WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Journal Entries

Default Logistics after Katahdin

I'm hiking the final third of the AT this year from Pawling, NY to Katahdin. Once I summit Katahdin, what are the logistical choices from getting from Katahdin to the airport to fly back home to Florida? I've heard some fly out of Bangor, Maine, and some fly out of Boston. Also, what are the choices to get from Baxter State Park to the airport? Any info would be appreciated!

Try this thread to begin with. Its been asked numerous times in the past. Nothing really has changed except on what limited flight destinations may be offered in Bangor. https://whiteblaze.net/forum/showthr...light=katahdin

Talk to the AT lodge in Millinocket and they can set you right up on getting to the bus station in Medway or the airport in Bangor. If you want to go old school, the vast number of Baxter State Park guests are all heading south through Medway and Bangor and most are hiking and outdoors enthusiasts that will gladly give you ride in exchange for the company.

After summit Katahdin I caught a hitch to Millinocket (pretty easy hitch). Went to the AT Lodge in Millinocket and they helped with the logistics of a van ride to the bus station (really a gas station). Took bus to Bangor Maine where I boarded a plane back home. I did not purchase my plane ticket until I arrived in Millinocket while it cost little extra it allowed me to enjoy the last days of the hike not worrying about making a flight.

Starting in September the AT Lodge runs a daily shuttle (fee for non-guests) in the afternoon from Katahdin Stream Campground to Millinocket. They'll also shuttle you out to the Medway bus stop in the morning (one bus a day going south).
    Baxter and Katahdin info for NoBos, 2018 edition.
    Teej

"[ATers] represent three percent of our use and about twenty percent of our effort," retired Baxter Park Director Jensen Bissell.

A general comment about the "bus station" at Medway, its just a truckstop/gaspumps/with very a small convenience store without a lot of room inside. The bus riders (99% hikers) have to wait outside in the elements. During thru hiker season there is a line up of hikers sitting there waiting for the bus. It usually not a rowdy crowd, most of them have the look "now what do I do?"

Images

Only one bus per day leaves Medway, at 9:30 in the morning to Bangor, ME (arrives 10:50am): http://johntcyrandsons.com/daily-service/ Then Concord Coach bus (11am, 1pm, 3 pm) to Portland, ME or Boston, MA.

Journal Entries

Thank you all for the info.

++ New Posts ++