WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Quote Originally Posted by Hess86NJ View Post
    So I bought my Amtrak ticket on Feb. 4th from Newark, NJ to Gainesville, GA. First time ever riding Amtrak. Thanks everyone for answering all my questions. The service doesn't have checked baggage so it has to be a carry on. I will definitely be bringing some food on the train as it leaves at 2:37pm.
    I arrive on March 20.... I just have to figure out about getting from the train station to Amicalola Falls.
    From taking a look around there are at least 8 different taxi companies in the Gainesville area. I'll going to be calling the front desk at the motel in a day or so and asking for a recommendation.

You going straight up to Amicalola off the train or do you have a spot in Gainesville?
    BR360
    "no one is a thru-hiker, until they have done the whole AT."

Journal Entries

The ATC website has a list of shuttle providers for pretty much the entire trail. I'll be starting in mid April and taking Amtrak from Trenton. Have a great hike. Maybe our paths will cross at some point.

Thanks for the info Worn Out.

I realized just after i posted the response to Hess86NJ that we will be on the same train. I'm boarding in NYC and he's at the next stop in Newark.

Yo Hess, i'll be happy to split a shuttle cost on the 21st. Nice and early as it would be nice to be at Amicalola as 1-i'd like to be there when they open up for the day and, 2- i'm going to be quite the slow poke on the trail.
    BR360
    "no one is a thru-hiker, until they have done the whole AT."

Quote Originally Posted by El JP View Post
    I can't believe i didn't notice your North Bergen location before. I'm right next door to you in Union City.
    I realized just after i posted the response to Hess86NJ that we will be on the same train. I'm boarding in NYC and he's at the next stop in Newark.
    Yo Hess, i'll be happy to split a shuttle cost on the 21st. Nice and early as it would be nice to be at Amicalola as 1-i'd like to be there when they open up for the day and, 2- i'm going to be quite the slow poke on the trail.
    Hey El JP, that is awesome that you live in Union City. When are you leaving to get on the train? When do you plan on starting?

I'm leaving from Penn Station in the City on the 19th -2:15 train. Got an easy shot as I take the light rail to the PATH.

I have a motel room booked for the 20th and hope to be at Amicalola as early as possible on the 21st as I intend to ease on up the approach trail.

one year i drove my truck from Nebraska to Dahlonega GA.
    sold my truck at a Liquor store, had the guy give me a ride to the Amicalola State Park visitor center :-)

parked my car in Miss Janets back yard a different year, made it easier to get home after the thru-hike

the longest bus ride i ever took was only 250 miles a long time ago, it sucked!
    i rode a train from Lincoln NE. to Salt Lake City once & it was so much more enjoyable.
    you can move around a little,stretch the legs.
    take the TRAIN! & have a Great Hike...
    Last edited by CrumbSnatcher; 02-22-2018 at 22:43.

I'm leaving from Penn Station in the City on the 19th -2:15 train. Got an easy shot as I take the light rail to the PATH.
    I have a motel room booked for the 20th and hope to be at Amicalola as early as possible on the 21st as I intend to ease on up the approach trail.
    O Wow, yea we're on the same train. I'll be getting onto the train at Newark which departs at 2:37. Currently my plan is to arrive at Gainesville on the 20 and hitch a ride to the Amicalola. Stay over night in one of the shelters located at the falls and start the thru on the 21st. My first day I only plan on hiking the approach trail then stay at the Springer shelter for the night.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
++ New Posts ++