Quote Originally Posted by TX Aggie View Post
How do you like the SPOT? I’ve been debating between it and the InReach. I don’t really NEED a full featured device like the InReach, but when you add in the subscription and how you can pause Garmin’s subscription plus the ability to send custom messages, the Garmin seems like such a better value.
I've like it for the three or four years that I've had it. If the hardware failed, I'd not rule out another SPOT, but I'd also take a look at the latest Inreach devices from Garmin. I don't care about texting, but like the confirmation of messages being sent. I don't care all that much about custom messages - the SPOT allow you to set up a couple of canned messages and that's been good enough for me. I've never sent an SOS on my SPOT, but the various status messages and tracking have worked flawlessly. It would really come down to the price of the service plans. Re: the stop and start plans - On the Inreach plan I looked at, the monthly fee for the start and stop was 40% higher than for the annual plans, so do your math and see where the break even point is.