WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: New pack needed

Sometimes I feel like it's just one big REI add. But I do appreciate the opportunity and advice on here

I have a Granite Gear Lutsen 55 that I usually carry and at times I am at the high end of recommended weight limit and it is a solid built pack. I have purchased several other items from Granite Gear and have never had a problem with the quality. The only issue I have ever had with my pack was that I broke on of the zipper pulls. I emailed GG and asked about purchasing a couple of zipper pulls and they send me a handful for free. I personally think GG is an outstanding company and very good about helping out their customers.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post
    Gotta love some of these responses.
    Opening post: I'm looking for specific recommendations for a pack that is 70L or more.
    Responses: Here are some great packs that are much smaller than you want. You should buy one.
    Circuit is advertised as 68L. Catalyst at 75L.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Coffee View Post
    Circuit is advertised as 68L. Catalyst at 75L.
    Come on now, we both own a Circuit. It's a phenomenal pack, but it takes a lot of funny math to call it a 68L.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Come on now, we both own a Circuit. It's a phenomenal pack, but it takes a lot of funny math to call it a 68L.
    Lol.

Yah, the main pack isn’t anywhere near 68L
    From ULA:
    TOTAL VOLUME: 4,200 CU IN | 68 L
    Breakdown (Cu In):
    Main Body: 2,400
    Front Mesh Pocket: 400
    Left Side Mesh Pocket: 400
    Right Side Mesh Pocket: 400
    Extension Collar: 500
    Left Hipbelt Pocket: 100
    Right Hipbelt Pocket: 100

Quote Originally Posted by TX Aggie View Post
    Lol.

From ULA:
    Breakdown (Cu In):
    And is it safe to say that the industry standard is to not report pack capacity this way? Therefore, on an apples-to-apples basis, you should not compare the pack (esp. by weight or price) to others in the 65-70L range?

2400 ci = 39.3 L

68L is about 73% higher. That's quite a triumph of marketing, if indeed, it's not typical to add in the capacity of the various pockets, extension collar, and so forth. Especially if any pockets tend to press into the pack when full, rather than only expanding outwardly.

In any case, the only reason it matters is that most people comparison shop and probably aren't comparing it to other 39L packs. So it looks super light for the capacity, but maybe it's more ordinary on an apples-to-apples basis.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Time Zone View Post
    And is it safe to say that the industry standard is to not report pack capacity this way? Therefore, on an apples-to-apples basis, you should not compare the pack (esp. by weight or price) to others in the 65-70L range?

2400 ci = 39.3 L

68L is about 73% higher. That's quite a triumph of marketing, if indeed, it's not typical to add in the capacity of the various pockets, extension collar, and so forth. Especially if any pockets tend to press into the pack when full, rather than only expanding outwardly.

In any case, the only reason it matters is that most people comparison shop and probably aren't comparing it to other 39L packs. So it looks super light for the capacity, but maybe it's more ordinary on an apples-to-apples basis.
    To my knowledge, most gear manufacturers use similar means of rating their volumes. The difference is that ULA has an relatively high proportion of their volume located in the exterior pockets (in fairness, the 500ci they quote as being in the extension collar is really part of the main compartment as well). When I bought my Circuit years ago I was upgrading from a 55L pack that had nearly all of the volume inside the main compartment and I found the Circuit to be a bit smaller than my old bag. Again, it's a great pack that I highly recommend, it just shouldn't be sized based on 68L total volume number, which is likely why they provide the quoted breakdown on their website.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

The thing about expansion collars is that you can't really count on using the full height. You have to allow for some of the collar fabric to close it off, unless you think the lid/brain would suffice to hold stuff in. Maybe not always, but typically, I suspect. Depends in part on what's packed near the top.

Quote Originally Posted by TX Aggie View Post
    Lol.

From ULA:
    Breakdown (Cu In):
    Buyer beware. Some people are happy with space breakdowns and want this type of storage to easily access specific items. Others want most of the space to be in the main compartment. As long as a manufacturer is upfront with the allocation of space, such as ULA, in their calculation of total volume, I'm ok with it. Buyers just need to pay attention to what they're buying. Me, I want more storage in the main compartment.

Quote Originally Posted by Two more miles View Post
    I hike with my girlfriend so I have a larger tent than most witch is the problem with the amount of volume and the extra weight. I prefer to load it inside the pack but It takes up about a third of my space and weights around 6 pounds. We love this tent and I have looked at others MSR, tarp,big a, ect. There is no advantage to me, spending $600 to save a pound and get a cheaper built one. My fully loaded weight is around 35 lbs with 3L of water.
    If your routinely carrying 35 lbs. I don't recommend most of the packs recommended in this thread lol.

The catalyst would be a good pack but it's smaller than you want. It'll carry a little more weight comfortably.

All the two pound frame sheet packs probably don't have as much support as you would like.

Load ratings are typically exaggerated.

You'd most likely be better served with a full suspension pack like an Atmos 65 or Gregory.

However, six pound two person tent?

There are alot of great three person shelters (for the space) out there weighing half that for much less than $600. Tarptent comes to mind.

Maybe it's times to look critically and upgrade other pieces of kit as well if you can afford to do so.

If not.. then I think your in the market for a load hauling pack. Not a lightweight or ultralight pack.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by fastfoxengineering View Post
    If your routinely carrying 35 lbs. I don't recommend most of the packs recommended in this thread lol.

