WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Images

Default Old Folks Daily Mileage

We need to know about comfortable average daily mileage for old folks like us - 60 years old + - for long distance hikes on the AT, from long section hikes to thru hikes. We are not interested in hiking big miles for big miles sake or to make a deadline. We're more like easy does it folks and if we don't complete a thru in a year, we don't care.
    Thanks.
    Sailor

At 60 I can do 15 MPD pretty easy. On my AT hike at 58 did an average of 16 MPD with several 20+ mile days. As you know it is the recovery from a big day that takes time.

Default Old Folks Daily Mileage

So many factors play into this besides just age. How you've been taking care of yourself - or not - up to now makes a big difference. If you're 60 and can easily hike 15 mpd, you might be doing something that over 50% of 30 year olds can't do...

Images

In my 50s I scheduled and hiked 15 mpd on average (mostly in the South).

In my 60s I became more leisurely at about 12 mpd average (mostly in North).

Depends VERY much on terrain and season (daylight hours). In NH & ME, I averaged 6 mpd on some trips and was happy to make that.
    [I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

So many factors. Weather, terrain, how much is in your pack, your physical condition and mood. I've seen old people struggle to do 5 miles in a day and others who can pound out consistent 20's. In my 60's, I typically do 10 to 15, with the occasional 20 if I have to.

If your not overweight, in reasonably good shape, not on any serious medication, arthritis hasn't kicked in, your knees are okay, and have a reasonably light pack, 10 to 15 miles a day isn't unreasonable.

If you haven't done any long distance hiking before and don't have a base line to judge from, you just have to go out and see what you can do.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Over the years I found older hikers tended to go slowly but hike longer. They got going earlier in the morning and finished later in the day. Somewhere in mid morning the folks they camped with will catch up and pass them. That evening while the younger folks have cooked supper the older folks will stroll in. Definitely hare and tortoise.

A big qualifier is where you plan to hike, the south and most of the trail south of the rocks in PA are mostly older ridgeline roads on soil. Once you get in the rocks in PA, it still may be somewhat flat and level but the rocks do slow things down. NJ and NY have a mix of rocks and older roads. Once you get into the whites, the gymnastics begin and they remain so on an off to Katahdin. Upper body strength factors in and boulder hopping can be hard on the joints..

Quote Originally Posted by Sailor (The other one) View Post
    We need to know about comfortable average daily mileage for old folks like us - 60 years old + - for long distance hikes on the AT, from long section hikes to thru hikes. We are not interested in hiking big miles for big miles sake or to make a deadline. We're more like easy does it folks and if we don't complete a thru in a year, we don't care.
    Thanks.
    Yes, conditioning, health, weather, terrain, pack weight, etc that has been mentioned, certainly will affect mileage goals. Obviously start with very modest days, and let your mind and body dictate how far you can go. As you get stronger, you will just naturally go farther. However, there is a mental aspect also. On my injury (fall) shortened thru hike attempt in 2016 (age 66); after a few weeks on the trail, I forced myself to get out of camp as early as possible, and terrain dependent, pushed to get 10 miles in by lunch. Then after a hard stop, the remainder of the day was a cruise, and I found that my mileage was increasing without beating myself up. I guess that it's just my nature to put the longest part of the day in my rearview mirror before taking a big rest. Most importantly, hike your own hike, and don't be influenced by the big mileage hikers that you meet; especially some of the 60+ horses that are out there.

10 miles a day allows you to sleep in, and stay up late.

April through September.

Oops, March though September.

Journal Entries

I hiked with a 74 yr old thruhiker doing 15 mpd some years ago.

You know that endurance doesn't have to being to decrease significantly untl after 65? This is why many 60-70 yr olds run ultras . A 64 yr old can have same endurance as a 19 yr old. Look it up.

If you want to blame your physical condition, look in mirror. You can't blame your age.....yet .

