WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Modular sleeping pad set up

After hiking thousands of miles with trusty ridge-rests, I feel like I would like up to update my system. I'm thinking about cutting down my old Z-rest and investing in a torso or small length pad for my upper half. This would provide me with various ways to set up and have a sit pad while providing full coverage at night. Has anyone gone this route? I fear that the 2x pads might shift around on me at night, but hope a little overhang might solve that issue..

In looking at pad I notice that smalls are often not much cheaper than full length .. I won't need anything thicker than 2 inches but would like some insulation. Has anyone found small length 'budget' air pads not made from the big manufacturers?

Cheers,
    Catnap
    CatNap
    GA-ME

Look at the Klymit brand. Less than the Xtherm line, with a reduced insulation R value.
    REI House Brand and/or REI Garage online.
    Wayne

I love my Klymit Static V insulate lite pad. Kept me warm into the 20s in Wyoming's Wind River Range with just a quilt. Highly recommended.

I tried the 3/4 length air pads and found them uncomfortable when my legs hang off the end. I can attest to the fact that a lower pad moves and pretty much sucks. I have a cut down 3/4 length CCF pad for my dogs that I have as a back up for going to ground if I take my hammock...just enough to keep me insulated from the ground.

Journeyman Journeyer
    Images

If your worried about the pads moving around you can always put the smaller piece inside the bottom of your bag or quilt.

I'm not really a winter camper but I using Glossamer Gear 1/8" Evazote pad (~4oz) underneath my NeoAir Xlite 3/4 if under freezing temps - they both feel a bit sticky so no sliding around. I understand CCF on top of air is warmer, but prefer the added puncture protection when ground insulation is so important. I like stuffing my empty backpack with clothing for the 1/4 foot pad part - I like sleeping with all my gear inside and that helps with storage space. My pillow (Klymit Cush) doubles as a good ground sitting pad folded in a V, and I've even spent a night on it as an emergency torso ground pad (side and back sleeping), although it's a broken sleep when you roll off every now and then. A 3 component modular system with multiple backup/tasking options for 15oz.

You might try attaching Velcro strips to the two pads.

Attach a sticky hook Velcro patch to the top of one pad and the bottom of the other. Then glue a strip of pile Velcro to the opposite side of the pad. Position the pile strips so they can wrap around and attach to the hook Velcro on the other side of the pad when the pads are separated (keeping the Velcro safely covered). And, then make sure the strips can also attache to the hook Velcro patch on the other pad to hold the pads together when you want them that way. If you use your ridge-rest cut to butt up against your inflatable, the drop-off from the inflatable to the CCF pad would be much more manageable than dropping off the whole 2 inches if the CCF pad were put under the inflatable.

I've been meaning to do this same thing for a couple of years, but just keep not getting around to it.
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

Thanks for the advice, I love sleeping on my CCF most of the time, it makes site selection more of a process and I love sleeping on deep pine needles!

I notice how the weight difference and cost of full sized pads are not much more than smalls. Perhaps I will go the route of an air pad, I'm looking at ThermaRest prolite because I still want to enjoy some contact with the ground!

Has anyone come across clones or cheaper versions of this type of 1 in thick pad not from ThermaRest?
    CatNap
    GA-ME

Quote Originally Posted by CornerCreek27 View Post
    . . . Has anyone come across clones or cheaper versions of this type of 1 in thick pad . . .
    Check out the Thermarest Trail Scout!
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

I have an old thermarest, no name on it. Probably pert near 20 years old now.... I think it's similar to the scout model they sell now. It's my son's pad now, still going strong...a standard sized rectangular pad, about an inch thick I think.... it's just a bit heavy.
    after giving inflatables a try....I ended up with the Nemo Tensor.... I decided to go back to self inflating. I have an old trail pro that is a good bit newer than that old thermarest, but still getting long in the tooth. It's by far my most comfortable mattress, but it's a large, thick, and heavy. Great even for sleeping on concrete though! Too heavy for this old body and backpacking. Was going to go with the newer version of that.... or the "lite" one.
    I was also strongly looking for short torso or small pad, too.
    Went to REI to try a few out. Ended up buying an REI branded one... the air rail I think it's called, a women's model, 66 inches long
    I figured it might be good to use as a lighter pad....not as short as a torso type pad...maybe a good compromise. I figured something one of my kids could use...or I could use for backpacking.
    Slept on it only one night so far, but I liked it well enough.

I've used the Pro Lite from TR and really do like those self inflating feel, meaning you can still feel whats below you!
    I just came across these pads from Multi Mat, I had never heard of that brand but the pads look legit and are a bit cheaper. Any one have experience with these?

Mutlimat Pro Force Adventure from Sierra Trading Co.:
    https://www.sierratradingpost.com/mu...reviewsSection

Mutlimat Pro Force Super Lite from Sierra Trading Co.:
    https://www.sierratradingpost.com/mu...20inflating%2F
    CatNap
    GA-ME

I don't ever require a sit pad so...? I use modular/component sleep pad systems in pieces, solo, and mix and matching for all 4 season but with light winter camping. I work with NeoAirXlite shortie @ 47" long and 3.2 R value, NeoAirXlite womans at 67" long @ 3.9 R value, 1/4" and 3/8" CCF foam pads w/ a bit of added R-values, and Reflectix(radiant barrier insulation, basically mylar sandwiched over bubble wrap), aluminized Mylar/polyester cheap space blanket, and Tyvek and polycro ground sheets.

++ New Posts ++