WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sailor (The other one) View Post
    We need to know about comfortable average daily mileage for old folks like us - 60 years old + - for long distance hikes on the AT, from long section hikes to thru hikes. We are not interested in hiking big miles for big miles sake or to make a deadline. We're more like easy does it folks and if we don't complete a thru in a year, we don't care.
    Thanks.
    Since you've been a WB member since 2007, I'm guessing you probably have a few dozen miles of experience at least. So I figure you probably know all you need to know about your own capabilities. Maybe just looking for confirmation from others, or unsure if you've got what it takes to tackle a thru or long section. Chances are, you do. Longest section we've done is 100+ miles (MA,CT,NY) and several in the 70-85 mile range. We regularly manage 10-15 mpd, but distance is often limited by factors other than the energy required to hike that far. Factors like sore feet or a sore back stop us as often as being tired.

From the "we" in your post, I'm guessing you're a husband/wife couple. As with any pair of hiking partners, if you hike together (as opposed to simply meeting up at the end of the day), there are compromises that have to be made. My husband is long-legged. At his normal relaxed pace, he quickly outdistances me - so I walk in front and set the pace. If I have the energy and drive, I like to keep moving whereas he's inclined to stop more often for water, to sit on a log, or take in a view - so I stop with him. When one of us runs out of steam, the other waits patiently. Give and take. From your post, it does sound like your hiking style is pretty laid back. Wish I was retired!

As others have said/implied, you need to take some shakedown hikes to get a rough idea of how fast you can go, or choose to go. I have a pretty good idea of my pace, after more than 10 years of section hiking. So when I calculate how much food I need for a given distance, it's a matter of simple division, plus one more day's meals, just in case. I'm now 73, but in my 60s, when I hiked the southern trail, I generally averaged 9-12 miles/day. The last two years, in northern NH/Maine, it was more like 5-7 miles per day most of the way and about 10 miles per day as I approached Katahdin. Like you, I'm not speedy and never have been, even in my youth. I'm more interested in taking in the views, watching wildlife, and meeting people when I hike.

If you need to get up before dawn to start hiking, please don't stay in shelters. Or at least figure out how to get going without waking everyone else up. Which means moving away from the shelter to make your breakfast and load your pack.

Since I camp almost exclusively at shelter sites (but only occasionally in the shelter) my mileage is determined by how far apart these are. If possible, I go every other shelter, stopping at the middle one for lunch or afternoon snack and refilling water if needed.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

GAME 06

I'm 63.

When I am on a long distance hike I average from 20-25 mpd and still can (if I have a reason to) go as high as 35 mpd.
    I am pretty much an ultra light hiker so that helps a bit - but not as much as the avid UL folks like to claim.
    I am never out of shape and hike every day even when I am not 'in training' for an upcoming hike. 30 miles in a week is a low week. When in training I ramp up to somewhere near 100 miles per week with a pack in the mountains. I think this constant hiking pays huge dividends as I never struggle starting a long hike and I almost never (knock on wood) get injured.

What I think works best for any hiker (old or not) is not to rush down the trail at high speed, then have to take a long mid-day break or lots of little breaks. What I do (and this is easy for us old folks who just cannot sleep late) is to get up early and get going - I am almost always hiking by 0600. I just walk a easy steady pace which I know I can hold all the way to 1200. I do not stop during this time except for bio breaks or if I have to redistribute water. I carry lots of food in my hip belt pockets and two water bottles attached to my shoulder straps. By 1200 on a slow day I have 12 miles in and on a normal day 15 and a really good day 18. I only take about 20-30 mins for lunch and then load up similar to the morning and mosey along. Unless it is real hot then I take a big mid-day break and go to sleep. I hike fewer miles in the afternoon in general and sometimes stop for a couple 5 min breaks. If I want to do big miles I stop instead about 4pm and eat extra and then hike on till maybe 7pm. This will put me above 25mpd normally.

My normal pace is about 2 1/2 mph in rugged terrain and will drift up to 3 mph on easy stuff. This is without pushing it. I try not to get out of breath very often and never really out of breath as that wears you out much quicker over the course of a whole day. I can go faster but only do that if there is a real need.

Big miles come from extra time not speed. And it is really important to eat constantly (200 cal per hour or so). Do not let your body start stripping its energy reserves due to not eating enough. Eat LOTS of high FAT food during the day as this is the best fuel by far. Save your proteins for your last meal before hitting the sack.

The above is an easy way to hike and it does not really wear you out so you can do it every day.

