WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Alligator View Post
    Sleeper is awesome for overnight, can be expensive but consider it like a hotel stay. Train in general is very relaxed way to go. No fussing with getting through security, wifi available.
    Sleepers can cost an insane amount of money if you book last minute. Like $600 or more. If you want a sleeper, lock one in at least 2 months ahead to get an affordable price (it does come with diner and breakfast included). Two weeks out min for a seat in coach.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by methodman View Post
    You are really making me look forward to the beginning of my thru hike. Getting there and getting home from Maine are big worries for me. [not so much on getting there now, Thank you. ]
    Before you get too excited, you'd better look at the schedules and stops. Getting on at Richmond which it think is the closest to you, they make you go to DC first, with a 5 hour layover. Or they can put you on a bus to Charlottesville, which is actually faster and less expensive.

Unless, for some damn good reason I needed to go into Atlanta, I would avoid the city if taking a Ghound bus. If I was again taking Ghound form the north/northeast I would find a comparable duration itinerary with 1 transfer with Gainesville GA as my destination. Going from NJ to Gainesville GA as your final destination takes you right past Gville too far further south to Atlanta. Gville Ghound is about 70 miles north of Atlanta. Now, if flying that's a different story.

Newark NJ to Gainesville GA is a 20 hr trip with 1 transfer. Schedule 1017. $54 It avoids Atlanta. Don't go into Atlanta on a bus unless you have to.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    Unless, for some damn good reason I needed to go into Atlanta, I would avoid the city if taking a Ghound bus. If I was again taking Ghound form the north/northeast I would find a comparable duration itinerary with 1 transfer with Gainesville GA as my destination. Going from NJ to Gainesville GA as your final destination takes you right past Gville too far further south to Atlanta if you book to Atlanta as a an intermediary destination. *Then, once in Atlanta you have to travel back north where you just past acouple hrs previously. Gville Ghound is about 70 miles north of Atlanta. Now, if flying that's a different story.

???????????

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    ???????????
    A grey hound trip from Concord NH sounds miserable and $$$ when looking at itineraries.

My best bet seems to be flying or ride share.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

I recently booked my plane ticket to Atlanta. I could have saved $90 by going with Republic instead of American, but the Republic trip would have taken 9 hours longer (2 plane changes). I'd rather pay the extra money and arrive ready to hike instead of exhausted.

Default Getting to Georgia

Quote Originally Posted by AllDownhillFromHere View Post
    DO NOT TAKE THE BUS. I took it from Providence, RI. It's a 24 hour ride, so subtract a few for you. But it's horrible. Multiple changes, one where they almost didn't move my bag over. Smelly people leaning on you, cramped conditions. DO NOT TAKE THE BUS.
    I concur on this. At the end of the journey on a bus, you’ll need a good night’s sleep before starting your hike.

I rode 18 hours from Sandusky Ohio to Marion Virginia through the night with several long layovers. Not fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by Deacon; 01-21-2018 at 09:06.

Images

Plenty of flights from Newark to Atlanta on SW airlines, no baggage fees, no change fees, for $106 in mid-march, mid week.

Book a flight on SW air, take Marta (in Atlanta) to north Atlanta, get a shuttle ride to Amicaloa, easy peasy.

https://www.southwest.com/flight/sel...newReturnDate=

Images

You've gotten some good advice on how to get to Georgia. I'll add that there are several restrictions on what you can take on a plane, both checked and carryon (no fuel at all, for example, and TSA agents might confiscate even an empty stove.) I've really enjoyed Amtrak....

Quote Originally Posted by Hess86NJ View Post
    When getting to Georgia how are thru hikers getting to the Falls? I guess there will be a bunch there to hitch a ride with others?
    Getting from Atlanta or even Gainesville, which is much closer, is not this easy. There won't be a bunch of you, and it's extremely unlikely you'll be able to hitch to Amicalola Falls State Park. From Gainesville you could take a taxi. From either place you could arrange a shuttle from one of the local providers. Neither is cheap. You may be able to arrange to share the cost of a shuttle with another hiker -- even some of the shuttle providers can help set this up.

Hope you have a great hike.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Images

I've flown all over the USA and world dozens of times with my full set of backpack gear. Please don't let silly fear of TSA stop you from flying. Figure this simple thing out. There's an REI near the northern MARTA stop in Atlanta to buy your fuel, you can even ship your stove and other things there if you fear checking your stove on the plane.

As I already said, I've flown dozens of times with various stoves, never, ever any problem. I separate the little burner section from the rest of the stove, triple-wrap it in zip locks, and just put it in my checked bag away from the rest of the stove. Make sure it's clean so as not to have any soot-smell. Absolute worst case, which will not happen, is you have to replace it in Atlanta at the REI.

Some folks ship their entire packs ahead so as to avoid any (unnecessary) nervousness when flying with backpacks. Works for them. Would work for you too. But really, just plain checking your backpack works. When I first flew with a backpack, I was a bit nervous and used a cheap throw-away duffle to carry everthing. Once I use a large box. Then I started using that shrink-wrap plastic and wrapped my pack before checking. Now, finally, I just clip the waist-belt and sternum straps around the back of the pack. Here's a pic of my ULA OHM pack after pick up from baggage claim after returning from a Long Trail E2E.

