Thanks for the heads up. I am going to soak my daytime clothes in permetherin and see how that goes and do the nighttime check. Reading the few trail journals I could find seemed to show a mixed bag of ticks March and April.

I'm going to hike east since it is easier to get off the trail in Little Rock and I only have 2 weeks of vacation so I don't want to futz around hitching at the other end.

Only time I’ve been lost was a short stint in Pennsylvania.

The darn “non-trail” had a white blaze ...

Guthook and my phone GPS showed me the real trail within a hundred yards.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++