Yes 95% of people are out of shape lazy slobs, age doesn't change this. That's not how everyone has to be.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 02-06-2018 at 12:20.

People vary widely on the miles they can/want to do. If you have not done much hiking you may be surprised at how your daily mileage will increase with conditioning. Sitting at home for only two weeks will cause you to temporarily lose much of your conditioning, so hike regularly. Do your training on mountains; not flat ground. Wear shoes with proper arch support.

I can do 13 to 15 miles (depending on terrain) on a fairly regular basis. If I need to, 17 or 18 miles is doable. I've done over 20 miles numerous times in two LASH's totaling 1,280 miles, but boy, they were tough miles at the end. I rarely can get to 2 MPH, but when doing 20 miles or over, I do it.
    Trail Name - Slapshot
    "One step at a time."
    Blog - www.tonysadventure.com

Thanks.
    This question is impossible for anyone to answer except for yourself and your hiking partner. What mileages have you been able to do on "normal" backpacking trips? That may be a good baseline. As you get more fit, during a hike, your mileage will probably increase. If you have never backpacked before then you need to do some 2-3 night trips to ascertain your baseline.
    Lonehiker (MRT '22)

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    I hiked with a 74 yr old thruhiker doing 15 mpd some years ago.

You know that endurance doesn't have to being to decrease significantly untl after 65? This is why many 60-70 yr olds run ultras . A 64 yr old can have same endurance as a 19 yr old. Look it up.

If you want to blame your physical condition, look in mirror. You can't blame your age.....yet .

Yes 95% of people are out of shape lazy slobs, age doesn't change this. That's not how everyone has to be.
    Reminds me of an interview Johnny Carson had with Arnold Schwarzenegger (and that right there might give you a bit of a clue to how much of a geezer I am)!
    Anyway, Carson tells Arnold that a lot of folks don't want to work out because they think they're going to bulk up and then when they stop all that bulk will turn to flab. Arnold says, "Well, my advice is don't stop. You don’t stop eating, breathing or drinking water - it's just another part of living".
    I guess I still remember that cause it sounded like dang good advice.

Journal Entries
    Images

Cool Since you asked

When I started, and I didn't really know what I was doing, I felt lucky to do ten miles in a day. Now I've learned a few tricks (like getting on The Trail before dawn!), and I can easily do fifteen miles in a day.

As others have noted, it has very little to do with age. Terrain, weather, conditioning, gear, and preparation are all MUCH more important.

Journal Entries
    Images

I was 66 years when I thru-hiked. My daily average was 11.2 MPD.
    Grampie-N->2001

Suggest you focus on time per day, i.e., 9 hours per day. Forget about mileage.

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

The only thing I've found with age (I'm 62) is that it's easier to get hurt and it takes a lot longer to heal, and that trend is accelerating. I recommend not stringing several long days together until you've proven to yourself that you can do it without injury, i.e. hike on long day before a rest day, hike 2 long days before a zero, etc., until you know you can do 2-5 without paying for it.

We are not interested in hiking big miles for big miles sake or to make a deadline. We're more like easy does it folks and if we don't complete a thru in a year, we don't care.
    Thanks.
    Well, you just answered your own question. Many many backpackers are obsessed with daily mileage, some aren't. Some endurance athlete-types like Skurka overly concentrate on Miles Gained Per Day but 99% of us are not endurance athletes.

As others have said, your question cannot really be answered. Here's a similar thread you may find interesting---

https://backpackinglight.com/forums/...king/#comments

In December I went out with some friends and it took us four hours to backpack 3 miles thru a blizzard. We set up camp after 3 miles. "Verboten!!!" many would say but who's in charge of your hike, you or them??

The high mileage types like to say "you're a camper not a hiker" if you're only pulling low daily miles. There's an elitist tone with such people. But you already made your point clear: You're "not interested in hiking big miles" and "we don't care if we complete a thru in a year." Amen.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++