I am extremely conservative by nature, so even after a couple of decades of flying with a backpack, I STILL carryon (in a throw away grocery sack) my initial hiking food, expensive tent, expensive sleeping bag and rain jacket. And of course just wear my hiking clothes and shoes.

It's so easy, but than again, I understand the nervousness of those who have never flown with a checked backpack.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Images

One more huge advantage of flying on airlines such as SW air is that you can change your reservation for "free". I put "free" in quotes because many times there would be a fare change for your changed flight. But unlike most airlines that chage $50, $100 or even $150 (or more?) extra fee, SW has no fee.

Case in point, just recently: we had booked Denver---> Atlanta for April 1st this year to do another AT section (Hot Springs north). We changed our minds (to avoid the crowds) and decided to do Daleville (about mile 724 on the AT) north to wherever we get in three weeks, starting about a week later. No problem! Cancel the initial flights, the proceeds go into your account, re-book the new flight using these proceeds, and voila. Turns out our re-booked flight were slightly more expensive ($108->$136), no problem, you pay the difference.

So easy and CHEAP to fly these days.

Quote Originally Posted by methodman View Post
    What items are not allowed as far as backpacking and can you keep the backpack on the train?
    No restrictions as far as I know. I've always kept my backpack with me and no one checks it.

Free changes on Southwest have saved me hundreds of dollars over the years. I usually book a return on southwest after a backpacking trip based on my best guess and change it if needed, usually paying a higher fare but no dreadful change fee. I just paid a $300 change fee on United for an international flight. I fly only SW in the U.S.

Lots of good suggestions here. I would add, check with a shuttle driver to find out about cost and times from a couple of different locations. If you fly to Atlanta, you'll probably take the Marta rail to North Springs station. Find out how much to Amicalola and what times. If you take the train or the bus, you'll probably go to Gainesville. The train and the bus station aren't far apart. Find out how much to Amicalola and what times.

In Atlanta, the North Springs Marta station is within walking distance of an REI. There is a local outdoor shop and a Walmart on the hwy to Amicalola. That can help with things you can pack in a checked bag.

There are lots of good shuttlers, check with them for options.

Quote Originally Posted by DownEaster View Post
    I recently booked my plane ticket to Atlanta. I could have saved $90 by going with Republic instead of American, but the Republic trip would have taken 9 hours longer (2 plane changes). I'd rather pay the extra money and arrive ready to hike instead of exhausted.
    You're paying yourself $10 an hour to go through less hassle.

Perfectly reasonable tradeoff in my opinion!

With the number of hikers showing up everyday on the same train/bus/plane, I would expect the shuttles to be cramming as many people as possible into the car/van/bus as they can. If 30-50 people a day are showing up and with only a limited number of shuttle drivers and it taking 4-5 hours for a round trip from MARTA, I can't see them doing it 50 times a day to shuttle one person at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by fastfoxengineering View Post
    A grey hound trip from Concord NH sounds miserable and $$$ when looking at itineraries.

My best bet seems to be flying or ride share.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
    Depends on the person. Although I'm frugal and can take hiking grundge I don't like the grunge of especially Ghound (cramped dirty seats, bathrooms, many stations, where they tend to stop for eats, some of the riders, the way baggage is handled, etc). So much drama. I'd not want to take any bus from NH to GA. I'd get a cheap flight. Mail stuff ahead if you pack heavy. Travel light and compact. If you must take the bus from that state I strongly advise you take a day to regroup in GA before starting the thru-hike. And, that usually involves more money which can be similar in total costs as a flight and Ghound from Atlanta to Gville.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    With the number of hikers showing up everyday on the same train/bus/plane, I would expect the shuttles to be cramming as many people as possible into the car/van/bus as they can. If 30-50 people a day are showing up and with only a limited number of shuttle drivers and it taking 4-5 hours for a round trip from MARTA, I can't see them doing it 50 times a day to shuttle one person at a time.
    That's why those tightwads like myself considering a shuttle from Atlanta to Dahlonega, Gville, AF SP, or Springer should ask first about what days and times are most convenient for ride sharing to cut shuttle costs. Then, factor that into bus, flight, and maybe train schedules.

One of the positives of flying into Atlanta's International AP is that it is a major hub the busiest AP in the world which equates with many lower priced fares from other major cities.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Yeah sooner is always better for the train. It's similar to airfare tickets. Within 14 days and you are likely to pay through the nose. Train fare seems to just steadily climb though whereas airfare seems to drop some around 3 months or closer vs. 3+ months. Then some fluctuations but as the date gets closer the cheap fares disappear. Somewhere in the 7-14 day mark though those airfares switch to steep and you're screwed.

A sleeper works out a little more reasonably with 2 people too. A sleeper from Newark Penn is $184 for multiple dates in March and that's the same for May so I don't think that's gone up yet. That's on top of the ticket which is $152 or so. AAA gets you a 10% discount.

Train from Newark is an overnight. Lot more seat space on a train though so sleeping isn't as horrible. Sleeper is so nice though and yeah they feed you too!
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++