WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Journeyman Journeyer
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Seatbelt View Post
    Well it sounds like you can now go after her if you want since she's no longer protected.
    I wouldn't assume it was a "her". Hard to tell now days. You have to roll them onto their backs to check.

Quote Originally Posted by grubbster View Post
    I wouldn't assume it was a "her". Hard to tell now days. You have to roll them onto their backs to check.
    Sad but true

Quote Originally Posted by SoaknWet View Post
    I have a cougar that lives three doors down from me here in the east and I'm the first to admit she makes me nervous when she stares at me cutting grass in the summer. I've taken to wearing long pants for my safety!
    C’mon. Admit it. You like the attention.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Seatbelt View Post
    Well it sounds like you can now go after her if you want since she's no longer protected.
    Hold on thar, don’t do it! “Hell hath no fury like a cougar scorn”

The article says there have been sightings of western cougars but no eastern cougar sightings since 1938. How do they know a western cougar from an eastern one without DNA testing? Are they really that different? I think this designation is really more about reintroducing cougars from the west than anything else.

In Missouri they thought the black bear was extirpated until they started studying black bears they thought had come up from Arkansas and with DNA testing they realized that there was a remnant population of bears from Missouri.

By the accent, the western cats have a draw in their growl!

Quote Originally Posted by Bronk View Post
    The article says there have been sightings of western cougars but no eastern cougar sightings since 1938. How do they know a western cougar from an eastern one without DNA testing? Are they really that different? I think this designation is really more about reintroducing cougars from the west than anything else.

In Missouri they thought the black bear was extirpated until they started studying black bears they thought had come up from Arkansas and with DNA testing they realized that there was a remnant population of bears from Missouri.
    After the last known one was killed in 1938 there were no confirmed sightings until recent years. It took a long time for any western cougars to move east, and DNA testing was available when they did.

I am very familiar with the.size and looks of a cougar and in 1990 I saw one on the A.T. when I was coming into Waynesboro. It was walking up the trail in front of of me. No one in town believed me and a half hour later another hiker came into town and had a picture of it. They are out there. Bobcats don't have 3 foot long tales.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++