WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Leonidas

Quote Originally Posted by imscotty View Post
    Lone Peaks have been my everyday sneaker and trail shoe the past few years. I returned a mail order pair of Lone Peak 3.5 today to REI due to size issues.. The 3.5 version is definitely sized smaller than the previous Lone Peaks, so I moved up half a size from my regular size. REI had Superiors, Lone Peaks and Timps in stock, so I gave them all a tryout in the store.
    The LP 3.5's are noted to run a full size smaller than the previous LP's. I asked about the sizing vs the Kings and was told to go to 13's if I wear 12 in Kings. Just something to note.
    AT: 695.7 mi
    Benton MacKaye Trail '20
    Pinhoti Trail '18-19'
    @leonidasonthetrail https://www.youtube.com/c/LeonidasontheTrail

Quote Originally Posted by imscotty View Post
    Lone Peaks have been my everyday sneaker and trail shoe the past few years. I returned a mail order pair of Lone Peak 3.5 today to REI due to size issues.. The 3.5 version is definitely sized smaller than the previous Lone Peaks, so I moved up half a size from my regular size. REI had Superiors, Lone Peaks and Timps in stock, so I gave them all a tryout in the store. My observation....

Superior: Love the comfort of these shoes, they feel like slippers. I am not looking for a lot of cushion, so I would be happy with these as a trail shoe. You can see from the materials and construction that these shoes would have a short life on the trail, so for economic reasons I gave them a pass. If I could get Superiors at half price I would stock up and just switch out shoes twice as often.

Timps: I was loving the Timps as first glance, very comfortable. REI has a fake rock to climb to test out shoes, so I put a Lone Peak on one foot and a Timp on the other. On the steep part of the rock the Timp foot suddenly right out from under me. Almost fell on my ass. Thought it was a quirk, but then they did it again. Went home with the Lone Peaks.

Love the Lone Peaks. If I see a great sale I might stock up on Superiors. Will wait for the next model of the Timp and see if they change the soles at all. By the way, I thought the asymmetric lacing on the Timps made the shoe so comfortable, for my feet anyway. Would like to see some Lone Peaks with lacing like that.
    Never had an issue on real rocks w the Timps...actually did surprisingly well on mud/ice/snow compared to other shoes I致e used..I recently ordered a pair of superior 3 on amazon for $65 but unfortunately needed a larger size so I returned and no size 13 at that price....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by JC13 View Post
    The LP 3.5's are noted to run a full size smaller than the previous LP's. I asked about the sizing vs the Kings and was told to go to 13's if I wear 12 in Kings. Just something to note.
    A lot less volume in 3.5 as well...superfeet green ate up to much had to go to the thinner carbon ones...

Leonidas

I was just doing some research on Altra's site and realized the Kings have an even smaller stack height than the Superior... No wonder after ~20 miles my feet are beat. I'm almost tempted to try the Superior if I can find a good sale.

19mm stack on the King MT
    21mm on the Superior
    25mm Lone Peak
    29mm Timp
    36mm Olympus(this seems like it would be ridiculous)
    Benton MacKaye Trail '20
    Pinhoti Trail '18-19'

Quote Originally Posted by JC13 View Post
    36mm Olympus(this seems like it would be ridiculous)
    I wore Olympus from Harper's Ferry to Katahdin, replaced once in Killington, VT but should probably have been about 100 miles sooner. My feet loved them. I cruised through PA's rocks with no complaints.

Quote Originally Posted by Zed View Post
    I wore Olympus from Harper's Ferry to Katahdin, replaced once in Killington, VT but should probably have been about 100 miles sooner. My feet loved them. I cruised through PA's rocks with no complaints.
    My ongoing unofficial, unscientific and informal observation is that most people replace trail runners 100-200 miles beyond their functional limits.
    Wayne

I just bought a new pair of Timps. Comfort and fit beat out durability... at least for me.

Quote Originally Posted by globetruck View Post
    I just bought a new pair of Timps. Comfort and fit beat out durability... at least for me.

I wasn稚 speaking about the lifespan of shoes. I知 noticing that people tend to wear their shoes beyond their useful lifespan with the atendant risk of injury.
    Wayne

Leonidas

Quote Originally Posted by Zed View Post
    I have no doubt they are comfy, coming from almost half the stack height, mentally it seems that they would have a bit of float or looseness. I may eventually try them out at least in the store. Found the Superior for $70, really tempted but not sure that 2mm is going to be that big a difference for big mileage.
    Benton MacKaye Trail '20
    Pinhoti Trail '18-19'

Altra's are very light trail and road runners. T^L^C. greater the abrasiveness, bigger the load, bigger the pounding, greater the wear. Two first pr of Altras Olympus I got 700 miles each on. That's in line with other trail runners of this wt. First pr I still have for mowing the lawn after applying some McNett's Seam Grip.

I've got about 150 mi on the Timps now and they are fine... so far... no less grip or stability than the other Altras I have used, LP 3.0 and Superior 3.0, although the Superior uppers are in sad shape after only a couple hundred miles. And I'm not too hard on shoes.

Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    I've got about 150 mi on the Timps now and they are fine... so far... no less grip or stability than the other Altras I have used, LP 3.0 and Superior 3.0, although the Superior uppers are in sad shape after only a couple hundred miles. And I'm not too hard on shoes.

They all all wear out to to soon for me .

thom

Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    I guess I知 tough on shoes..my Timps will be lucky to hit 200 miles....I知 220lbs plus pack so guess I知 on the heavy side....I think the last trip in the snow with hidden rocks did the mesh in...the tread is fine. I値l definitely buy again if on sale but not paying $130....

I agree, subjective and highly dependent upon where/how you hike.

Rock-jamming, which is sometimes unavoidable with very scrambly hikes, will kill 'em right quick like! Once did Mt. Borah in ID and the very loose, abrasive scree damn near killed some leather boots in short order.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++