WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by FreeGoldRush View Post
    It's hard to blame them because Americans have led them to believe they deserve all sorts of things others don't get.
    Tell a Vietnam vet that and he'll laugh at you.
    Trail Name - Slapshot
    "One step at a time."
    Blog - www.tonysadventure.com

Amen,Amen!

Quote Originally Posted by SoaknWet View Post
    Amen,Amen!
    And again Amen!
    "It goes to show you never can tell." - Charles Edward Anderson Berry

Quote Originally Posted by TexasBob View Post
    What puzzles me is why do I get a discount as a reward for getting old but you don't get a discount as a reward for serving to protect us all? I think you deserve it more than I do.
    The Senior discount does two things, encourages seniors to visit National Parks who have the time to do so (presuming many are retired) and uses the logic that a reward for paying taxes over a lifetime is an attraction in and of itself. Senior discounts are common and a demonstrable economic incentive.

Were we to reward everyone who served the public by protecting it, veterans would be among a fairly significant number of people who provide protection to the public, some we never associate with it. For example: Police, fire fighters, EMTs, doctors, nurses, utility workers (electric, water, gas, without whom civilization as we know it would stop), corrections officials, the list is quite long and depends where the line of what is considered public protection is drawn.

I tried to use my senior pass on my last hike thru the park on the AT. The park ranger said a senior pass could not be applied to backcountry hiking fees. Apparently there is no system set up for its use. I was also told all backcountry hiking fees are dedicated to maintaining the backcountry only. Seems fair but I think much more damage is done by the impact of autos in the park. I did see a lot more people in the park than I did in 2007, hope they can control the growth in a way that's fair to all.

I think we can all agree that there are many forms of service to the country (military, nurses, teachers, cops, emt, vets, firefighters) among others.

I think we can all agree the service of these people is somewhat special and deserves our gratitude (to what degree is your personal decision)

I think we can all agree most military, nurses, teachers, cops, emt, vets, firefighters do not act entitled

I think we can all agree any individual that comes off a entitle is just a dink no matter who they are

I think we can agree most military, Vet, teachers, cops, firefighters, emt, nurses if you gave them a discount or bought them a beer in local bar they would be very appreciative and many would try to buy you a beer or reciprocate if one form or another.

I think we can all agree nobody should be priced out of our national parks

The increase in rates is only for the most overcrowded parks. And yes, some of these are truly overcrowded and overused.

It’s also a nudge to get people to buy the yearly pass. In all seriousness, the pass is much easier to maintain for park entry. 5-10 seconds to flash your card and drive past the gate vs 1-5 minute transaction for 500 cars on a busy day at Yosemite. Do the math.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
    The Senior discount does two things, encourages seniors to visit National Parks who have the time to do so (presuming many are retired) and uses the logic that a reward for paying taxes over a lifetime is an attraction in and of itself. Senior discounts are common and a demonstrable economic incentive.
    Were we to reward everyone who served the public by protecting it, veterans would be among a fairly significant number of people who provide protection to the public, some we never associate with it. For example: Police, fire fighters, EMTs, doctors, nurses, utility workers (electric, water, gas, without whom civilization as we know it would stop), corrections officials, the list is quite long and depends where the line of what is considered public protection is drawn.
    What you say is true and I have no argument with any of it. It is just strikes me as odd that we choose as a society to reward one person because they are still breathing and not another whose contributions benefit all of us. Truth be told it makes me feel guilty that others who are more deserving don't get a discount and I do.
    If you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything.

Quote Originally Posted by wordstew View Post
    I think we can all agree that there are many forms of service to the country (military, nurses, teachers, cops, emt, vets, firefighters) among others.

I think we can all agree the service of these people is somewhat special and deserves our gratitude (to what degree is your personal decision)

I think we can all agree most military, nurses, teachers, cops, emt, vets, firefighters do not act entitled

I think we can all agree any individual that comes off a entitle is just a dink no matter who they are

I think we can agree most military, Vet, teachers, cops, firefighters, emt, nurses if you gave them a discount or bought them a beer in local bar they would be very appreciative and many would try to buy you a beer or reciprocate if one form or another.

I think we can all agree nobody should be priced out of our national parks
    I agree.............
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Images

I joined the Marine Corps soon after Vietnam and could not believe the hate received from fellow American's, Forget about any freebies - you were lucky to be served a drink at any bar close to any college campus.

I remember coming back from Okinawa in 1977 and was told to get out of uniform as soon possible when arriving at LAX - Didn't matter because you were the only one wearing a high and tight haircut back then.

Upon separation was unofficially advised to switch to civilian clothes as soon as possible! If I had been offered a cup of coffee I would still own the cup.

Truth be told it makes me feel guilty that others who are more deserving don't get a discount and I do.
    You do yourself a disservice by thinking the only thing you did to get a senior lifetime park pass was to get old. A nation is not an abstract thing, it is made up of all the people in it. The contribution of every American, in aggregate, is what makes this a great nation. You contribute by working, by voting, and in innumerable other ways. Getting a senior pass is a small way for a grateful nation to say “thank you for a lifetime of service”, analogous to the proverbial gold watch a company might give a long time employee upon retirement.

Default What The Hell!!!

