WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Titanium Nail stakes, Vargo vs China

I'm interested in picking up some 5mm thick titanium nail stakes. 6.5-7" long

I can find the Vargo's but they are quite pricey at $25 shipped for the set.

I am finding a ton of stakes from China on eBay that look and are probably exactly the same product. For instance.

https://m.ebay.com/itm/6-Titanium-Te...kAAOSwEEBaRhNQ

Does anyone have experience ordering ti stakes from China? Should I be weary of anything. Or does anyone have a better solution.

The ones I listed look identical, have the same specs, but come in different colors as the Vargo's. They're $10 cheaper and I'll have to wait a little while for them.

I'm looking to pick up no more than 6 of these guys. I really only need four. They're replacing two ti shepherds and two carbon stakes.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Not China, or nails, but if you can live with hooks try Lawson stakes:
    http://lawsonequipment.com/Titanium-...akes-p883.html

Not produced overseas where environmental laws are known to be lax, not weirdly anodized (to cover shoddy heat-treatment?), not shipped across the pacific ocean, and made in the US.

FWIW: Although titanium is stronger than aluminum, aluminum is lighter. If holding power (i.e. length and width) is more important than strength, titanium is not the best choice.

Aluminum gutter spikes you can buy at Home Depot for $7.80 for 10 are longer, larger diameter, and lighter than the Vargo Titanium Nail Pegs. If you beat the crap out of your tent stakes and don't want maximum holding power per gram, get titanium. If you want really decent poundability (they are nails afterall) and more holding power per gram and per dollar, try out the gutter spikes.
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

Haven't played with gutter spikes. Im interested in the durability of the titanium nails.

I need to carry 8 stakes with me. Right now I'm carrying

2x MSR GroundHogs
    2x Ti V Stakes
    2x Carbon Fiber Stakes
    2x Ti Shepherds Hooks

I want to keep my ground hogs and v stakes. I like those.

I like the simple shape of the carbon fiber nail pegs but they lack durability in my experience. The ti shepherds just don't have enough holding power for my liking.

Quote Originally Posted by nsherry61 View Post
    FWIW: Although titanium is stronger than aluminum, aluminum is lighter. If holding power (i.e. length and width) is more important than strength, titanium is not the best choice.

Aluminum gutter spikes you can buy at Home Depot for $7.80 for 10 are longer, larger diameter, and lighter than the Vargo Titanium Nail Pegs. If you beat the crap out of your tent stakes and don't want maximum holding power per gram, get titanium. If you want really decent poundability (they are nails afterall) and more holding power per gram and per dollar, try out the gutter spikes.
    Great suggestion. Have you field tested them?
    You can walk in another person's shoes, but only with your feet

Quote Originally Posted by devoidapop View Post
    There's plenty if good reports on gutter spikes. Cheap/easy enough to replace if you bend one. Alot if people take them to a wire wheel ans dull the sharp point and remove some of the burrs around the nail. They should work very well. I like having a hole in my stakes though

Quote Originally Posted by fastfoxengineering View Post
    . . .2x MSR GroundHogs
    2x Ti V Stakes
    2x Carbon Fiber Stakes
    2x Ti Shepherds Hooks
    . . .
    You gotta add some gutter spikes to that collection! Also, maybe some mini-groundhogs? You know, fill out the quiver sorta speak.

Quote Originally Posted by devoidapop View Post
    Absolutely. I use them often. I like that they are straight and pound into the ground nicely. I love their holding power. I've only ever bent one when a buddy tripped over one that wasn't all the way into the round. . . pounded it straight with next nice rock anvil I found and still use it. The nail head is big enough to work just fine holding guy-lines. And, being big nails, they also work to make pilot holes in the ground for other stakes that don't take being pounded on as well, like any shepherd hook shaped ones. Finally, if you are using them car camping and have a claw hammer with you, you can pull them out of the ground nicely with the claw hammer.

As noted above, they do come pretty sharp, so taking a piece of sandpaper or a file to their tips to dull them a touch is helpful. I've never bothered smoothing the sides of them as the roughness just adds to the holding power.
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

I like the titanium shepards crook. Aluminum bends too easy in rocky ground. I order stuff directly from China all the time, mostly name brand bicycle parts usually less than half price, sometimes not in retail packaging. Only down side is long wait.

Compare carefully. First, Vargo a company that specializes in stakes, has two Ti nail stake offers the UL and reg versions. https://www.vargooutdoors.com/titani...l#.Wm6LmclOnqA I've had and used both. I believe Vargo uses 100 % Ti in these offerings. See the uniform color. The EBAY link offerings are a Ti alloy. See the reddish brown heat treatment(annealing?) of this offering. What's that about? Ti is a pricey metal. This and other factors contribute to the price difference.

This is common with copycat Chinese goods flooding world and especially European and N. American markets that rob other companies marketing goodwill, R&D, and perhaps established performance and quality standards while capitalizing on a cheap somtimes ill treated labor force.

However, I have no idea if any of this will apply to your intentions.

I haven't used the reg Vargo Ti nail stakes extensively but they are super solid and strong even when hitting rocks, roots, etc. The heavier reg Vargo Ti nail stakes are what I throw into the mix in the Cascades, Sierras, Winds, Glacier, etc when I don't want to be concerned with bending, fracturing, or blunting a tip of thinner stakes. The larger diam slightly longer length are better at holding.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    Compare carefully. First, Vargo a company that specializes in stakes, has two Ti nail stake offers the UL and reg versions. https://www.vargooutdoors.com/titani...l#.Wm6LmclOnqA I've had and used both. I believe Vargo uses 100 % Ti in these offerings. See the uniform color. The EBAY link offerings are a Ti alloy. See the reddish brown heat treatment(annealing?) of this offering. What's that about? Ti is a pricey metal. This and other factors contribute to the price difference.

This is common with copycat Chinese goods flooding world and especially European and N. American markets that rob other companies marketing goodwill, R&D, and perhaps established performance and quality standards while capitalizing on a cheap somtimes ill treated labor force.

However, I have no idea if any of this will apply to your intentions.

I haven't used the reg Vargo Ti nail stakes extensively but they are super solid and strong even when hitting rocks, roots, etc. The heavier reg Vargo Ti nail stakes are what I throw into the mix in the Cascades, Sierras, Winds, Glacier, etc when I don't want to be concerned with bending, fracturing, or blunting a tip of thinner stakes. The larger diam slightly longer length are better at holding.

http://www.supraalloys.com/titanium-grades.php

I ordered some from AliExpress. Brand To Ti. They specify grade 5 titanium.

I'll let you know when they get here in a few weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by fastfoxengineering View Post
    http://www.supraalloys.com/titanium-grades.php

I ordered some from AliExpress. Brand To Ti. They specify grade 5 titanium.

I'll let you know when they get here in a few weeks.

Thx for the info. I wonder what grade are the Vargo Ti nail pegs? If you provide that info you might be ready to join the other BPL gear wonk discussions. He he.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    Thx for the info. I wonder what grade are the Vargo Ti nail pegs? If you provide that info you might be ready to join the other BPL gear wonk discussions. He he.

I emailed them. No response yet

Warbonet outdoors has them as well as dutchweargear if anyone is still looking

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I can say with complete certainty they are even scout proof. If you are on the fence they are too cheap NOT to try.

++ New Posts ++