WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Experience with backcountry reservations during Firefly season?

My wife and I have the synchronous firefly show on our list this year, and I'm wondering how quickly reservations fill up during the peak period. Do any of you have previous experience reserving sites like 20, 21, 24, or 30 during peak demand? Thanks in advance for any insight or advice.

GSMNP is the most visited park in the country. MY strategy has always been that I am sitting at my computer for when the dates I want to go become available. I believe that is 30 days out from trip. During peak times, you may find it difficult to be the fastest clicker. Most all of my experience is with backcountry permits, not the campgrounds. Your research may vary due to front vs backcountry.
    Last edited by Gambit McCrae; 01-22-2018 at 13:33. Reason: Corrected Days out to 30 from 60
    Trail Miles: 4,980.5
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 47.9
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Images

I believe that is 60 days out from trip

its 30 days out....

and yes----these sites will go fast during firefly season...

As TNhiker said, it is 30 days before the start of your trip. You can reserve up to 7 nights. ($4 per person per day, max cost is $20 per person).

Last year they ran the shuttle from May 30 - June 6. Keep an eye out on the GSMNP website for when they publish when they will be running the shuttle this year, but assuming last years dates you could make reservations for a trip on April 27th for a trip from May 27th - June 3. (or something like that) This would give you a few days in the park before the published dates to see any of the early firefly action. And it would allow you to get your reservations ahead of when everybody else tries to book theirs.

Also, remember that backcountry sites have different capacities, so it may be easier to get reservations for sites with higher capacities. Of the ones you listed, 24 has the highest capacity (15 hikers, no horses) while the others allow for 12 reservations (some allow horses).

I have not seen the synchronous fireflies, but I have read some accounts from others that indicate they have seen them elsewhere in the park than just that area. Apparently they are prevalent there, but you may see them elsewhere too.

My favorite account I read was from someone who knew nothing about the synchronous fireflies and just happened to plan a trip during that time. He awoke in the night with flashing lights all around his tent and thought it was aliens or something.

Good luck with your planning and mad internet clicking.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Something to keep in mind... even if you get a reservation, sites like 24 tend to frequently close due to bear activity... and Firefly season is immediately after Memorial Day Weekend.
    Quote Originally Posted by madgoat View Post
    I have not seen the synchronous fireflies, but I have read some accounts from others that indicate they have seen them elsewhere in the park than just that area. Apparently they are prevalent there, but you may see them elsewhere too.
    My favorite account I read was from someone who knew nothing about the synchronous fireflies and just happened to plan a trip during that time. He awoke in the night with flashing lights all around his tent and thought it was aliens or something.
    Several years ago, I had a planned camping trip for Memorial Day Weekend and was so disappointed to learn that it wasn't until the following week that the synchronous fireflies were expected in Elkmont.

So I was extremely surprised to encounter synchronous fireflies that weekend at campsite #53... especially since it's no where near Elkmont, and at a higher elevation.
    Unfortunately you can't predict when these buggers will come out, because the 2nd time I camped at #53 on a Memorial Day Weekend, I didn't say any fireflies.

I've also learned that there are different types of fireflies. I believe it was campsite #69 where we experienced three different species of fireflies... One species didn't blink, instead they seemed to have a steady glow. I don't recall the exact nature of the other two, but I think one was randomly flashing one time, while another group would randomly flash several times.

some have a blueish glow rather than yellow-green.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Ashepabst View Post
    some have a blueish glow rather than yellow-green.
    I think that was the case for the ones I encountered that glowed continuously rather than flashing.

Images

I have not seen the synchronous fireflies, but I have read some accounts from others that indicate they have seen them elsewhere in the park than just that area

yeah..............ive seen them at a few other backcountry sites in the Park.....

like 64 and some along deep creek trail.....

The blue ones that stay lit continuously are called ghost fireflies. I saw them for the first time last year along the Little River Trail a week or so after the synchronous fireflies finished for the year. At times, it looked like hundreds of invisible forest creatures were walking down the trail with tiny dim blue lanterns... really neat!

Hope you get a chance to observe the fireflies. My husband and I saw them at Campsite #113 on June 8, 2016. Like viewing a total solar eclipse, they are "other worldly."

Thanks everyone for the tips.
    If it's as interesting as the eclipse was, I'm looking forward to it.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Ardency View Post
    Hope you get a chance to observe the fireflies. My husband and I saw them at Campsite #113 on June 8, 2016. Like viewing a total solar eclipse, they are "other worldly."

thats an odd place to see them, with it being in the higher elevation and not along a creek......

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by TNhiker View Post
    thats an odd place to see them, with it being in the higher elevation and not along a creek......
    There is a spring at the campsite (so the area isn't exactly 'dry'), and the elevation is only about 600-700 higher than #53 where I saw synchronous fireflies.

++ New Posts ++