Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Journal Entries

Quick question about bear cans in general... The one reason they are the thing to get, besides regulations in some areas, is that the bear can't get to your food, but can/will just swat the can around til he gets bored and move on. That said... In the event this very thing happens in the night while you are sound asleep... how do you then find the toy/bear can in the morning? If the bear rolls it down a big hill or throws it into a river or whatnot? Too bad you can't out some terrible sound on it so that if anything really touches it, it scares it off instead of turning it into a bear football in the night.

Just curious if anyone has had any experience like that?
    " Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt. "

Ive thought about that, figured you could get one of those key finder things that your phone activates. Not sure how well they work though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't think that a bear is going to play footsie with a bear can. It will try to get into it, give up, and move on.

Apparently the OP is not alone in bear encounters. The Juniper Wilderness is closed as of yesterday due to bear activity.

Doesn't surprise me at all. I know it's closed because of the HP bear, as I'll call it. Most people do not hang their food at HP and it would only be a matter of when, not if, this bear got aggressive enough to confront someone for their food.

I can only imagine bear boxes will be installed on FT in ONF...according to the camp host at Hopkins prairie they’ve also had several problem bears this winter...

Kind of wondering how enforced this closure is, I've never seen a backcountry ranger in ONF. I've been going there close to 30 years. I bet there's someone at HP tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by saltysack View Post
    I can only imagine bear boxes will be installed on FT in ONF...according to the camp host at Hopkins prairie they’ve also had several problem bears this winter...

They have started to install bear boxes even on campgrounds near the AT. One good thing about that is that the boxes are large (huge even) and make a great place to put gear when it is raining.

Images

I feel bad about being a "part of the problem" on this one, for not hanging my food. I know a lot of people don't though so bear boxes would probably be the best solution. HP gets so much traffic that it would likely cut down on incidents in the future. The first time I was out there, a group of 20 students from Princeton were doing a Wilderness Medicine course in ONF and they camped at HP. They had spaghetti, hamburgers, so many smells rolling through that place that night. I'm sure it was driving the locals crazy.
    "I am learning nothing in this trivial world of [humans]. I must break away and get out into the mountains to learn the news." --John Muir

I wouldn't feel bad about it Old. I have been going out there almost every weekend since the end of Nov. and the week before last was the first "sign" of this bear. This bear wandered in from somewhere it learned to get hung food bags. Sleeping with your food might work until the bear runs out of hung bag treats and decides to take bolder action. I guess we will never know what happened to cause the closure but I'm sure it was more than the bear got someone's food bag.

I don't see bear boxes happening in ONF, not that it's a bad idea.

I spent last night at HP and had no idea any of this was going on. I hung and did not hear any bear in the site during the night. If there was a bear I'm sure I would have heard the girl scouts screaming.

Quote Originally Posted by DaytonaHiker View Post
    I spent last night at HP and had no idea any of this was going on. I hung and did not hear any bear in the site during the night. If there was a bear I'm sure I would have heard the girl scouts screaming.
    Did they have signs out at the trailhead?

Quote Originally Posted by martinb View Post
    Did they have signs out at the trailhead?
    I came from the north, Salt Springs, and there were no signs. I did not know about it until someone at HP mentioned it.

So, drove by Pat's Island TH yesterday on my way out from an overnighter. The TH is blockaded now with bear warning signs and orders from the forest supervisor in Tallahassee. A ranger was there and said the bear got into someone's tent a few days ago. Area is closed until 3/8 but I'm not sure if that's enough time.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++