Default PCT...and then some

Have any of you veteran thru-hikers completed two thru-hikes in one hiking season or any major pre-hikes prior to your start date? I will be end-to-ending the Bibbulmun Track in Australia before arriving to Campo on May 14th (PCT start date). The Bibbulmun Track in WA is 600 miles long (about 1000 km) and will take me 40 days (around 6 weeks) with a start date of April 2nd in the window to miss the bushfire season and still get to Campo in time for my May 14th start date. It seems like a lot of miles but really comes out to 3250 miles for the entire season, just 150 miles more than the CDT (and the Bibb has much more moderate terrain than CDT). I consider this my mother "pre-hike" so by the time I get to the PCT southern terminus, I'll hopefully have some hiker legs, a stripped-down pack, and some mental preparedness for the challenges ahead.

Does anyone else have future ambitions or stories about hiking two long-distance trails in one hiking season?
    "A house on your back." -Colin Fletcher

Started Dec. 29, 2004 on the AT (just couldn't wait till the 31st) headed nobo to Kent, CT. Flew out to Cali and did the PCT. Then back to Kent, CT to head north to finish the AT. Finished Dec. 2005. That was a long year.
    * Warning: I bite AND I do not play well with others! -hellkat-

I like your agenda. I recognize many positives in it.

There are at least a dozen on WB that I'm aware of alone that do multiple LD hikes in a yr. I'll let them tell their stories. Here is mine. I thank you for asking.

Stacking thru-hikes, end to end, or LD hikes back to back to back and over 12 months is what I love to do. My life is intentionally designed around it. Since 2006 every yr has been a multiple LD hike one. Once I get settled into LD life I don't want to stop. I like following the 4 seasons when doing so. I love the LD backpacking life. It's where I feel most at home.

However, I'm nowhere up to Cam Honan's aka Swami, Andrew Skurka's, Brian Robinson's aka Flying Brian's, Heather Anderson's aka Anish, Scott Williams's, etc elite standards. No FKT or TC in a CY aspirations on my radar. And, I have limited international LD experience. All those elite folks I find encouragement, inspiration, and trail wisdom from though. I just like diverse endurance backpacking not bent on speed(MPH) or having to accomplish "first's" so don't assume one has to be that elite of a backpacker to experience multiple LD hikes in a yr.

As an example, the biggest YTD was in a 10.5 month period in 2010-11(not a true CY) backpacking some 5900 miles with the largest chunks a 510 mile BMT/AT Figure 8(I worked from the trail as a Landscape Architect) immediately followed with a 3600 mile CDT SOBO(again worked PT on the hike) immediately followed up by a 400 or so mile LT SOBO(extended on the AT SOBO) with a 2 month gap for work back to 600 miles on the Cali Coastal Tr(a thru hike distance in itself). For a 7 yr period I was averaging 3600 trail/route miles per yr. Over the last three yrs I've decreased the yearly mileage focusing more on stacking one or two 700-1000 mile or so hikes with a greater number of 150-300 miles ones. BTW, not everyone does the same length CDT thru; mine was on the rather lengthy side. Also, yearly trail mileage is not just about trail mileage on named known ABC trails and routes claiming known trail thru-hike acronym finishes!

For me, thru-hiking is so much more than just about hiking, MPD, accumulating trail acronyms, being publicly recognized(I'm yet to apply for and receive my TC Award for example), or "getting it dun" and going onto the next latest greatest LD hike to top the last one. My LD backpacking can more aptly be defined as a LD traveling based approach with LD backing at the core. None of the LD hikes totally revolve around hiking.

Enjoy your many journeys cherishing every one.

Up with the sun, gone with the wind
    Some would say he was lazy
    Makin' a new home, makin' new friends
    Runnin' to sanity when things get too crazy
    Out to the trail, out neath' the stars
    Feelin' the breeze, passin' the trees

Trails have come, trails have gone,
    Each one tryin' to cage me
    Some were so scenic I barely got free
    Others, sometimes only enraged me
    Sometimes, at night I see their trailhead faces
    I feel the traces they've left on my soul
    Those are the memories that make me a wealthy soul

I like your agenda. I recognize many positives in it.

There are at least a dozen on WB that I'm aware of alone that do multiple LD hikes in a yr. I'll let them tell their stories. Here is mine. I thank you for asking.

Stacking thru-hikes, end to end, or LD hikes back to back to back and over 12 months is what I love to do. My life is intentionally designed around it. Since 2006 every yr has been a multiple LD hike one. Once I get settled into LD life I don't want to stop. I like following the 4 seasons when doing so. I love the LD backpacking life. It's where I feel most at home.

However, I'm nowhere up to Cam Honan's aka Swami, Andrew Skurka's, Brian Robinson's aka Flying Brian's, Heather Anderson's aka Anish, Scott Williams's, etc elite standards. No FKT or TC in 1 yr aspirations on my radar. All those elite folks I find encouragement, inspiration, and trail wisdom from though. I just like diverse endurance backpacking not bent on speed(MPH) or having to accomplish "first's" so don't assume one has to be that elite of a backpacker to experience multiple LD hikes in a yr.

