WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Images

tagg, what cuben tarp do you have and what are the dimensions? cost? when im out with my wife we bring a standard big brown tarp with eyelets (we use our poles and guylines to stake it out) when it's forecast to rain and there's no shelter so we have a camp kitchen/lounge out of the rain. its not heavy maybe less than a pound and does the trick but its bulky and i'm curious to know if the cuben ones are equal size and ease of use with less weight and bulk and not too $$$.
    Doin' the trail one section at a time
    You can read about my adventures at
    http://happyonthetrails.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    After years of agonizing I purchased the StratoSpire 1 with part solid inner tent. I couldn’t be happier. The best part? Leaving the inner tent in the car when insects are not a problem. Like in Wyoming in September.
    Wayne
    I’m really surprised more people don’t chose the Stratospire over the Duplex.

Quote Originally Posted by TX Aggie View Post
    Someone here pointed me to look at it in another thread. It was certainly on my strong consideration list for a while. For me it was mostly about weight.....
    I like that the inner tent can be left out or put up later under the protection of the fly.....but I also don't like that ....adds complexity and weight
    didn't love the little corner pole things....just seemed a bit more complicated that it needs to be....and the silnylon. I'm not a fan of silicone much, and wanted to try the dyneema. Oh, I kinda like the idea of the sidecars too for the kids, but i figure i'd not be too likely to use those much if at all.... creative idea though.

It is an attractive design though in many ways.... I probably would have considered it even more if it was available in dyneema

Folks who only look at grams pick the Duplex.
    I think I could have a StratoSpire AND a Scarp for winter use for the price of the Duplex. Certainly very close.
    Just my personal opinion. Based on several decades of observation.
    Wayne
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    Folks who only look at grams pick the Duplex.
    I think I could have a StratoSpire AND a Scarp for winter use for the price of the Duplex. Certainly very close.
    Just my personal opinion. Based on several decades of observation.
    Wayne
    Probably a few more reasons too.
    Like non-sag cuben
    No need to seam seal the duplex
    Etc.

But...that may be about to change with intro of the Lithium. Henry held out as long as could. But changes are brewing at tarptent to get them back in the game.

There's also probably a lot more users out there to recommend duplex as well. It's been extremely popular I understand.

I'm not a big fan of the steep sides on either of those shelter for windy conditions. But they work fine 95% of the time for 95% of the people probably. Especially if you don't Camp above tree line on ridgelines.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 02-09-2018 at 03:42.

Quote Originally Posted by linus72 View Post
    tagg, what cuben tarp do you have and what are the dimensions? cost? when im out with my wife we bring a standard big brown tarp with eyelets (we use our poles and guylines to stake it out) when it's forecast to rain and there's no shelter so we have a camp kitchen/lounge out of the rain. its not heavy maybe less than a pound and does the trick but its bulky and i'm curious to know if the cuben ones are equal size and ease of use with less weight and bulk and not too $$$.
    I have a zpacks tarp - it's a few years old, but is pretty much the same thing as the current standard hammock tarp they have on their site, which is 11' x 8.5'. It's certainly lighter and packs down WAY smaller than your standard brown tarp, but is obviously more delicate. I've never had even the smallest of tears, but I'm obviously more careful with it than a cheap tarp. I suppose whether or not it's too much $$$ is a personal thing. New for $250 (although I think I paid a little more than that a few years ago), but totally worth it for me. Lots of other options out there for less money I suppose, but I'm admittedly a bit of a zpacks junkie.
    -tagg

The right tent helps a lot when setting up in the rain. I like the SMD Skyscape or Lightheart Solo, myself. Either one, you start by sticking your stuff inside while you set the stakes. The last step is to erect it from the inside with your hiking poles, and you're already out of the weather by then.

But a tarp still comes in handy if it's your poncho. It lets you stay dry while you dig out your tent. And in a real toad-strangler of a storm, any backpacking tent can get damp inside. I've spent more than a few nights sleeping under my poncho inside my tent, and was glad I had it.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Harrison Bergeron View Post
    I've spent more than a few nights sleeping under my poncho inside my tent, and was glad I had it.
    How did you use the poncho? Just drape it over your bag? I tried that once, for warmth rather than a secondary rain barrier, and found my body moisture escaping got trapped under the poncho and started getting the bag wet.

