WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Getting to Georgia

Hey all, I live in New Jersey and am looking for ideas to get to Amicalola Falls in March to start my Thru Hike. I was looking at the Greyhound bus. Does anyone have experience using the bus for cross country? It'll cost $54 which isn't bad but it'll take 20hrs to get to Atlanta. Any tips or things to know when using them? Is there another good bus company to use? When getting to Georgia how are thru hikers getting to the Falls? I guess there will be a bunch there to hitch a ride with others?

I also looked to rent a car and drive myself but it is too expensive ($412). I guess they add a big charge with it being one way to a different state.
    Anyone have any other traveling tips, ideas, suggestions? Thanks... Much appreciate it.

You could take the train to Atlanta (One-way from Cherry Hill looks like about $145, still a 17-18 hour trip, but more comfortable than a bus by any measure.)

Once you're in Atlanta there are several shuttle options, including from the end of the MARTA line.

i took Amtrak from NYC to Gainesville 10 years in a row. great way to get to the trail

Quote Originally Posted by KCNC View Post
    You could take the train to Atlanta (One-way from Cherry Hill looks like about $145, still a 17-18 hour trip, but more comfortable than a bus by any measure.)

Once you're in Atlanta there are several shuttle options, including from the end of the MARTA line.
    it stops in Gainesville. much closer to Amicalola

Quote Originally Posted by KCNC View Post

Amtrak is much more comfortable than any bus, even in coach. I recently took an Amtrak in the sleeper compartment for the first time. Very nice. But the trains are apparently chronically late and unreliable. I would check into airfares to Atlanta. Often airfares are cheaper than the train and obviously much faster and more reliable. Ship items that cannot be carried on board ahead possibly to a hostel that you stay at prior to starting the trail. good luck.

DO NOT TAKE THE BUS. I took it from Providence, RI. It's a 24 hour ride, so subtract a few for you. But it's horrible. Multiple changes, one where they almost didn't move my bag over. Smelly people leaning on you, cramped conditions. DO NOT TAKE THE BUS.

What items are not allowed as far as backpacking and can you keep the backpack on the train?

I show one way flights from Newark at 200 bucks. That's a lot more convenient than spending a day on the bus.

The train is probably the way I will go next year for my thru. Why, I will be 70 and have never been on a train.

Mega Bus is cheaper, very often faster, more efficient, and more on time without all the usual GHound drama. I've traveled between Ocean and Monmouth Counties and NY NY locations and Atlanta on buses too often to start relating issues. Mega Bus is better!

I know their is a MB pick up in Secaucus but it may not be a straight shot to Atlanta. You'd likely have to transfer in Washington DC.

For a few decades family used to be the caretakers of Hoboken Cemetery on Tonnelle Ave living in that mansion by the front gate. Grandmother lived in Westside High Rise Apts on Granton Ave above the cemetery for more than 20 yrs.

After a quick look MB is as cheap as $15 with an average price of $25. Still is about 20 hrs on a bus though. It(MB) lets you off at the MARTA Civic Center Train Station(cleaner and safer than many northeastern NJ/NY train stations). From there you have two choices: 1) From the Civic Center Station take the Red Line north to North Springs MARTA Station(safe/clean) arranging a shuttle pick up to Amicalola via someone like the Hiker Hostel in Dahlonega 2) From the Civic Center Station take the MARTA Red Line south a few stations to Garnett Station where the GHound Station is located. I advise not wandering around here at night with a backpack. Walk right below this station to the GHound and take a bus to Gainesville GA. The Ghound fare is about $15.

Probably the most direct route is the Amtrak from one of the nearby stations in NJ or NY to Gainesville GA. So guess it depends at least in part on how much you want to spend $ on public transportation with the least amount of potential transfer hassles, traveling time, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by methodman View Post
    What items are not allowed as far as backpacking and can you keep the backpack on the train?
    I don't know for sure what Amtrak's legal allowable statements entail but I've never been stopped on Amtrak for anything from a iso can, small Swiss pocket knife, trekking poles, etc. I travel light with my UL packs and don't attract attention by having anything hanging off the outside of the packs or advertise anything.

No restrictions. I load my pack ready for the trail. If you pass the random bomb sniffing dog test at the terminal, your good to go. You can bring your own food and drink too (beer, wine) but they won't let you use the microwave in the café car so your limited to cold food. I usually just go with bagels and cream cheese. Dinner can be worth the $30.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

is there a size restriction on the pack you take on board and how anal are they about sticking exactly to the size? [on a train]

is there a size restriction on the pack you take on board and how anal are they about sticking exactly to the size? [on a train]
    no and no. reserve a single sleeper. you'll love it

You are really making me look forward to the beginning of my thru hike. Getting there and getting home from Maine are big worries for me. [not so much on getting there now, Thank you. ]

Sleeper is awesome for overnight, can be expensive but consider it like a hotel stay. Train in general is very relaxed way to go. No fussing with getting through security, wifi available.

Megabus isn't bad, I like their buses. A few bucks extra and you can pick a seat. They have a few seats which have a table in the center of four seats. I also like the upstairs first row. Nice views.

Greyhound has too many stops.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    Good to know - I knew Atlanta would work, but wasn't sure about alternatives.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++