Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 33
  1. #1

    Default Using Nylon Material to Wipe

    I may have dreamed this... do people use old umbrella fabric to wipe #2 in the woods?!

  2. #2
    Registered User
    Join Date
    04-16-2004
    Location
    Purgatory, Maine
    Age
    78
    Posts
    868
    Images
    18

    Default

    Pine cones are best, but corncobs will suffice.
    Everyone has a photographic memory. Not everyone has film.

  3. #3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chknfngrs View Post
    I may have dreamed this... do people use old umbrella fabric to wipe #2 in the woods?!
    Confucius say: he who go to bed with chicken fingers and itchy butt, wake in morning with tales of umbrella ass.

  4. #4

    Default

    Alternate ending: violation by Burgess Merideth.

  5. #5
    MuddyWaters's Avatar
    Join Date
    05-05-2011
    Location
    state of confusion
    Posts
    8,480
    Journal Entries
    1

    Default

    Can never find an old umbrella when you need one.
    "Inevitably, a long distance hiker must choose between travelling light, and not travelling at all." - Earl V. Shaffer

  6. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    Can never find an old umbrella when you need one.
    The hills are alive, with the sound of music.

  7. #7

    Default

    Nylon is no-absorbent and slippery. I can't see it being of much use as TP. A cotton bandana would be a better choice.
    The AT - It has it's ups and downs...

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chknfngrs View Post
    I may have dreamed this... do people use old umbrella fabric to wipe #2 in the woods?!
    Not that I've ever heard of. But hey, water works exceptionally well.
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    Nylon is no-absorbent and slippery. I can't see it being of much use as TP. A cotton bandana would be a better choice.
    Ok, how would one go about cleaning the bandanna and storing it? This just seems “easier” than a pine cone or sticks. All I’ve ever used is TP and I wanna flex my LNT

  10. #10
    Registered User swjohnsey's Avatar
    Join Date
    10-13-2010
    Location
    Kingsville, Texas
    Age
    71
    Posts
    2,262

    Default

    A quarter of a microfiber rag like folks use to detail cars works very well, removes the dookie and is easy to wash out. Safety pin it to a big article of clothing when you do your laundry. Carry it in a Ziploc bag.

  11. #11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chknfngrs View Post
    Ok, how would one go about cleaning the bandanna and storing it? This just seems “easier” than a pine cone or sticks. All I’ve ever used is TP and I wanna flex my LNT
    You go over and rinse it out in the nearest spring or stream of course.

    The inner layer of white birch bark works remarkably well, almost like TP. But that only works in New England.
    The AT - It has it's ups and downs...

  12. #12
    Registered User
    Join Date
    12-28-2015
    Location
    Bad Ischl, Austria
    Age
    60
    Posts
    831

    Default

    There are shelfs full of books how to ***** in the Woods, I guess.
    What I do:
    First and rough cleanup with a suitable (roundish and slick) stone, then apply water in small consecutive amounts using exclusively the LEFT hand for cleaning, and last apply a tiny drop of liquid Baby soap and repeat the watering/cleaning.
    Drying up in the desert is a non-issue. For drying up in the damp environment back home I sometimes use the lower seam of my hiking trousers (Remember: This is only for drying up something thats perfectly clean already).
    Applying some cream helps to cleanup much easier the next time, and prevents chafing.
    Generally, I'm trying my best to do the business in places and in a way that hardly anybody would ever notice I've been there and done that.

  13. #13
    Registered User
    Join Date
    07-10-2010
    Location
    Cypress, tx
    Age
    63
    Posts
    375

    Default

    Seems like you'd need a new umbrella every couple of weeks, but I guess a new one would probably work just as good as an old one. Strange solution to the problem, though. You do know that TP works just the same in the woods, right? It's probably a lot easier on those composting toilets, too.

  14. #14
    Registered User
    Join Date
    12-12-2015
    Location
    Rockwell City Iowa
    Age
    56
    Posts
    56

    Default

    If I ever get too old or too weak to carry TP,it is time to hang up the pack and head to the nursing home.

  15. #15
    Registered User swjohnsey's Avatar
    Join Date
    10-13-2010
    Location
    Kingsville, Texas
    Age
    71
    Posts
    2,262

    Default

    If I ever get to the point I don't see the little white TP blossoms all over the place I will figure I have gone senile and stop hiking. You figure Daniel Boone used TP? Wonder what Earl Shaffer used. I don't see TP mentioned in any of his writings.

  16. #16

    Default

    Wipe with the left eat with the right

  17. #17
    GAME 06
    Join Date
    10-15-2004
    Location
    Prescott, Arizona
    Age
    63
    Posts
    657

    Default

    Hmm lots of weird answers.

    Yes, wipe with left hand if you eat with the right (if you are that coordinated that is).

    After having gone through the last 50 years of advise on what is 'best' and what others do I offer my poop wisdom.

    USE WET WIPES as they beat everything else hands down.
    PACK them out in a zip lock bag. I prefer the individual packets they sell at Wallmart, but even the small packs of 20 or so are ok.
    They get you completely clean using only 1 or 2.
    Because they get you clean you don't get Monkey Butt.
    Carry antichafing stuff anyway. I use the little tubes of Vaseline lip therapy (blue cap) which are sold pretty much everywhere. You don't need that expensive stuff.

  18. #18
    Registered User
    Join Date
    03-20-2013
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Age
    64
    Posts
    747
    Images
    2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wyoming View Post
    Hmm lots of weird answers.
    Yes, wipe with left hand if you eat with the right (if you are that coordinated that is).
    After having gone through the last 50 years of advise on what is 'best' and what others do I offer my poop wisdom.
    USE WET WIPES as they beat everything else hands down.
    PACK them out in a zip lock bag. I prefer the individual packets they sell at Wallmart, but even the small packs of 20 or so are ok.
    They get you completely clean using only 1 or 2.
    Because they get you clean you don't get Monkey Butt.

    Carry antichafing stuff anyway. I use the little tubes of Vaseline lip therapy (blue cap) which are sold pretty much everywhere. You don't need that expensive stuff.

    Everything should have a dual use. Just use it in the right order.
    76 HawkMtn w/Rangers
    13 HF>CramptonsGap
    14 LHHT
    15 Girard/Quebec/LostTurkey/Saylor/Tuscarora/BlackForest
    16 Kennerdell/Cranberry-OtterCreek/DollySods/WRim-NCT
    17 BearRun

  19. #19
    Registered User
    Join Date
    12-12-2015
    Location
    Rockwell City Iowa
    Age
    56
    Posts
    56

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by swjohnsey View Post
    If I ever get to the point I don't see the little white TP blossoms all over the place I will figure I have gone senile and stop hiking. You figure Daniel Boone used TP? Wonder what Earl Shaffer used. I don't see TP mentioned in any of his writings.
    You are correct of course. TP should be packed out,LNT is important. On the other point,I think you are also correct about Earl and Daniel. On the other hand,they also did not have nylon,cuben fiber,lightweight food,or lightweight anything for that matter. I think I prefer some of the modern inventions.

  20. #20

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by swjohnsey View Post
    If I ever get to the point I don't see the little white TP blossoms all over the place I will figure I have gone senile and stop hiking. You figure Daniel Boone used TP? Wonder what Earl Shaffer used. I don't see TP mentioned in any of his writings.
    Joseph Gayetty is widely credited with being the inventor of modern commercially available toilet paper in the United States. Gayetty's paper, first introduced in 1857, was available as late as the 1920s. Gayetty's Medicated Paper was sold in packages of flat sheets, watermarked with the inventor's name.
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •