WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default in need of a new hammock!

well I was out the weekend camping, testing a few bits out and my 3y old DD SuperLight Jungle hammock bottom layer ripped using the thermarest z mat mod..
    so not too confident on taking it.. will need to sort out picking the new one up at the begging of the hike!

so looking for advice on a new one.. like the look of warbonnet blackbird XLC and to try out the footbox and gear shelf! and seems a popular one.
    I've just got a new tarp from DD 4.5x3 ho boy its roomy, so just really looking for a hammock..

thanks

Journeyman Journeyer
    Images

Have a look at Dutch's Chameleon. Modular set up so you can get the pieces you want.
    https://dutchwaregear.com/product-ca...cks/chameleon/

I have WB products. Both the older style black bird and the newer XLC. I also got a Dream Hammock Raven. Both companies make quality products. I have lots of Dutch stuff, but not one of his hammocks. I went with the Raven as I decided I am a "head right/feet left" sleeper. The WB products, that is a special order as their normal BB's, are "Head Left/Feet Right". The Chameleon is similar to the Raven.
    The Raven I had some add-ons and love it. It works just fine with my existing quilts.
    So, any of the three are quality products.

https://www.dreamhammock.com/Raven.html
    For a couple of bucks, get a weird haircut and waste your life away Bryan Adams....
    Hammock hangs are where you go into the woods to meet men you've only known on the internet so you can sit around a campfire to swap sewing tips and recipes. - sargevining on HF

You probably know already, but hammocks have come a long way the past 5 years. Making a general Hammock suggestion is like answering “suggest a new car.”
    It really depends on the type of hanging (backyard, car, short hikes, multi-day backpacking), your physical size, Bug net options, etc, etc.

All of the above are great choices, but if you want one like your DD take a look at Clark’s. If you want a more traditional gathered end, Warbonnet, Dutchware Gear, Dream Hammock, Simply Light Designs... there are plenty to choose from. Choosing which fabric you want will be a deciding factor as well.

Dream Hammocks has a variety of hammocks with extensive customization available. I have one on order now, due to a similar failure.

There is a 4 week wait time more ore less, and you would have to arrange a USA pickup point, perhaps with someone near your start.

2/17 It arrived last week. Very nice piece of gear.
    Last edited by Feral Bill; 02-17-2018 at 19:37.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Default in need of a new hammock!

thanks all for the suggestions after looking at a lot of videos I've made a decision the winner is....
    warbonnet blackbird XLC. . Clark’s was the runner up..liked the under pockets nice idea but the price was too high to make a hasty decision. . it's like the DD but twice the price, so trying something a little different..$180 is the equivalent of me buying the DD again..
    thanks

A friend of mine got an Eagles Nest last summer. It was a little on the cheaper side but said it did the trick. I was thinking of going with the same but the Blackbird XLC looks pretty sick.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Goingforalittlewalk View Post
    thanks all for the suggestions after looking at a lot of videos I've made a decision the winner is....
    warbonnet blackbird XLC. . Clark’s was the runner up..liked the under pockets nice idea but the price was too high to make a hasty decision. . it's like the DD but twice the price, so trying something a little different..$180 is the equivalent of me buying the DD again..
    thanks
    I have a BB XLC and wouldn't trade it for anything but a new BB XLC. Great hammock and you will find yourself sleeping better after a long day on the trail.
    Blackheart

Journal Entries

Sorry but meant to add that if your are going to be going out in colder weather, get the top cover as it really helps with the condensation and keeping the cold air out.
    Blackheart

Images

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeBill View Post
    Sorry but meant to add that if your are going to be going out in colder weather, get the top cover as it really helps with the condensation and keeping the cold air out.
    Wait, a top cover helps with condensation? You mean with dew settling on the TQ (only sort of the same thing). Because a top cover can cause condensation issues if it doesn't have a good vent.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by scope View Post
    Wait, a top cover helps with condensation? You mean with dew settling on the TQ (only sort of the same thing). Because a top cover can cause condensation issues if it doesn't have a good vent.
    You are correct about the vents are needed. Thanks for the catch. The new Blackbird hammocks have top winter covers with vents that help with keeping it a bit warmer inside.
    Blackheart

I love my Dutch Chameleon 1.6 wide. I got the mesh sidecar and paired it with Beetle Buckles. I get a really nice diagonal lay and the headroom with the net is more generous than on the WB Blackbird. I'm slightly biased as I was able to visit the Dutch workshop and get some personal instruction by the man himself.

I'm not that much experienced in term of hammocks but I have heard alot about DreamHammocks I think you should go and give it a try or wait for experts reply

Images

What all would someone need to purchase if they were choosing a hammock over a tent. Since I have neither as of yet, I actually have options.
    I found as a troubled youth that changing your path, required only the strength to step off your current one.

You will want fly to keep off bugs (I use an 8x10 flat tarp), bug netting (my Dream Hammock has a zip-off setup), an underquilt for warmth, hanging straps (I use a pair of 12' long 1" tubular webbing), and a basic ground pad for when you can't hang. The whole deal weighs a bit more than the lightest tents, but is very comfy. Also, it take very little time to put up the hammock for a rest break or noon nap.
    Last edited by Feral Bill; 08-16-2018 at 15:31.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Quote Originally Posted by FIREWHATFIRE View Post
    What all would someone need to purchase if they were choosing a hammock over a tent. Since I have neither as of yet, I actually have options.
    In addition to ALL of the hammock specific bits and pieces, you will need an under quilt and top quilt for your most frequent sleeping temperature range. You can add more quilts if your temperature range varies.
    Wayne

Lots of good options for hammocks. I would absolutely recommend going with a cottage vendor - there are lots of them. Ones that I have personally used and can recommend: Warbonnet, Dutchware Gear, Simply Light Designs, Hammock Gear, Enlightened Equipment (quilts only.)

Quote Originally Posted by FIREWHATFIRE View Post
    You got me thinking a bit and since I was bored I put together my "what I would recommend to a new hammocker" list. This would be what I consider to be very high quality, weather proof set up, that is also fairly light and a what I would consider a good value:

1) Dutchware Gear 11' netless hammock, Argon 1.6 fabric, with continuous ridgeline and whoopie sling/ 4' tree hugger suspension - $89 (439g)
    2) Dutchware Gear 11' summer sock: $57 (255g)
    3) Dutchware Gear 11' Xenon tarp with Tarp Flys and 12' of zing it - $134 (769 g)
    4) Hammockgear - Econ Burrow 40 top quilt - $130 (16.5oz - std size)
    5) Hammockgear - Econ Incubator Econ Incubator 30 - $138 (22.45 oz - std size)

I would feel very comfortable hitting the trail with this set up (even in bad weather) down to about freezing. If you are a cold sleeper, add another 10 degree to the quilt ratings (a little more $ and weight.) The only other thing that you would need is 4 tent stakes and some tie out line (I figure most backpackers already have this around the house.)

Total Cost - $548 + shipping and taxes
    Total Weight - 5.65lbs for the whole sleep system (just add a dirty hiker)

You can get the weight down a bit by throwing a lot more money at it (cuben fiber tarp, lighter quilts with better down and lighter fabrics mostly) but I think that this is a pretty reasonable, high quality set up based on my personal experience. There are a lot of other perfectly good options I'm sure.

JMHO, YMMV

If you’re serious about looking into hammocks, go over to hammockforums. I basically consider it a sister site to White Blazes, but Hammock focused. You’ll find lots of info there for the new hanger.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Take a hard look at Simply Light Designs Trail Lair. Very good reputation for the hammock and Jared, the maker.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++