Yes I'm similar to the above post. When I wake up after typically about 8 hours sleep, I get up and walk. Last year I saw every sunrise while I was on the AT, except for coming out of towns, for the 22 days I was walking till injured. I imagine I will be the same this year. First week average was 12, second week 14.1, and in the last week it was over 15 with the last four days 20+. I hike long days not quickly but at a steady pace with breaks when I want or at somewhere that needs a photo. I have been known to take a combat nap at lunch time.
    "He was a wise man who invented beer." Plato

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    If you need to get up before dawn to start hiking, please don't stay in shelters. Or at least figure out how to get going without waking everyone else up. Which means moving away from the shelter to make your breakfast and load your pack.

Since I camp almost exclusively at shelter sites (but only occasionally in the shelter) my mileage is determined by how far apart these are. If possible, I go every other shelter, stopping at the middle one for lunch or afternoon snack and refilling water if needed.
    See now I’m of a different opinion, if ya stay at shelters you get what you get including noise from early departures, stay in tent away from others if peace and quiet is necessity.

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post

See now I’m of a different opinion, if ya stay at shelters you get what you get including noise from early departures, stay in tent away from others if peace and quiet is necessity.

Remember also: You are only as fast as the slowest hiker in your group.
    I just finished a tough trail in Europe.
    Did some big miles but was much slower at 67 on the uphills as I was at 47.
    Downhills and level were the same.
    Our longest day was around 28 miles.
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

I'd even add to consider the past 5 years, and especially the past one year regarding your physical activity capacity. If you're retiring from a cushy air conditioned, one level office job then you'll be in for a reality check trying to get 5 miles in a day (especially if you haven't already 'dialed-in' your pack/gear with a few preliminary hikes). If you're constantly climbing steps with additional weight carried, you'll be ahead of the curve.

I've encountered just about every level of conditioning from people 60+ out there, and it also tends to do with mindset. You'll find your happy place, whether it is 3 miles or 30, then it'll change with the weather, terrain, or how you treated yourself the day before. Rinse, repeat.

I'm always wondering why in the US mileage seems to be the main measure of a hike?
    We here in EU are mostly speaking about hours.
    I typically hike about 10hrs (may varie from 8-12) a day, and try to estimate the point on the route I might reach within this timespan, due to elevation gain, trail condition and other circumstances.

Quote Originally Posted by Wyoming View Post
    I'm 63.

When I am on a long distance hike I average from 20-25 mpd and still can (if I have a reason to) go as high as 35 mpd.
    I am pretty much an ultra light hiker so that helps a bit - but not as much as the avid UL folks like to claim.
    I am never out of shape and hike every day even when I am not 'in training' for an upcoming hike. 30 miles in a week is a low week. When in training I ramp up to somewhere near 100 miles per week with a pack in the mountains. I think this constant hiking pays huge dividends as I never struggle starting a long hike and I almost never (knock on wood) get injured.

What I think works best for any hiker (old or not) is not to rush down the trail at high speed, then have to take a long mid-day break or lots of little breaks. What I do (and this is easy for us old folks who just cannot sleep late) is to get up early and get going - I am almost always hiking by 0600. I just walk a easy steady pace which I know I can hold all the way to 1200. I do not stop during this time except for bio breaks or if I have to redistribute water. I carry lots of food in my hip belt pockets and two water bottles attached to my shoulder straps. By 1200 on a slow day I have 12 miles in and on a normal day 15 and a really good day 18. I only take about 20-30 mins for lunch and then load up similar to the morning and mosey along. Unless it is real hot then I take a big mid-day break and go to sleep. I hike fewer miles in the afternoon in general and sometimes stop for a couple 5 min breaks. If I want to do big miles I stop instead about 4pm and eat extra and then hike on till maybe 7pm. This will put me above 25mpd normally.

My normal pace is about 2 1/2 mph in rugged terrain and will drift up to 3 mph on easy stuff. This is without pushing it. I try not to get out of breath very often and never really out of breath as that wears you out much quicker over the course of a whole day. I can go faster but only do that if there is a real need.

Big miles come from extra time not speed. And it is really important to eat constantly (200 cal per hour or so). Do not let your body start stripping its energy reserves due to not eating enough. Eat LOTS of high FAT food during the day as this is the best fuel by far. Save your proteins for your last meal before hitting the sack.

The above is an easy way to hike and it does not really wear you out so you can do it every day.
    This is closest to what I do. As a general guideline I like to keep "perceived effort" at about 60-65% of my personal maximum, which is something I can maintain for the duration.

Getting up early and packing efficiently while water is heating for breakfast/coffee, I can easily get moving in 1/2 hr. Especially in the summer I appreciate those cooler morning hours, the only downside being that the first person on the trail catches all the spider webs strung across the trail overnight.

Garlic
    Images

I'll throw in that there appears to be a big difference between 60 and 69. "In your sixties" is quite a range, and I know I'm right at the cusp of it. At a relatively young 60 (just hiked 57 fun miles in two days last month), I have a pretty good feeling things will be different in nine years looking at 70. My buddy in his early seventies has been slowing down a bit the last few years.

