WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Tarp ridgeline set up

I have a Warbonnet Superfly tarp and am deciding if I want the ridgeline to be under the tarp or outside of it. I know you can hang stuff like socks and lights from it if it's inside, but my Dreamhammock Darien also has a ridgeline that will do the job. Thoughts?

I use guylines with Dutch Stingerz at each end. I find a continuous ridgeline with prusik knots tend to lead to tarp sag eventually. My WB Blackbird also has a ridgeline and gear shelf—plenty for storing gear. Dutch also sells a side pocket for the Chameleon. That might work for your hammock.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Seems like a good question for hammock forums dot net. You could also search "the ultimate hang dot com".

Whichever way you go, be aware running a ridgeline under the tarp can wick rainwater under the tarp too, unless you also deploy some driplines to channel water away before it gets over your head. I larks-head a short length of old shoelace on each when I set up this way, though lately I've just used end-only tie outs, so there's no need for drip lines.

Use guylines with FlyZ attached to each end. No sag, simple, easy, and less line that can tangle in storage.

It's really personal preference whether or not you run it under or over. Caveat: If you're expecting snow run it under for the support. IMO try it both ways and see which one grabs ya =)

Also be careful if you run it under the tarp and expect rain. If the ridgeline is offset from the tarps seam, it can create a place for water to pool and it will drip on you.
    Personally I use tarp flyz and separate line on each end of my Superfly but it really is a preference thing. There is no one way that rules them all.

I used to run the line under the tarp when I had a Superfly, but over time it seemed like the friction between the ridgeline and the seam running down the middle of the tarp led to leaks that I had to seal. I went to using two separate lines on each end, which I think gives me a tighter pitch, and just use the ridgeline in my hammock to hang clothes to dry.

The other thing you can always do is carry 20 feet of fishing line or something super light and just string it between your trees above your hammock (but under your tarp) to have a clothesline that is out of the weather.
    -tagg

Yeah, I think I'm gonna go with a line on each end instead of one ridgeline.

The SuperFly is catenary cut so it probably would not hang right with a ridgeline underneath.

Quote Originally Posted by No Directions View Post
    The SuperFly is catenary cut so it probably would not hang right with a ridgeline underneath.
    It hangs pretty well as long as I do the tie-outs evenly.

I also use the dutch stingerz with 12' of lash it on each end
    Works great

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The new DD Hammock Pro tarps 3x3m have 5 tie-outs along the ridgeline. The setup is super sweet with this tarp as many different setups are possible, including patching together four 3x3 tarps, into a mega group tarp. My basic A-frame setup goes up in under two minutes when I setup between two trees.
    https://www.ddhammocks.com/product/D...PRO?from_cat=2

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AlamoHiker View Post
    Yeah, I think I'm gonna go with a line on each end instead of one ridgeline.
    Before you decide, check out this video by Derek Hansen on a continuous ridgeline. Makes tarp hanging/packing so much easier. Plus you can keep your tarp off the ground when setting up or packing up.
    Blackheart

++ New Posts ++