WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Simple question! If you see someone jump off a bridge do you follow or not? I'm not a kid anymore so I will do the responsible thing and use a filter because I know there are people in this world who can drink or eat things that could kill the rest of us and there are people who just love to push the edge just for the excitement.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TexasBob View Post
    Another way to look at it is that 1 out of 4 people is a potential source of infection for the 3 out of 4 who don't have giardia and will be symptomatic if they get it. I hope the 1 out of 4 infected person doesn't poop near the water source.
    The giardia outbreaks common to daycare centers.......dont come from drinking the water.

I'd wager that none of those toddlers even hike yet either.

Asymptomatic parents pass it to kids, whether asymptomatic or not, they pass it to other kids .
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 02-03-2018 at 11:18.

Folks are filtering water coming straight out of a mountain spring then go to the store and buy spring water. Go figure!

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post
    Sawyer recommends flushing the filter with diluted bleach in between trips and for long term storage. Don't know if that's totally effective, but I'm sure it improves the situation. Personally I buy a new mini every year, at $25 a piece I'd rather just have a new clean one each spring.
    Instead of bleach, I started flushing with my aquamira mixture. They use larger bottles of the same mix for treating stored water, such as 50 gal drums. So I do my mix, when it turns yellow I add to my water and let mix Afro about 3-5 minutes then flush the filter. The sanitation process takes 30 minutes but continues for almost 2 hours and is supposed to sanitize any storage containers the water is in, including filters. It also doesn’t leave the chlorine taste.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm new to this site but not new to the outdoors. I don't ever recall not filtering or treating my water, even when I was a grunt in the Army. Its so easy and simple, especially in these modern times. There is so many things that can take you off trail, why take a chance. In my experience being lazy when dealing with mother nature will get you in trouble. So I'll be safe rather than sorry. With that said, I think you should do what you want. The only reason I commented, is for the new hiker/outdoors person.

Wow . Ford ,Chevy, dodge ? Ski doo ,arctic cat , Yamaha? Never heard a windier bunch till I decided I might go for a walk. Get over it . It's simple. Carry it or live without it. Yooperman

[QUOTE=yooperman;2191929]Wow . Ford ,Chevy, dodge ? Ski doo ,arctic cat , Yamaha? Never heard a windier bunch till I decided I might go for a walk. Get over it . It's simple. Carry it or live without it. Yooperman[/QUOTE

He also says that filters are $99 (really?!) and he implies that hikers are hiking in "wilderness areas". I'd like to, but it isn't necessarily the case. Thanks but I'll filter, though right now, I'm hiking in the desert odds of me finding any water at all are pretty slim.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by hipbone View Post
    I take a Visine bottle of bleach with me into the field. Every few days I put a few drops of bleach into my plunger and back wash my filter with bleach water.
    I don’t go that far — seems lik a good idea though — but I think I am more careful than most keeping my input and output hoses segregated. And I am very careful to make sure my Sawyer Mini won’t leak out the input side when packed up.

If there is as much Giardia out there in the wild as some suggest, then there must be an astounding number in that little tube in which I put my family’s trust.

Speaking of family, I wonder if I am the only one to ever pack disposable food service gloves. Not sure if they are good for one’s health, but I know they can be good for one’s marriage when it comes time to cut up some veggies.

I see it as a laziness issue---sure it's easier to just not bother with filtering water on a hiking/backpacking trip. But if you do filter water, what could it hurt??

In the 1970s/1980s we never carried a filter or filtered any water on our hundreds of backpacking trips. "Pristine nature" and all. Spent the worst night of my life in the Mt Rogers crest zone after drinking tainted cow water and puked all night by my tent near the gap at Elk Garden. In '84 got the running squirts from a bout with Mr Giardia. Survived.

Why filter and/or treat water? Several dang good reasons---

TRIP 102 OCTOBER-NOV 2009 193-XL.jpg
    I was coming down the Grassy Branch trail from Grassy Gap and found this wad of human crap right next to the headwaters of Grassy Branch Creek. Stupid idiots.