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    Probably a few more reasons too.
    Like non-sag cuben
    No need to seam seal the duplex
    Etc.

But...that may be about to change with intro of the Lithium. Henry held out as long as could. But changes are brewing at tarptent to get them back in the game.

There's also probably a lot more users out there to recommend duplex as well. It's been extremely popular I understand.

I'm not a big fan of the steep sides on either of those shelter for windy conditions. But they work fine 95% of the time for 95% of the people probably. Especially if you don't Camp above tree line on ridgelines.
    https://www.tarptent.com/stratospire2.html $349.00

http://www.tarptent.com/double-rainbow.html -- almost free standing -- Weight: 43 oz / 1.2 kg$289.00

Duplex Tent - $599

http://www.zpacks.com/shelter/duplex.shtml -- The total weight for the packed tent is 21.0 ounces (595 grams).

Not just a few ounces. More than a pound different.

https://www.facebook.com/tarptent/?h...fgnoEI&fref=nf

I am curious to see how the Lithium shakes out in weight, size, style and price.

For comparison https://www.rei.com/product/128908/b...-wall-ul2-tent $399 2 lbs. 3 oz. (or 35 ounces, between the 43 ounces and the 21 ounces)

And the Nemo Elite at $499.00

The Neo Elite has some interesting reviews. REI claims it doesn't taper, but Nemo indicates that it does. (e.g. from the REI site "
    The floor dimensions of the regular Hornet 2 are 85 x 51/43 (L x W head/foot). The width of the tent tapers down towards the foot. The Hornet Elite 2 does not have a taper which makes the floor dimensions 85 x 51 inches. The denier of the fabrics on the regular Hornet are thicker. The regular Hornet has bigger vestibules and a bigger peak height.")

Outdoor Gear Lab puts the
    Trail Weight: Fly/tarp, tent/optional bug net, poles.: 1 lb 11 oz

I'm not sure on the weight, which would be 27 ounces.

Anyway, those are the four major tents in the space (Big Agnes, Nemo, Tarptent and Zpacks).

I'll bet that by this fall things will be interesting.

I bring the Sea to SummIt UL Sil poncho tarp and use it to set up in rain before my tent I love having a tarp that sets up quick. I can get under it, change some clothes if needed and get my bearings before setting up my tent. Having a tarp for rainy days is one of the main reasons I’m shifting to a hammock. If I’m already carrying a tarp, might as well get the most use out of it.

Not me ! Hiking is a upper middle class thing. Money to burn.

Quote Originally Posted by Cheyou View Post
    Not me ! Hiking is a upper middle class thing. Money to burn.
    Not sure what that has to do with it, and I’m quite certain it’s not accurate, but whatever you think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As long as it is not windy our REI tent can be set up in the rain by doing the steps in reverse.

Pick a site with appropriate drainage.
    Clear debris.
    Lay out the poles.
    Cover them with the rain fly.
    Hook the corners of the poles into the rain fly grommets.
    Stake out the corners.
    Now you have your rain fly up covering your tent site.

Wait a bit for the ground underneath to dry. Then from under the rain fly:
    Put down ground cloth under the rain fly.
    Roll out the inner tent under the rain fly.
    Hook up the corners and inner attachments to poles.
    Do final stake out of corners.

Inner tent stays dry. Reverse steps if taking down in the rain. Drop the inner tent and roll up while under the rain fly. Take the rain fly down as the last step.

Practice at home in the sunshine, particularly if doing this with your wife as it minimizes yelling in the rain. Also insures a pleasant setup experience in the rain so you can snuggle and share body warmth inside your dry tent later instead of getting the cold shoulder.

Quote Originally Posted by Elaikases View Post
    https://www.facebook.com/tarptent/?h...fgnoEI&fref=nf

I am curious to see how the Lithium shakes out in weight, size, style and price.
    Me too.
    I was on TT.com looking at the teaser video when the chat box popped up. I asked for a hint... Cuben Notch?
    Was told "stay tuned"

The new shelter is the Dyneema version of the Notch with a couple of design changes that are also in the new version of the silnylon Notch.

20oz including stakes

nice, right after I just buy a duplex! Seems like that is happening to me a lot as I slowly gear up. Right after I buy something with much analysis, a new product comes out

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++