WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Laundry bag not the mesh kind. My exos 38 fits into a pillow case loaded without the brain attached.

Oops I forgot got to say. I collapse my poles and slide them down the side of the pack.

You don't need anything. Put everything inside the pack, cinch all the straps down and tie the loose ends together. Check it.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wordstew View Post
    Go to a farm or a farm type store and get an empty feed bag... they will probably give you one for free. They are extremely tough
    Excellent idea! We use feed bags at home all the time for trash, kindling, recyclables, storage of supplies for garden/other stuff. I modified several feed bags to create a modular "kit" for storage of the parts/pieces for a large canopy (much too heavy to manage as one package). They are indeed quite durable. However, they're also a little bit slick. If you're flying with your pack in a feed bag, I'd recommend some type of closure, maybe staples or some sort of string tie, or your pack will just slide right out of it.

----

We have two duffels, but usually use only one. One duffel gets stuffed with the biggest pack, with most equipment, poles, boots, sleeping bag, food bag, clothes bag, etc to just under the 50-pound limit for checked bags. Whatever is over the weight limit gets stuffed in my pack. Without its usual on-trail contents, my pack holds travel documents/papers, electronics, travel snacks, jackets, etc, and easily fits in the overhead bins.

Quote Originally Posted by Singto View Post
    Hiking poles?
    Not TSA-approved for carry-on. Also problematic are tent poles, tent stakes, pocket knives, any stove with a trace of fuel or petroleum lubricant, and maybe cathole trowels. I'm mailing those items to Atlanta c/o General Delivery so they'll be waiting for me the morning I fly in. I've got three stops to make in Atlanta so I'll buy a MARTA day pass:

1. Post Office: pick up that box
    2. Walmart: buy fuel for my stove plus food (Fritos not squashed on the trip )
    3. North Springs: closest MARTA station to the AT

My pack will stay with me.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DownEaster View Post
    Not TSA-approved for carry-on. Also problematic are tent poles, tent stakes, pocket knives, any stove with a trace of fuel or petroleum lubricant, and maybe cathole trowels. I'm mailing those items to Atlanta c/o General Delivery so they'll be waiting for me the morning I fly in. I've got three stops to make in Atlanta so I'll buy a MARTA day pass:

Makes me laugh to remember the TSA agent with her gloved hands examining my trowel. She looked at me a little weird when I told her what it was for.
    Haha!

(Hiking Poles) Not TSA-approved for carry-on.
    I've carried my trekking poles as carry on luggage several times - no problem. I put the rubber tips on, so maybe that placates TSA.
    Trail Name - Slapshot
    "One step at a time."
    Blog - www.tonysadventure.com

I had all of these items in my carry-on pack when I flew home from Bangor, through Philadelphia, and Chicago to Toledo last summer. TSA didn’t seem to mind. They made me stand there as they went through my pack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Deacon View Post
    I had all of these items in my carry-on pack when I flew home from Bangor, through Philadelphia, and Chicago to Toledo last summer. TSA didn’t seem to mind. They made me stand there as they went through my pack.
    It might all work out, as the whole is obviously a collection of backpacking gear rather than the tools of a nefarious nogoodnik. However, it might also go horribly wrong, with all the rules-prohibited items confiscated. What would you do then?

Images

It might all work out, as the whole is obviously a collection of backpacking gear rather than the tools of a nefarious nogoodnik. However, it might also go horribly wrong, with all the rules-prohibited items confiscated. What would you do then?
    If TSA denies your carry-on, just go back to the counter and send it as checked luggage. Put all of your meds and other such items in one of your stuff sacks as a boarding bag. Since your boarding pass has by then already been checked and marked prior to the carry-on inspection, usually TSA will then have you re-enter through TSA Pre or waive you to the front of the line during such an occurrence. Ask them POLITELY. Like anywhere else, the polite thing goes a long way

Since I have a single flight to my starting point, if I want to try and carry-on questionable items, I will go through security early enough to go back to the check-in counter and check the items....knowing they might have to locate my bag and bring it back to the counter. In fact, I would maybe ask the ticket counter to hold my checked bag there for 30-45 minutes in case this might happen.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Singto View Post
    Since I have a single flight to my starting point, if I want to try and carry-on questionable items, I will go through security early enough to go back to the check-in counter and check the items....knowing they might have to locate my bag and bring it back to the counter. In fact, I would maybe ask the ticket counter to hold my checked bag there for 30-45 minutes in case this might happen.
    Why not just check questionable items anyway???

It's one thing if you don't have a checked bag. Totally different if do, no reason not to.

Journal Entries
    Images

Check Amazon for a Nylon Laundry Bag. I did this when we went Philmont last year.
    Cheap and it worked great,

If you have a Costco membership, they carry relatively cheap, decent quality bags from time to time

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++