Trip 184 (313)-XL.jpg
    I was backpacking up the Jacks River in the Cohutta wilderness and found this pile of human effluvia right next to the Jacks. Stupid idiots.

Quote Originally Posted by Offshore View Post
    They do it to add fluoride and other mind-control substances, don't you read the Internet?
    Lmao!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

I think the article makes some great and outstanding points!!

I am 56 years old and spent significant amounts of time camping and backpacking in the western US since before I was old enough to remember. I never filtered or treated a drop of water I drank until the last five years. Hell, as a kid I used to drink from streams running through our rural neighborhood.

To my knowledge, I have NEVER been sick from the water I drank or drink.

Now living and hiking/backpacking in the NE US, I have started treating water more regularly, but absolutely not always. What I have come to decide is that water treatment is easier because I can draw water from a much wider range of sources with confidence, and therefore don't have to carry as much water with me to make sure I make it to the next "good" source.

So, laziness has driven me to treating water, at least occasionally, NOT the other way around.
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

I never filter and rarely treat my water. Some are actually paying a lot of money for not filtered water.
    https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/12/2...es-too-n835076

Quote Originally Posted by yooperman View Post
    Wow . Ford ,Chevy, dodge ? Ski doo ,arctic cat , Yamaha? Never heard a windier bunch till I decided I might go for a walk. Get over it . It's simple. Carry it or live without it. Yooperman
    Polaris....

Anybody try filtering using natural materials?

I'm not sure the system has a name, but what I saw consisted of three dew rags arranged in layers, one above the other, attached to a tripod.

Top had dry grass, middle was sand, and bottom was charcoal. You dump your water in the top and catch it below the system.

After a few (3??) Runs through the system your water is ready for boiling then consumption.

I'd be interested in knowing if there are any data or analysis on the practicality of that system.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by MA_Woodaman View Post
    Anybody try filtering using natural materials?

I'm not sure the system has a name, but what I saw consisted of three dew rags arranged in layers, one above the other, attached to a tripod.

Top had dry grass, middle was sand, and bottom was charcoal. You dump your water in the top and catch it below the system.

After a few (3??) Runs through the system your water is ready for boiling then consumption.

I'd be interested in knowing if there are any data or analysis on the practicality of that system.
    No data here …

Just thoughts:
    1. Water picks up stuff including pathogens from grass.
    2. Coarse visible particles (‘woodsies’, ‘crudsies’ and ‘faustsies’) get filtered out by clean dewrag/bandana/shemadgh.
    3. Then gets more pathogens from sand.
    4. Then possibly more pathogens from passing around (not through charcoal!). (Ever ‘anointed’/pissed on a fire to put it out?)
    5. Then gets sterilized by boiling.

Only effective part of this crazy approach? Boiling!

I spent about three months paddling a kayak down the Mississippi River from Lake Itasca to the Gulf of Mexico. I drank river water the whole way using a prefilter made from half a 2 liter coke bottle filled with gravel with a piece of old T-shirt I found on some railroad tracks on top. I used bleach to purify. Other than a slight tick and webbed toes, I'm O.K.

There are a ton of us who “grew up never filtering our water.”

Sadly, those were different times. Times when most of the people who went out into nature were outdoorsmen, not city people escaping the city for the day. As has been demonstrated, if left to itself, natural water sources should be perfectly fine, but they’re not left to themselves. There are now hundreds of thousands of people who either don’t know the proper ways to poop in the woods, or simply don’t care to follow the rules. You know, because rules are for fools and suckers.

Different times we live in. Unless I see it coming straight out of the rocks, chances are I’m filtering/treating.

Quote Originally Posted by Offshore View Post
    They do it to add fluoride and other mind-control substances, don't you read the Internet?
    The mind control stuff is all coming from planes. DUH!

Contaminated water can cause Peyronie’s decease.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++