WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Pack Liner

Journal Entries

Default Pack Liner

Looking for a quality pack liner for my new Osprey Exos 48 Pack. Outdoor Research (OR) made a 50L that would fit, but they are out of stock. Want one that will completely seal the contents of my pack from H20. Any suggestions?

Images

Hefty (or similar) 18 gallon (68 liter) trash compactor bags. 5 for $10 on Amazon.

Z packs has some nice large light weight pack liners. A little smaller than you ne Ed maybe here’s a link with review. Https://sticksblog.com/2011/05/16/zpacks-cuben-fiber-18x36-dry-sack-pack-liner/ I al so respect the hefty trash bag idea.

Happy trails !

Osprey makes pack liners if you don't want to go the compactor bag route. REI has them online. I looked for them in-store the other day just to eyeball them for reference but they don't appear to stock them, just the covers.

Leonidas

Trash compactor, contractor bag or the Zpacks. The first 2 are cheap and ~2oz depending on size, last is ~$50 and 1.2oz if I recall correctly.
    AT: 695.7 mi
    Benton MacKaye Trail '20
    Pinhoti Trail '18-19'
    @leonidasonthetrail https://www.youtube.com/c/LeonidasontheTrail

+1 on the compactor bags. Cheap and bombproof. Roll the top closed and secure with 2 office binder clips.

I used a compactor bag on my thru, just rolled the top and put my food bag on top of that (everything was in ziplocks in my food bag). Worked perfectly. I would recommend the compactor bag and not just a pack liner. A few times it got so windy, people were having much trouble with them. You'll probably not find one that'll completely seal and keep your entire pack dry as the shoulder straps will be a direct channel (once they get soaked) to the back of your pack, and eventually inside. Best case, use both (they're both very light). I only used the compactor bag, but on future hikes will have both because the pack gets soaked and heavy. hope this helps.
    - Trail name: Thumper

GAME 06

It is not cheap of course, but I have 4 different Zpack waterproof bags of different sizes (I like organization) for different sets of items and 1 compactor bag for for the sleeping bag. And the Z-pack pack is pretty waterproof when it is new - but no so much later.

13-45 Section Hiker Trash
    Images

Trash compactor bags, you can get a box of 10 for a few bucks. I've been using them for years with no issue. One other thing that is nice about them is duct tape sticks very well to them if you get a hole.
    AT: 2007-2019 (45 sections)
    JMT: 2013

I like the smaller and lighter turkey roasting bag.

Thom

GAME 06

Quote Originally Posted by Cheyou View Post
    I like the smaller and lighter turkey roasting bag.

Thom
    And if you manage to catch one of those wild turkeys you are ready to start cooking?

I ran into lots of turkeys last hike ;0)

Yeah and if you ever walk under their roosting tree and scare them you'll definitely want to wear that roasting bag!

Compactor bags. I had a cuben liner and it developed tiny pinholes after a while, which I found out about in a drenching rainstorm when my pack cover also failed. Luckily I had my sleeping bag in another dry bag and was heading into a place where I could dry all my stuff out. A compactor bag is more durable, weighs only a tiny bit more and can be replaced. To me it is an obvious choice.

Images

The Zpacks cuben fiber roll top pack liner works well. It kept all my stuff totally bone dry on a month long hike when my pack fabric started peeling and all the coating came off on the inside. It was also a very rainy month The cuben fabric has held up very well -- been using the same liner for several years. I regularly check it for pinholes, none yet. (Fixable with duct tape.) It's not cheap but it works a lot better for me than trash bags.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Trash Bag or Contactor Bag or Compactor Bag.

Quote Originally Posted by bigcranky View Post
    The Zpacks cuben fiber roll top pack liner works well. It kept all my stuff totally bone dry on a month long hike when my pack fabric started peeling and all the coating came off on the inside. It was also a very rainy month The cuben fabric has held up very well -- been using the same liner for several years. I regularly check it for pinholes, none yet. (Fixable with duct tape.) It's not cheap but it works a lot better for me than trash bags.
    I filled up the pack liner dry bag with water in a motel after the failure and was shocked how many pin holes there were. If my compactor bags (not regular trash bags) get a hole, it should be visible. I've tried the same bathtub test and never seen any issues, and it's cheap to replace if needed. It is possible that I pushed the cuben pack liner past its intended useful life. It probably had over 100 days of use before I encountered the failure. I sent zPacks some feedback on this when I encountered the failure.

Quote Originally Posted by StichBurly View Post
    Trash Bag or Contactor Bag or Compactor Bag.
    Compactor. These are what I use. It is hard to find unscented compactor bags in stores, I've found, so these from amazon do the trick. Just $2/each.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Quote Originally Posted by Coffee View Post
    Compactor. These are what I use. It is hard to find unscented compactor bags in stores, I've found, so these from amazon do the trick. Just $2/each.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Money saved on compactor bags can buy extra cheeseburgers in town.

Ebay item #122939663691. 5 Hefty 18 gallon compactor bags for $4.16 shipped.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++