The catalyst would be a good pack but it's smaller than you want. It'll carry a little more weight comfortably.

All the two pound frame sheet packs probably don't have as much support as you would like.

Load ratings are typically exaggerated.

You'd most likely be better served with a full suspension pack like an Atmos 65 or Gregory.

However, six pound two person tent?

There are alot of great three person shelters (for the space) out there weighing half that for much less than $600. Tarptent comes to mind.

Maybe it's times to look critically and upgrade other pieces of kit as well if you can afford to do so.

If not.. then I think your in the market for a load hauling pack. Not a lightweight or ultralight pack.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
    Again, the SeekOutside packs are in the 2.5 lb category and will easily haul 60lbs comfortably. So while not as light as an ArcHaul, they’re right in line with an Osprey Exos, and well under the weight of the Baltero.

Bonus: the SeekOutside packs use a common frame system, you can actually swap out different size and styles of bags.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last year, I was looking for a new pack that was large enough for a bear cannister and my winter sleeping bag and layers.
    Through suggestions here and hours of online research, I narrowed it down to two packs:
    Osprey Volt 75 liter 4lbs $200
    ULA Catalyst 3lbs $260

I ended up going with the Osprey Volt 75 for several reasons, but the main 2 were the traditional construction gave me more belief or confidence that it would be comfortable, and the lid/ brain; I really like the lid feature on a pack.
    It is very comfortable to me, and it holds everything I need for a week in cold weather.

Agreed. I have one as well and I would call it closer to 60L

My arc blast is 55, and there is a noticeable difference in the two. But I can get all my winter stuff in my circuit, but not the arc.
    Trail Miles: 4,980.5
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 47.9
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by MtDoraDave View Post
    ...I ended up going with the Osprey Volt 75 for several reasons, but the main 2 were the traditional construction gave me more belief or confidence that it would be comfortable, and the lid/ brain; I really like the lid feature on a pack...
    When I used the Volt for my JMT thru, the day I left MTR (with 10 days of supplies), I estimated that my pack weighted about 55lbs. Other than simply the sheer extra weight my body had to carry, I found the Volt comfortably handled the load. I also enjoyed the fact that I could access stuff from within the brain without having to stop and take the pack off. Made for a convenient place to keep my phone (for the Guthook guide) and map booklet and stay accessible thru the day.
    Last edited by HooKooDooKu; 02-07-2018 at 10:43.

That's true but it voluminous, at least to me. I'm not sure how the other manufacturers account for the extra pockets, etc. Anyway, I guess I'm a ULA fanboy - lol!

Quote Originally Posted by Coffee View Post
    Circuit is advertised as 68L. Catalyst at 75L.l
    In my limited experience, the Catalyst behaves more like a 65 liter pack. Moving the MSR HUBBA HUBBA NX to the right side pocket constrained with the compression straps was a huge improvement. Just for grins at home, I filled my 3 qt./liter Nalgene soft canteen and the left side pocket swallowed it with room to spare. 2 liter Platypus Hoser in the inside bladder sleeve. Alpinlite Long, Xtherm Large and sleeping clothes in the bottom. Kitchen and food in the top. Rain gear in the outside front pocket. A bushel of trail snacks in the belt pockets.
    I miss that pack. It certainly worked well from 10,000’ to 12,200’ & back to 10,00’ in Colorado.
    Wayne

Comfort and load capacity is a strong suite on the Osprey pack; I own a "Atmos 65". the Hip pockets are just silly and nearly useless. Not a light pack by any means but pretty comfy even at 50lbs... it can get squeaky though. Love the vented "arched" style frame... so much so, that I purchased a zpacks arc-zip pack for my now UL loads; I still have my Osprey as my loaner pack now.

I did a review on the Granite Gear VC men's 60L if interested.
    review/

Quote Originally Posted by MtDoraDave View Post
    Last year, I was looking for a new pack that was large enough for a bear cannister and my winter sleeping bag and layers.
    Through suggestions here and hours of online research, I narrowed it down to two packs:
    Osprey Volt 75 liter 4lbs $200
    ULA Catalyst 3lbs $260

I ended up going with the Osprey Volt 75 for several reasons, but the main 2 were the traditional construction gave me more belief or confidence that it would be comfortable, and the lid/ brain; I really like the lid feature on a pack.
    It is very comfortable to me, and it holds everything I need for a week in cold weather.
    ...and now I have a Circuit, too.
    The Volt is comfortable, but I don't need 75 liters in the warmer seasons, so although the Circuit is supposedly 68 liters, it is almost two pounds lighter...and I'm soon going to replace my prolite plus with a neoair xlite, saving almost another pound.
    Last June I was around 27lbs fully loaded with 3 days of food and 1 liter of water. Looks like I can get down to 24 lbs. Woot
    ... I considered the Ohm, but sometimes I carry more food and water, and the Circuit is rated for more weight, and should carry it better.

Can't wait to load it up and take it out.
    Last edited by MtDoraDave; 03-13-2019 at 16:11.

I loaded up the Circuit and took it out for a walk.
    Quite comfortable. Nice pack.
    They attach 2 bungee cords on each shoulder strap to hold water bottles, and they worked pretty well, after getting used to them being slightly in the way.
    What I didn't like about that was that I had to stop and use both hands to get a bottle out to take a drink and again to put it back.
    Is there a hack for putting a drinking tube in the bottles I can copy? Or do I need to get creative?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++