WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Section of MST to BMT

Hi all, I am in early planning stages but would love ANY feedback.

This June I am planning on walking Sections 1-4 on the MST and connecting to the BMT via the Smokies to get down to Springer Mountain. The hike will be around 600 +/- with excursions on the Art Loeb Trail and maybe in the Smokies. Has anyone thought/ or done something like this? Please give me any feedback!
    Here's some more specific queries:

1) Recommendations on if I should start the hike on Springer or Pisgah NF? Any reason to start in one place or the other?

2) I'm *hoping* to be able to leave my vehicle near to Knoxville TN and utilize shuttles/ greyhounds to get to the two trail heads (Amicalola SP and Beacon Heights Overlook TH). Does this make sense or could there be a better way to transport? It seems like it may be possible to shuttle from Knoxville to Amicalola, has anyone had experience?

3) ANY other beta or thoughts about this hike! Are there other side bits such as Art Loeb that I should check out while hiking through these sections? Any advice for getting into the Smokies?

Thank!
    Catnap
    CatNap
    GA-ME

Images

3 posts on the same subject?

Sorry! I am not too familiar with the forum format, and feel that my question spans a few different threads. Not trying to spam anyone!
    CatNap
    GA-ME

When is your timeframe? RU willing to flipflop?

It's so appreciated that you have the where with all to combine segments of different named trails/trails with a willingness to experience side excursions. It's outside of the box LD backpacking thinking.

Have you examined elev profiles and total ascent/descent for your various segments, then creating an elev profile for your specific hike? That could also influence your direction(s) of travel.

I think of things like this regularly.

++ New Posts ++