WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default ZPacks Duplex on the AT? Or something else???

Considering buying the ZPacks Duplex for my thru-hike. Just curious as to whether or not this tent would be good on the AT, since it's not free standing. I've also looked at the Big Agnes Fly Creek and am now considering the SMD Lunar Solo tent. Kind of want something general purpose though that might last me through my thru-hike and for a few more trips afterwards.

Thanks!

I can't answer your question directly, about through hike....
    but after much research and deliberation I ordered a duplex and it just came in the mail yesterday. I still haven't been able to set it up to check it out....

but after lifting the box....then holding just the tent, all I can say is WOW. Compared to my similar sized REI 2 man, the thing weighs NOTHING. Wow!!

It should be fine if you treat it with care. Lots of people use them on thrus, and many last for more than one thru hike. I love mine, and have used it extensively on the AT.

I have owned all three tents and still own the Duplex. I used the Fly Creek (the old version) for three years and it was OK, but the tent sits low and is kind of uncomfortable given the front door entry, small vestibule and the fact that it collects quilt a bit of moisture for a double wall tent (it needs a vent in the rear). I absolutely hated the Luna Solo. It was difficult to set up, does not have a real bathtub floor and was, overall, nasty. The Duplex is, IMHO, the best ultralight tent on the market. It has tons of room, two side entries and two large vestibules, all for around 20 ounces. I have not used it enough to attest to it’s durability ( I got the .51 version). The downsides are that it is not free standing and it’s bloody expensive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

As I mentioned, I just got my duplex, and just today Will Woods posts a vid with a preview of a new Zpacks design not yet released. Looked promising for a 1 man + option. Probably be a while before they sell it though is my guess.

Images

Been using non-free-standing tarptent style shelters on the AT for many years, including a Triplex and a Hexamid Twin from Zpacks. Never had a problem pitching one of them.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Quote Originally Posted by blw2 View Post
    As I mentioned, I just got my duplex, and just today Will Woods posts a vid with a preview of a new Zpacks design not yet released. Looked promising for a 1 man + option. Probably be a while before they sell it though is my guess.
    I saw that too, the tent looks pretty cool! I almost bought the Hexamid Solo Plus but couldn’t get over having the bug net sit under the bathtub floor. It looks like this is a redesign of this Hexamid, so I think they will bring it out pretty quick. With Will spilling the beans, they’re gonna get a lot of inquiries regarding availability.

Quote Originally Posted by Rex Clifton View Post
    I saw that too, the tent looks pretty cool! I almost bought the Hexamid Solo Plus but couldn’t get over having the bug net sit under the bathtub floor. It looks like this is a redesign of this Hexamid, so I think they will bring it out pretty quick. With Will spilling the beans, they’re gonna get a lot of inquiries regarding availability.

Yes it looks real nice. I wouldn't mind scoring one before hiking north in April.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

The duplex is a very popular tent on the trail.

Big Agnes is as well, and the fly creek is on a pretty great sale at REI right now.

It’s worth noting that it takes some practice to set up the duplex fast.

You should see do it a few times at home as well as a few shakedown hikes and you’ll be good to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks all, think I may take the plunge on the Duplex. I've heard mixed reviews about the Big Agnes Fly Creek, but only good things about the Duplex (with the exception of those who neglected it by sitting on it at camp/using it to cowboy camp on). Think it'll be well worth the money if it holds up for this thru hike and a while longer. Would another thru-hike, e.g. PCT, be a little too hopeful to squeeze out of it?

We saw plenty of Zpacks tents on our 500 mile Section last year.

YMMV

I just set up my new duplex in the back yard a few minutes ago. (just got it in the mail a couple days ago). I didn't get it perfect in 30 seconds but I didn't find it difficult to set up, although I did watch the set-up video a while back when considering it, and again a couple days ago.

