WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Journal Entries

Default The Grand Italian Trail (Sentiero Italia)

As some of you might know I hiked the Sentiero Italia (over 3,000 miles) through the Alps and Appeninnes in Italy last year. I took my 10 year old daughter for most of it. I adapted a bit of the trail to suit my desire to see some of Austria and Switzerland as well as parts of Italy. The trail connects all of Italy East to West and North to South including Sicily and Sardinia. It was wild, fun and very tough. I’d compare it to the CDT for constant route finding (actually much more so) but like most European journeys, resupply and a bed are always pretty close.
    Here is a few minute clip of the long journey. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XlTqS4ST3VE

Some people call this hike the Grand Italian Trail
    YOUTUBE: https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCMDkRcGP1yP20SOD-oiSGcQ
    Instagram: DIGGER_PCT_2016
    twitter: @takethisbread
    AT 2x, LT, JMT, CT, Camino, Ireland Coast to Coast, HWT, WT, NET, NST, PCT

I really enjoyed your video. I'm an Italian/American who loves Italy. Since I retired three years ago, I've been there a couple of times for over a month total. Of course, I've seen all the tourist spots and then some. Last year, I hiked the trail among the Five Villages (Cinque Terre). It wasn't exactly an "AT" hike, but the scenery was beautiful.

I have often wondered if there was some sort of trail system in Italy. Do you know of a guide, book or web site that can give me information on the trail you hiked? How long did it take you to do the whole thing? What were the visa requirements? I have plenty of questions, as you can see. Hopefully, if you have a recommendation of a book or web site for research, most of the questions can be answered. I hope to finish the Appalachian Trail in a 900 mile LASH this year, and I'm thinking about next year on the PCT, but a hike in Italy would be a real draw if I could make it happen.

Give your daughter time to recover and she'll be hiking again. It gets in your blood.
    Trail Name - Slapshot
    "One step at a time."
    Blog - www.tonysadventure.com

Great clip!

For hiking whole Italy, a good starting point might be this:
    https://www.traildino.com/trace/cont...entiero_Italia

Great video. Thanks for posting. It must have been a great experience to share that with your daughter. She’ll remember it forever. I’m actually closer to Italy than the AT. Hmmmmm. Do you have a trail journal online?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Best thread in a while. Rosie? is a hiker. She has a great stride. She's adorable. She looks like she's plodding along on the way to school with her book bag and sleeping mat. What memories and life enduring lessons with your daughter. This is the stuff that makes a LIFE.

She has a light load but be careful she doesn't get into the habit of letting a pack hang off the back of her shoulders low as at 4:19 and 4:23. That's a lot of stress on her shoulders and increases with the load.

I really like you designed the hike to be a hiker on a scenic life experience walk that included Austria, Liechtenstein, Sardinia, Sicily, and Switzerland. GREAT HIKE!

Images

Incredible.

Shared with my 6th grade Science classes. Shock and awe. Mouths open.

Kudos to you both.
    Old Hiker
    AT Hike 2012 - 497 Miles of 2184
    AT Thru Hiker - 29 FEB - 03 OCT 2016 2189.1 miles
    Just because my teeth are showing, does NOT mean I'm smiling.
    Hányszor lennél inkább máshol?

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Wow..thanks for sharing. I was batting around the idea of doing something similar this summer.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

++ New Posts ++