WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Contaminated water can cause Peyronie’s decease.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post
    Sawyer recommends flushing the filter with diluted bleach in between trips and for long term storage. Don't know if that's totally effective, but I'm sure it improves the situation. Personally I buy a new mini every year, at $25 a piece I'd rather just have a new clean one each spring.
    1+

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It really comes down to where you hike and where is your water source.
    Even when hiking in Nepal and Thailand, i often don't treat water I find in the backcountry.
    If I know there are no houses above me and the water is flowing and coming out of the ground, I drink it. Straight!

The AT is getting so overcrowded and people must shyt somewhere right?
    So, I would suspect a lot of water sources along it's trail more than other trails.
    And when I do treat water, it is not with an expensive, heavy, time consuming filter. I use tablets.
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

Well, I'm a coward. I filter AND treat all my water. Period. There are enough things that can go wrong without dealing with a preventable illness. Besides, I hate throwing up more than about anything else in the world.

For the cost of a few dollars and a bit of time you have water that may be cleaner than if you just drank from the source. But what is that filter or tablets? It insurance that if statistically you are the unlucky bugger that draws from a contaminated source your trip won't end with jets out the rear end and technicolor yawns out of the top end or worse. It's the same reason that aussies or people that walk here carry a PLB. Statistically your chances of being bitten by a snake are very low, but if you are on a remote trail, and are bitten, then there is a good chance you will die without one. It's insurance, just like taking out car, house and contents or life insurance.
    "He was a wise man who invented beer." Plato

It's all a conspiracy. Really?

Water nasties are real. They exist.
    Giardasis is an actual infection diagnosed by medical professionals accurately.

Claim there are individually adjustable risks - low, med, high, etc - to drinking untreated unfiltered unpurified water but to unequivocally headline an article with that title is medically irresponsible.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    It's all a conspiracy. Really?

Water nasties are real. They exist.
    Giardasis is an actual infection diagnosed by medical professionals accurately.

Claim there are individually adjustable risks - low, med, high, etc - to drinking untreated unfiltered unpurified water but to unequivocally headline an article with that title is medically irresponsible.
    Well, in a way the article is right.
    Getting the craps isn't that bad for most people, if not on trail at time.

I seen a fkt sidelined by giardia once. The person still made it 100+ miles stopping every 30 min to crap.

Most people Will get over it by themselves with time
    But your right as well
    A few weak individuals can die
    People have died from cryptosporidium outbreaks in municipal water supplies

A few out of tens of thousands. So there's your risk.

Google 1993 Milwaukee outbreak of crypto. 400,000 sickened, 100 died. Maybe 900,000 exposed.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 02-04-2018 at 02:01.

Quote Originally Posted by TX Aggie View Post
    There are a ton of us who “grew up never filtering our water.”.........
    When I was in high school we went on canoe trips down several different rivers in Texas and when we needed a drink we just dipped a cup in the river and drank. The rivers often passed beside cow pastures, the water was brown and full of particulates and had the occasional dead animal floating downstream. I never got sick. Would I do that today? No way. I would treat the water and not trust to luck.
    If you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TexasBob View Post
    When I was in high school we went on canoe trips down several different rivers in Texas and when we needed a drink we just dipped a cup in the river and drank. The rivers often passed beside cow pastures, the water was brown and full of particulates and had the occasional dead animal floating downstream. I never got sick. Would I do that today? No way. I would treat the water and not trust to luck.
    I did same as kid. Drank out of residential ponds and Creek in woods.

I recall pinworms in my feces too. Went away without ever being treated..didn't tell parents. But when my kids got them, off to dr and we all drank the nasty white medicine .

Images

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    I suspected that at some point there would be a new twist to this thread. I hope no one gets bent out of shape over it.

Quote Originally Posted by 4eyedbuzzard View Post
    I suspected that at some point there would be a new twist to this thread. I hope no one gets bent out of shape over it.
    Gooood one!

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    Ain't that a kick in the pants?
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Journal Entries
    Images

Consider this scenario.

There are three glasses of water on the table.

Glass one was filled directly from an unopened bottle of Poland Spring water.

Glass two was filled with water from an unopened bottle of Poland Spring that had then been run through a used.Sawyer Mini. That Sawyer Mini had been carried on an AT thru hike for the past 5 months.

Glass three was filled with water from a fast flowing mountain stream in Maine or NH.

Assuming your decision is based on health considerations alone, would you prefer to drink from one of the three glass over another? If so, which glass would you reach for?

obvious, right?

But which glass would you select after the one filled directly from the unopened bottle of Poland Spring is gone?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by 4eyedbuzzard View Post
    I hope no one gets bent out of shape over it.
    Note to self put down coffee when reading threads. LMAO
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L’Amour

I always got a kick out of watching 'em pump and filter and play with their chemistry sets. With my Peyronie’s I find I can hit the g spot every time.

Quote Originally Posted by rickb View Post
    Consider this scenario.

There are three glasses of water on the table.

Glass one was filled directly from an unopened bottle of Poland Spring water.

Glass two was filled with water from an unopened bottle of Poland Spring that had then been run through a used.Sawyer Mini. That Sawyer Mini had been carried on an AT thru hike for the past 5 months.

Glass three was filled with water from a fast flowing mountain stream in Maine or NH.

Assuming your decision is based on health considerations alone, would you prefer to drink from one of the three glass over another? If so, which glass would you reach for?

obvious, right?

But which glass would you select after the one filled directly from the unopened bottle of Poland Spring is gone?
    Change "NH or Maine" in the above scenario to "New York or New Jersey" and ask yourself the same question...

Quote Originally Posted by swjohnsey View Post
    I always got a kick out of watching 'em pump and filter and play with their chemistry sets. With my Peyronie’s I find I can hit the g spot every time.
    One should aim for the bowl itself, not the letters in the toilet manufacturers name at the rear of the device.

Quote Originally Posted by hipbone View Post
    Change "NH or Maine" in the above scenario to "New York or New Jersey" and ask yourself the same question...
    How about tap water from Flint, MI?

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
    One should aim for the bowl itself, not the letters in the toilet manufacturers name at the rear of the device.
    Worst part's that the toilet was an American Standard.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Quote Originally Posted by TX Aggie View Post
    How about tap water from Flint, MI?
    Probably gonna filter that also

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++