I sincerely say that you have put making it to 70 in the most heart felt way I have ever heard. I thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by gpburdelljr View Post
    You do yourself a disservice by thinking the only thing you did to get a senior lifetime park pass was to get old. A nation is not an abstract thing, it is made up of all the people in it. The contribution of every American, in aggregate, is what makes this a great nation. You contribute by working, by voting, and in innumerable other ways. Getting a senior pass is a small way for a grateful nation to say “thank you for a lifetime of service”, analogous to the proverbial gold watch a company might give a long time employee upon retirement.
    Good point well made. I was happy to get my $10 senior pass. This discussion has made me rethink it. My father (93) joined the Army Air Corp during WW II and made it career. He lives in San Antonio now and when we visit him we always end up taking him to Lackland Air Force base to the BX. During the early part of Iraq we would always see young men with obvious brain damage in wheelchairs with their families in the BX. I am sure they were patients at Wolford Hall Medical Center on the base. Compared to what I have done as good citizen for the country it is nothing compared to what they have given for the country. I guess that is why I feel guilty for getting a discount when others who have given far more than I don't get one.
    If you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything.

While hiking through Shenandoah this past September I noticed the high use of families on a particular Saturday. Trailhead parking areas were full, families were hiking together and everyone seemed to be having a great day on a beautiful Day.
    I stop at one of the huts for a lunch break and talking to two families that were also there.
    They informed me that the reason the park was unusually busy was that it was a designated free admission day for the park. One dad quietly told me that these designated days were the only time he could afford to bring his family as he lived pay day to pay day.
    The majority of us that have passes or that can afford to come into the park, camp at one of the campgrounds and eat a nice meal at one of the restaurants forget that so many Americans are not so fortunate.
    Sad state of affairs when our national and state governments can afford to maintain our parks and make them available to all.

Quote Originally Posted by Gambit McCrae View Post
    $75 for annual pass seems like the way to go

I personally don't see anything wrong with it...Parks are underfunded as it is, why not let the people that go and enjoy it help pickup some of the expenses, while at the same time cut down on the population going to the park for less of an impact.
    Tell that to a dad that cant afford to take his children to our national parks. These parks belong to us not just to those that can afford it!
    They are underfunded because they are not a priority to the majority of politicians .
    As far as veterans don't even get me started. When you have walked in their shoes you will quickly understand its not about being entitled, whining or getting something for free----its about a grateful nation saying thank you for your service to this great nation!
    Last edited by Alligator; 01-22-2018 at 20:28. Reason: Foreign policy reference removed.

What you say is true and I have no argument with any of it. It is just strikes me as odd that we choose as a society to reward one person because they are still breathing and not another whose contributions benefit all of us. Truth be told it makes me feel guilty that others who are more deserving don't get a discount and I do.
    Yeah, I think the senior thing is very interesting. I understand the whole "fixed income" thing, many seniors....like my grandparents were...are poor....but overall I'd say that seniors are the ones with extra money. The young folks just starting out don't.

Side track story..... Way back a good long while ago, I had moved to a new city with a new job. Went to the bank to set-up a checking account. I wanted an interest bearing one. The bank guy put me into one set up as a seniors account. I was around 28 or so at the time..... It was the only one they had like I wanted. I remember him explaining that they can't limit it by age, because that would be age discrimination.

What chafes me about the parks, state parks included, is that they are increasingly catering to the RV crowd. Case in point, Blackwater River State Park in Florida, it used to have a very nice primitive campground with secluded sites, with a nice bathhouse centrally located. Now it is paved over with RV sites, to heck with the tent campers....no sites for them! Who wants to set up a tent on a cement RV site? Georgia tent sites are now $30....when will the money grab end????
    Let's head for the roundhouse; they can't corner us there!

Quote Originally Posted by Last Call View Post
    What chafes me about the parks, state parks included, is that they are increasingly catering to the RV crowd. Case in point, Blackwater River State Park in Florida, it used to have a very nice primitive campground with secluded sites, with a nice bathhouse centrally located. Now it is paved over with RV sites, to heck with the tent campers....no sites for them! Who wants to set up a tent on a cement RV site? Georgia tent sites are now $30....when will the money grab end????
    I'm not familiar with that park, but I'm an RV'er myself, and we frequent state parks.

I'd say that I've noticed most parks don't have many "walk-in" tent only sites, and even fewer have any backcountry sites.....but from what I have seen the walk-in tent only sites don't get nearly as much use. However, most Florida state park sites really are more dual purpose in that they are not paved. Not really great in terms of nature/privacy but perfectly usable for tents as well as RV's....in fact I'd recon a high percentage of sites are used by tailgate camping tenters.

I do wish there were more state parks with nice back country sites. I mean it's not like they don't have the acreage available to carve out a few spaces off trail someplace..... and for that matter I am usually disappointed in how the RV spaces are crammed in together like a paring lot.

Quote Originally Posted by tawa View Post
    While hiking through Shenandoah this past September I noticed the high use of families on a particular Saturday. Trailhead parking areas were full, families were hiking together and everyone seemed to be having a great day on a beautiful Day.
    I stop at one of the huts for a lunch break and talking to two families that were also there.
    They informed me that the reason the park was unusually busy was that it was a designated free admission day for the park. One dad quietly told me that these designated days were the only time he could afford to bring his family as he lived pay day to pay day.
    And consider that Shenandoah National Park is located just west of one of the richest areas in the United States and we still have people priced out.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
++ New Posts ++