WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

I'm that guy with a big black compactor bag with 2 slits cut out for straps, and 2 little slits for the belt (and duct tape at the end of each slit.) I don't do it because I'm frugal, or because I'm fashionable or the opposite. I do it because it absolutely work best for me. I have owned pack covers before, but ultimately my trash bag is preferred - meaning I wouldn't use a pack cover if you bought it for me. I've never used a Packa though so if you're buying I'll try it. ...As far as my trash bag pack cover: The weight - No idea, Material - 3 mil, The cost - I dunno 45 cents?, Durability - replaced 3 times over the course of a thru hike. I'm not saying anybody should do it my way, it's just what works for me.

I use my mid tent.... it multi-tasks as rain cape/pack cover, among other things.

I saw a neat pack cover that converted into a hammock chair on Dutch's site.

Quote Originally Posted by Rex Clifton View Post
    Pack covers are a waste, they won’t keep your pack dry in anything harder than a drizzle. The water is gonna run down your back and soak the pack from behind. Line your pack with a compactor bag instead, or use a rain poncho.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    On packs that suspend (like the Osprey) they do very well in the rain. Heck, the Baltero (which is too heavy) handles a solid rain with a pack cover and not getting wet.

That said, I use waterproof dry sacks too. So if the pack covers fail I'm still dry. I used to use a compactor or heavy duty trash sack on the inside. But I like having the outside of the pack dry.

I like Osprey's pack covers and have used them on other packs. Pack covers help, and I prefer them over no cover in the rain.

Quote Originally Posted by tawa View Post
    Recently purchased a new Osprey Exos 58 pack, Now need a rain cover for it.
    My question is--would you spend more by getting one that is specific to this Osprey pack or would you just look for pretty much any rain cover at a reduced price?
    Is there really all that much difference in the quality or material they use?
    Can be. Depends on what you're comparing.

Quote Originally Posted by moldy View Post
    Either way will work fine. If you do go to a store to purchase one. Pack your pack and bring it with you so you can try them out for fit.
    Good advice.

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    Yep, pack cover can definitely help keep the pack from becoming water logged. The cover also provides a place to unload gear onto when the ground is wet. It also helps to keep water out of the pack when it decides to start to shower about midnight and your mostly empty pack is outside.

All good pts. Applying a DWR or WPing agent to an Osprey Exos 58 can do much the same from keeping a pack from becoming waterlogged with less wt and need for keeping track of another gear piece.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++