And I wonder at what point I'll stop being able to get stronger at a given activity. Most older athletes echo Arnold--never stop!

There's no way to give concrete advice on the OP's question, way too many variables. There are outliers like my friend mentioned above, who hiked the AT in 106 days at age 64. He certainly was in no hurry, it was just his pace.

For this Old Geezer waking up/ standing up each morning is a plus, mileage walked is just the cherry on top!

Quote Originally Posted by Leo L. View Post
    I'm always wondering why in the US mileage seems to be the main measure of a hike?
    Because we've got these long, 2,000 mile trails and lots of folks like to think about starting and finishing them in one year. Lots of folks on this site are thinking about that. And, due to winter weather especially in the north, there's a need to shorten that year to 5 or 6 months. So, folks do the math, try to account for zero days and figure out how many miles per day they need to be able to do.
    I think that's the reason why a lot of folks here think about mpd. Others just want to use mpd as a measure of fitness. Could be other reasons, I guess...

I've noticed that I don't have the hiking endurance I had while in my 50's and so I quit putting big expectations on myself. When I feel tired, I rest, when hungry I eat. when done for the day I set up camp. The time of day that I do each is of less importance. This makes it hard to hike with a companion however.

Quote Originally Posted by garlic08 View Post
    I'll throw in that there appears to be a big difference between 60 and 69. ................
    That's the reason why retirement age is 65 Hiking the AT was easier when I was in my fifties. Everybody is different but I think you need better pre-hike conditioning as you get older, at least I do.
    If you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything.

Shelters and campsite locations are another reason for having to keep track of miles. In many areas in PA, NJ, NY and CT, the shelters and campsites are clustered on state or federal land interconnected by long stretches of trail where there are no legal shelters or campsites. The choices sometimes can be a 4 or a 6 mile day versus a 20 mile day to clear the gap. Some days you just need to crank out the miles, other days you can be more flexible.

I expect most couples arent willing to do it, but a key swap hike makes a lot of sense. Use one car, drop off one person at trail junction and they head south, the driver then drives south to another trail junction and hike north. They meet for lunch and then the one that ends up at the car drives back and picks up the other hiker. This means no need to carry a big pack. Many shelters and campsites in the middle atlantic and the south are quite accessible from forest service roads and if you find a good hostel you can base out of it for a few days. It also helps to get to know the area, as getting on the road usually gets you out of the green tunnel. Cell coverage is pretty good down south but a FMRS radio will normally cover the distance done in day hike. The nice part of hiking separately is both parties hike at their own pace.

Images

For a little perspective, I started long distance backpacking with the AT in 2006 at age 61 and have continued until now. I found, and still believe, the AT is one of the most difficult trails due to elevation gain/loss and the grade of those climbs and descents. Daily miles are dependent largely on terrain covered and the shape you are in. I often start out rather slowly, then ramp up my miles per day. Listed below in the following format are /Trail/Miles Hiked/My Age at the time/Avg Miles per Hiking Day:
    AT 2175 61 13-1/4
    PCT 2660 63 19-1/2
    CDT 1230 65 16-1/2 (NM & CO to Steamboat Springs)
    ALT 300 66 13 (Allegheny Trail in WV)
    CDT 1030 66 18 (WY & MT to Helena)
    MST 325 67 12-1/2 (Mid-State Trail in PA)
    CT 590 68 16-1/2 (CT + 100 mi on CDT)
    TT-AT 440 68 14 (Loop of Tuscarora and AT)
    AZT 600 69 15-1/2 (UT to Mt. Lemon)
    LT 275 69 15-1/4
    ST 310 69 13-1/2 (Sheltowee Trace)
    AZT 185 70 14-1/4 (Mex to Mt. Lemon)
    FT 1140 70 20
    NCT 815 71 15-1/2 (NY & part of PA)
    GET 320 72 12-3/4 (ABQ to Black Range)
    Handlebar
    GA-ME 06; PCT 08; CDT 10,11,12; ALT 11; MSPA 12; CT 13; Sheltowee 14; AZT 14, 15; LT 15;FT 16;NCT-NY&PA 16; GET 17-18

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    Sure you have to expect some noise, but some people are exceptionally noisy and they keep it up for hours in or directly in front of the shelter. That behavior is exceptionally rude when it starts before dawn.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Impossible to answer, but I can say that I've been surprised by the number of older hikers doing more miles than I typically do, and I normally hike at least 20 mpd. And at age 44, I'm in way better shape than I was at age 24. I don't think there's any reason for "older" hikers in their 60s to hike less miles than younger hikers (if they are in shape), unless they simply enjoy doing fewer miles. I suspect that many retirees do lower miles not because of physical issues so much as having much more time than younger people to complete thru hikes.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++