WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Foot print for BA Flycreek

I bought my daughter a flycreek2 and was wondering who has uses the footprint with this tent or not.

I have the dedicated one from BA (since it was on sale) and have used it with the tent. Works fine, but I think I'd prefer a Tyvek or 1.5mil Polycryo footprint just because you can beat it up and it's cheaply/easily replaced. You need the dedicated footprint for the fast fly set-up (fly & footprint with no inner tent), but I don't see the purpose of that set-up.

All that said, I don't use my FC anymore and have become a floorless mid convert.

Have a Fly Creek1 and always use the original BA footprint with it.
    The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
    Richard Ewell, CSA General

You can fastpack without the footprint if you rig up some string between the poles. Google.

Images

I used a BA fly creek for half an AT, but before that maybe 50 nights in Colorado and Utah. Never, ever used any sort of footprint on any of my tents, never ever had any problems, like holes in floors. Footprints are just plain not needed. If you MUST carry one, get a sheet of polycryo, cut it slightly smaller than the bottom of your tent and use that. Way lighter and dirt cheap.

I’m not a footprint guy, but it’s worth mentioning that when you use the footprint you can set up the rain fly without the tent, or, the fly first then clip in the tent from under the fly - maybe keeping your stuff dry

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have both a FlyCreek UL HV 2 and a Copper Spur. Incidentally, I have the footprints for both since I found both footprints in REI garage sales for, I think, $5 each. Over the 4 years I've had either one or both tents, I have never even tried either of the footprints. They just sit and take up space in my gear room. I have other tents that I use when traveling by car and I do put tarps under the tent floors to prolong their lives when car camping.

I haven't found a use for footprints when backpacking. Tents go up fast enough, I don't see a significant advantage to pitching the fly first to keep the tent inner drier. If I want to save weight by not taking the tent inner, I'll save even more weight by not taking the tent fly or poles and just use a flat tarp - which is what I used most of the time anyway. And, as for longevity of my tent floor, well, nothing lasts forever, and, holes are really quite easy to fix if you ever get any that are a problem.
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

GAME 06

I have one with a footprint.

I usually don't take the tent and just carry the footprint and the fly. Works great.

I bought the whole tent setup because Big Agnes would not sell me just the fly, poles and footprint. I never wanted the tent anyway.

Setup is so slick. I stopped using my Zpacks tent and went to this setup because it actually is really fast to set up and it has huge room over the zpack which is more like a bivy sack.

I like Alldownhill's idea above also but I would take the footprint because I use an air mattress and want to protect it from puncture.

IF Big Agnes would make a tent of the following style they would eat the market up. Make a one person fast fly setup about 25 percent larger than their 1 man design, use a pole design which matches the one on their 4 man tent, an appropriate footprint, and a fly which has netting sewed around the edges about 12 inchs wide (to tuck under the footprint). They would have a perfect tent. Huge room, stable, almost instant setup, bug proof and it would weigh just about 5 oz more than a Zpack tent and beat it to death for performance. One could even sew a bathtub edge onto the footprint with light attachments to the fly and keep flowing water out.

I use the footprint mostly because I'm anal enough to want to keep my tent bottom dirt and stain free...I'm not a weight weenie and the weight means almost nothing to me. It also has value as a place to put down gear instead on the dirt when not used as a footprint and I've also used it to shower over so I didnt have to deal with getting muddy feet.

All of these functions can be duplicated with Tyvek and by purchasing a grommet kit, even the fast pitch function... and without a deal for the footprint, the Tyvek solution is MUCH cheaper. One other thing about Tyvek, one can get an oversized piece and then install grommets for fast pitch function AND have a vestibule floor(s), even add a couple grommets in the middle sides and its an easy pitch tarp.

A couple times I've had to pitch my Copper Spur on a site where during rain there were rivers of run off and my solution to keeping mud from going over the footprint was to prop up the uphill edge with sticks so the mud had to go under/around the foot print...an over sized Tyvek footprint could deal with that more easily, especially if one has a few extra tent stakes.

++ New Posts ++