As an example, the biggest YTD was in a 10.5 month period in 2010-11(not a true CY) backpacking some 5900 miles with the largest chunks a 510 mile BMT/AT Figure 8(I worked from the trail as a Landscape Architect) immediately followed with a 3600 mile CDT SOBO immediately followed up by a 400 or so mile LT SOBO(extended on the AT SOBO) with a 2 month gap for work back to 600 miles on the Cali Coastal Tr(a thru hike distance in itself). For a 7 yr period I was averaging 3600 trail/route miles per yr. Over the last three yrs I've decreased the yearly mileage focusing more on stacking one or two 1000 mile or so hikes with a greater number of 150-300 miles ones. BTW, not everyone does the same length CDT thru; mine was on the rather lengthy side. Also, yearly trail mileage is not just about trail mileage on named known trails and routes claiming known trail thru-hike acronym finishes!

For me, thru-hiking is so much more than just about hiking, MPD, accumulating trail acronyms, being publicly recognized(I'm yet to apply for and receive my TC Award for example), or "getting it dun" and going onto the next latest greatest LD hike to top the last one. My LD backpacking can more aptly be defined as a LD traveling based approach with LD backing at the core. None of the LD hikes totally revolve around hiking.

Enjoy your many journeys cherishing every one.

Up with the sun, gone with the wind
    Some would say he was lazy
    Makin' a new home, makin' new friends
    Runnin' to sanity when things get too crazy
    Out to the trail, out neath' the stars
    Feelin' the breeze, passin' the trees

Trails have come, trails have gone,
    Each one tryin' to cage me
    Some were so scenic I barely got free
    Others, sometimes only enraged me
    Sometimes, at night I see their trailhead faces
    I feel the traces they've left on my soul

Attempted a Triple Crown in one year in 2001/2002.
    Completed AT and CDT but only 1,000 miles of PCT.
    Our old website is still up. Complete with journal entries
    http://triplecrownoneyear.tripod.com

We made a video about it too:

Good luck on your endeavor!
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

I never even completed a thru hike, but last year on a NOBO AT LASH, I met a guy who hiked the entire AT NOBO. He then turned around at Katahdin and headed SOBO with the intent to finish at Springer. He called himself a "Yo-Yo hiker." I met him at the Birch Run Shelter (mile 1091.9 NOBO) on September 19. I remember thinking the guy was completely crazy .
    Trail Name - Slapshot
    "One step at a time."
    Blog - www.tonysadventure.com

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ldsailor View Post
    I never even completed a thru hike, but last year on a NOBO AT LASH, I met a guy who hiked the entire AT NOBO. He then turned around at Katahdin and headed SOBO with the intent to finish at Springer. He called himself a "Yo-Yo hiker." I met him at the Birch Run Shelter (mile 1091.9 NOBO) on September 19. I remember thinking the guy was completely crazy .
    Sounds a lot like the guy we met the day after Thanksgiving on the trail in Virginia. We were on our way up to Chestnut Knob. He was headed south. He said he started in Florida, hiked to Katahdin, and turned around. We asked where he was from. He paused like he was trying to remember before saying, Colorado. Just a gut feeling, but something tells me this was the same guy. Older fellow, pack really beat up.

Images

Here is Swami little adventure. Very likely the furthest distance hiked in a year. (And then some.)

https://www.thehikinglife.com/12-lon...tats-journals/
    enemy of unnecessary but innovative trail invention gadgetry

That was 14k+ miles in just under 18 months. A helluva lot basically non stop hiking in different U.S. locations over all four seasons. What a display of endurance and smooth logistical organization always with a smile for pics too! What did Cam do in a 12 month period?

I wonder how that compares to Nimblewill Nomad's highest 12 month period.

I have been on a leave of absence from my work since mid-August to "trail around the world". I spent two months in France/Spain on a few Caminos, hiked three Great Walks in New Zealand, and solo trekked the full Annapurna Circuit in Nepal. I also have been doing some sightseeing stuff like 10 days in North Korea (including two day hikes in the stunning Mt. Chilbo area!).

I'm returning to Spain next week to hike for two months before starting the PCT.
    I considered walking the Israel National Trail, but the Camino was calling me back.

I already have my "trail legs" so I'm hoping to have a really enjoyable start to the PCT.
    I started the AT in 2014 totally out of shape and walked many 13 hour days to reach my mileage goals.

After the PCT, I'm supposed to go back to work. Who knows? Maybe I'll just keep on walkin'! I think the Bibb is supposed to be nice in September!
    Follow My Hiking Adventures: http://www.youtube.com/SaraDhooma
    Or if you just like photos: http://instagram.com/scifi_sara

Quote Originally Posted by illabelle View Post
    Sounds a lot like the guy we met the day after Thanksgiving on the trail in Virginia. We were on our way up to Chestnut Knob. He was headed south. He said he started in Florida, hiked to Katahdin, and turned around. We asked where he was from. He paused like he was trying to remember before saying, Colorado. Just a gut feeling, but something tells me this was the same guy. Older fellow, pack really beat up.
    It may be the same guy. The time looks right. He came into the shelter at night when I was already in my sleeping bag. He rummaged around in his backpack while we talked. He left to continue night hiking after about 15 minutes. I never saw his face or backpack.
    Trail Name - Slapshot
    "One step at a time."
    Blog - www.tonysadventure.com

GAME 06

It is common for people to hike the AZT (800 miles) nobo in the spring to get ready for the PCT or CDT as this times out perfectly and hones one's desert skills.

There were 2 hikers in 2015 who did the AT and then the PCT.

I think lots of folks would do this kind of thing if they could afford to and their spouse would not divorce them

GAME 06

Re: the AT yo-yo hiker. I don't follow the AT much any more since I moved away from living right next to it. But AT yo-yo hikers used to be fairly common.

There was a guy named Stumpknocker I think who basically never stopped yo-yoing. He would just walk to one end and turn around, again and around and so on.

++ New Posts ++