WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default Trail running with snow

Anyone have some experience running with low profile crampons like the Kahtoola NANOspikes or the Hillsound Ultras? I'd like some extra traction for running in light snow, packed snow, or patchy ice. Currently running in Brooks Calderas and they seem to slip a little. I've already tweaked my ankle once and would like to avoid anything else.

My daughter and son's running club frequently install screws in the members' running shoes since they run outside in the hills of the state park. I do not have the details of what they do; however, this video appears to cover what I have heard they do.

Purchased a set of Microspikes recently (similar to Kathoola, but EU make) and while I love them for some icy conditions here while hiking, I would not trust them to stay put on the shoes and last long time for running.
    When running you'r applying a forward thrust to the foot/shoe with every step, so the microspikes tend to slip step by step until they hang in the limits of the elastic straps - and the spikes itself soon are off from the exact spot on the soles where you'd love to have them for traction and stability.

Really like the idea of the screws like shown in the video above. Using this simple trick you can even give a pair of trailrunners with near-wornout profile a second life.

Images

Weyn crampons on Amazon are a good deal. My girlfriend bought a pair and she loves them.

Quote Originally Posted by Leo L. View Post
    Purchased a set of Microspikes recently (similar to Kathoola, but EU make) and while I love them for some icy conditions here while hiking, I would not trust them to stay put on the shoes and last long time for running.
    When running you'r applying a forward thrust to the foot/shoe with every step, so the microspikes tend to slip step by step until they hang in the limits of the elastic straps - and the spikes itself soon are off from the exact spot on the soles where you'd love to have them for traction and stability.

Really like the idea of the screws like shown in the video above. Using this simple trick you can even give a pair of trailrunners with near-wornout profile a second life.
    With microspikes you have to make sure that the rubber (stretchy silicone) has a tight fit to the shoe. If they're not difficult to put on the shoe they're probably too large and will slide around. I have some that are properly sized for my Brooks Cascadias (US 12, EU 47) and they remain firmly in place all day long no matter the terrain, walking or running.

Might also depend on the type of shoes I have. The light hiking boots I'm using most often have dedicated heels and the hind part of the microspikes, after some hard uphills, maybe pulled forward by repeated the push I'm applying to the foot, tend to slip off the heel into the gap where the spikes are useless.
    There might be better products than the one I have, or products that fit the specific shoe better.

Still when running I would love to have a very repeatable point-of-contact between feet and ice provided by the spikes, whatever else might happen.
    For hiking, I can manage with my not-so-perfect spikes easily, as I have more time for the footing.

If you can find a running shoe that works for you that uses Vibram's new Arctic Grip rubber soles, you might get by well without any other traction devices. There are just a handful of companies that have access to the new technology, but it works amazingly well, nothing like spikes, more like sandpaper, but really amazing and maybe worth a serious look.
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

Thanks for pointing out Vibram.
    Interesting product seems to be their Portable Performance Sole, might be the perfect solution for the original poster.

Quote Originally Posted by shelb View Post
    My daughter and son's running club frequently install screws in the members' running shoes since they run outside in the hills of the state park. I do not have the details of what they do; however, this video appears to cover what I have heard they do.
    Good vid. He didn't use too long of a self tapping hex screw and put them in along the edge. Use too long a screw and you can feel them while running, destroy WPness or have wet feet. Not that I've ever made that error. He he

Running stores and outfitters like REI sell the screws with a short Tbar socket wrench.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Leo L. View Post
    Thanks for pointing out Vibram.
    Interesting product seems to be their Portable Performance Sole, might be the perfect solution for the original poster.
    Interesting, but they look flimsy. That cord connecting the front and back doesn't look sturdy enough.
    Quote Originally Posted by nsherry61 View Post
    If you can find a running shoe that works for you that uses Vibram's new Arctic Grip rubber soles, you might get by well without any other traction devices. There are just a handful of companies that have access to the new technology, but it works amazingly well, nothing like spikes, more like sandpaper, but really amazing and maybe worth a serious look.
    Yeah, I looked a pair of Hoka Speedgoat 2s. They have some sort of special Vibram soles and a much more aggressive tread. That's an expensive solution though.

Went for a run today and it was slippery but very manageable. I'll probably suck it up. If it gets worse, I have an old pair of trail runners that will get some metal accessories.

++ New Posts ++