Being used to pulling the corner stakes on a tent so that a tent floor in other tents is taught before pitching, I fumbled a bit at first on it. It seems a little more slack is needed here than I first understood, but otherwise it goes up fairly easily. I fumbled a lot more with some of the dome tents, trying to figure out which pole goes where....

For first impressions, I'm pleased with my purchase. When I think about the price I still cringe a bit, and honestly I'm a bit embarrassed to tell people how much I paid, but wow....the weight (or lack of it)...just wow.

I wouldn't call it a palace really. I've seen that written about it many times...a palace for one. Well I suppose it is, compared to a bivy or the 1 man tents that are near-bivy sized, but I'm used to using a 2 man for just me. Two in there, sure....but IMO they'd need to be family.

Think of it this way - for less than one month’s rent of a small apartment you own a home for six months.

And I think getting 2 thrus out of a cuben tent to be....maybe unlikely. I suppose as long as you’re gentle with it.

My cuben tarp is holding up fine but I never slept on it so it’s apples and oranges.

Quote Originally Posted by Shrewd View Post
    Think of it this way - for less than one month’s rent of a small apartment you own a home for six months.

And I think getting 2 thrus out of a cuben tent to be....maybe unlikely. I suppose as long as you’re gentle with it.

My cuben tarp is holding up fine but I never slept on it so it’s apples and oranges.

yeah, no I get that..... $ per day aint bad for a long distance hiker. I'm just a weekend warrior looking to do a week long section + some local stuff once in a while, so in my case it's very extravagant.

Regarding durability of the 0.51 cuben, I would have no concerns whatsoever. I've owned a Hexamid Twin (now discontinued) for five years and it is still fine but showing its age a bit after 150+ nights. It's a terrific shelter and the material is amazingly durable (don't let the thinness fool you). I have recently begun thinking about replacing the Twin and the Duplex is on the radar along with the Hexamid Solo Plus. My main concern regarding the Duplex is the space required to pitch the tent. It has a pretty large footprint. So you might have difficulty getting into small sites. Otherwise, it's obviously a terrific option. For me, I'm more tempted by the Solo Plus Hexamid given that it has a removable ground sheet that can be used in shelters or cowboy camping. I would buy a new Hex twin in a nanosecond if it was still offered but I'm having to choose between what's available.

Quote Originally Posted by Coffee View Post
    Regarding durability of the 0.51 cuben, I would have no concerns whatsoever. I've owned a Hexamid Twin (now discontinued) for five years and it is still fine but showing its age a bit after 150+ nights. It's a terrific shelter and the material is amazingly durable (don't let the thinness fool you). I have recently begun thinking about replacing the Twin and the Duplex is on the radar along with the Hexamid Solo Plus. My main concern regarding the Duplex is the space required to pitch the tent. It has a pretty large footprint. So you might have difficulty getting into small sites. Otherwise, it's obviously a terrific option. For me, I'm more tempted by the Solo Plus Hexamid given that it has a removable ground sheet that can be used in shelters or cowboy camping. I would buy a new Hex twin in a nanosecond if it was still offered but I'm having to choose between what's available.
    Will "RedBeard" wood just announced in his YouTube channel of a new hexamid design coming out very soon. He even shows it off. Looks slick.

Might be something your interested in.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Coffee View Post
    The Solo Plus Hexamid looked interesting, my biggest thing with that is that it doesn't have a bug net, weighs about as much as the duplex, and costs nearly the same. With these things considered, I'd prefer to have space for two people were I to need it

Quote Originally Posted by lukejmills View Post
    The Solo Plus Hexamid looked interesting, my biggest thing with that is that it doesn't have a bug net, weighs about as much as the duplex, and costs nearly the same. With these things considered, I'd prefer to have space for two people were I to need it
    I saw that video last night! It does look.interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by lukejmills View Post
    It does have full bug netting and you save maybe two ounces vs the duplex. The main advantage is the removable groundsheet. That's been great in my twin.

ZP Duplex has a rather expansive foot print after its guyed out. Mention this as it can be a factor since you said you want something to use other than the AT.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++