WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Pack fit and the coccyx

I'm trying out a new pack, the ULA Circuit. The hip belt is at the lowest position (so that the bottom of the belt is on about the same level as the bottom of the pack).

I believe I have it fitted correctly via the ULA video and some correspondence with their staff. My iliac crest is right in the middle of the width of the hip belt. The load lifters don't quite come down at a 45 degree angle, more like 20 degrees or so (I'm pretty well in the medium range for torso length though).

However the pack seems to rest and put some pressure on my coccyx, right where the butt begins to taper out. The bottom of the pack that rests on the back has some hard lumpy thing (part of the frame?). I have tried the pack with 15 pounds and 25 pounds and it's quite a bit more noticeable at 25. I can imagine after hiking 15 miles a day this could lead to some discomfort.

If I hike up the hip belt a tad and tighten the shoulder and hip straps more than I normally would (and loosening the sternum strap a bit) it seems to alleviate this. But this leaves me feeling a bit on the restricted side. I can also feel the shoulder strap digging a bit into my arm a bit at the side of my arm pit. It also puts the front of my hip bone (just above the thigh) slightly below the bottom of the hip belt, which I'm under the impression should also be covered by the hip belt. So obviously this cannot be the solution.

I did not experience this at all with my previous pack (Flash 62, REI).

So when you wear a properly fitted back is there any contact / pressure between the bottom of the pack and the coccyx area? Should the pack sit just slightly above that area?

Thank you

You know my catalyst does this and my Ohm never did. My ohm was a medium and my catalyst is a large. But I didn’t realize that my belt on my catalyst needs to be lowered. I swapped on a smaller belt and now I’m running into this so it could be two things, I’d assume it’s a torso issue because it never did it untill I swapped the belt and raised it. Maybe a belt issue but I doubt it. Could be neither what do I know. My first thought was that it’s how the suspension is. I know the catalyst is super burley.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by sethd513 View Post
    You know my catalyst does this and my Ohm never did. My ohm was a medium and my catalyst is a large. But I didn’t realize that my belt on my catalyst needs to be lowered. I swapped on a smaller belt and now I’m running into this so it could be two things, I’d assume it’s a torso issue because it never did it untill I swapped the belt and raised it. Maybe a belt issue but I doubt it. Could be neither what do I know. My first thought was that it’s how the suspension is. I know the catalyst is super burley.
    Have you gone backpacking with it? How does it feel after many miles / days? Thanks for the reply. I assume it's not a common issue since I couldn't find one single thread about this anywhere.

I had a couple hundred miles on the bag before I swapped belts. Since I swapped belts I’ve only been out twice. First time was warm weather with the dog maybe 22 lbs because I had already sold my ohm and was waiting for it’s replacement. I felt it once or twice on a 15 mile trip but then forgot about it untill I was loaded this weekend with 35 lbs. I didn’t want to unpack so I didn’t move it. We did a 14 mile out and back this weekend with plastic boots on our feet and snow shoes on top of the pack. I think AllTrails said 3600 feet of elevation change. I felt it in my legs, not my pack. I think like the last time maybe once or twice early but then forgot till I saw this thred.

Throw a couple pillows in and some weight over what you hope to be carrying and go for a couple mile walk down the road. If it’s uncomfortable you’ll know and Chris will help if you bought new.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

++ New Posts ++