WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Great to see all these supportive and informative posts!

One note. It's quite true that Harpers Ferry does not have a grocery store. But that does not mean there is no resupply. The Outfitter at Harpers Ferry (in lower town) stocks quite a few items for hikers (not all of which are on display, sometimes they have things like bagels and cheese that you have to ask for). Early in the season there many not be as many items stocked as in the peak of the season, but you can always get basic backpacker food items.

During 2017, the Teahorse Hostel started carrying some resupply items for hikers; don't know the plans for 2018. The Teahorse Hostel is closed for the winter (until March). Of course, the prices in these small businesses can't compete with the big box stores (a Walmart is 5 miles west of ATC, available by EPTA bus which runs Mon-Fri, $2.50 each way, several times a day). There is also a 7-11 convenience store 1 mile west of ATC. And the Town's Inn has a sundry shop with some food items and cafe; they're open 7 days a week year round, even when everything else in lower town is shuttered in the dead of winter.

Both the Harpers Ferry Post Office and ATC HQ hold packages for hikers.
    Last edited by Lauriep; 01-22-2018 at 19:23.

Regardless of where you decide to start your hike, heed the advice of others in this thread and take your time. Your body will need some time to adjust to the drastic changes you are subjecting it to. I would try to keep it under 12 miles a day for the first week, and slowly add a couple more miles each week. Listen to your body.

As for sections that are deemed easy by others, I'm in my late 50's and frankly I cannot remember any easy days on the AT. Every day is work, but it is fulfilling. Expect VA, MD and PA to really challenge you, they will. I would advise to not let your mind think of more than the miles to your next resupply and focus on small sections at a time. Have a plan, be flexible, enjoy the people you meet and relax. You can do this.

I found we had way too much food in SNP... remember there are the Waysides to stop at: Big Meadows = cheeseburgers!!!! Skyline = BREAKFAST! Elkwallow = Berry Shakes! Even Lewis Mountain will have some food (and showers!)

Images

Quote Originally Posted by shelb View Post
    I found we had way too much food in SNP... remember there are the Waysides to stop at: Big Meadows = cheeseburgers!!!! Skyline = BREAKFAST! Elkwallow = Berry Shakes! Even Lewis Mountain will have some food (and showers!)
    Looking forward to this :-) SNP will be my longest trip without resupply (8 days), but I am planning to carry less than I would normally need and pig out at the waysides.
    It's all good in the woods.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleRock View Post
    Looking forward to this :-) SNP will be my longest trip without resupply (8 days), but I am planning to carry less than I would normally need and pig out at the waysides.
    WHAT? $15 for a burger and fries!!! Oh hell, give me two
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

They waysides aren't cheap but are definitely worth it. The food even tastes better when you eat there on a thru hike of the park than when you drive in, for some strange reason.

It is true that SNP is not "easy" in terms of there being some elevation gain and loss, but it is certainly easier than many other parts of the AT and, in addition, much easier than the many excellent side trails in SNP itself. Of course, anyone who isn't familiar with backpacking or isn't in the best of shape might find it difficult. Luckily, there are shelters at reasonable intervals for those who want to use them, along with campsites that have bear poles. And the skyline drive is never far away either providing bail out points if necessary.

I am hiking through the part in early March this year, unless there is a lot of snow or ice, and although I won't have the waysides to look forward to, I'm eagerly anticipating this trip to test out some new gear and to see the park again, now that I no longer live nearby.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    WHAT? $15 for a burger and fries!!! Oh hell, give me two
    You forgot to say "cold burger" and "greasy fries". And rude folks behind the counter selling the stuff. Twice at a wayside I was told to "please eat your food outside". STILL, edible, big calorie meals that you don't have to carry on your back is worth it!

Quote Originally Posted by LittleRock View Post
    I personally carried WAY less, like I entered the park carrying 2-3 days of food. Remember, there are also stores right on the trail, along with waysides. Sure, you gotta have some bank for this, but it's not too ridiculous.

For the record, when I said this section of the trail was easy-peasy, I meant in comparison to most of the rest of the AT. Not easy-peasy on an absolute basis. From a trail steepness (grade) standpoint, I would say the AT in this section is more like the much gentler trails out here in the west. Graded for horses and other pack animals. I was blown away at the continuous, steep, ups and downs of the AT when I hike it back in 2013! But not bad at all in the SNP area, again, in comparison to most of the rest of the AT.

Images

Yikes! Didn't mean to essentially repeat you Coffee, we were simul-typing, I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Emerson Bigills View Post
    Regardless of where you decide to start your hike, heed the advice of others in this thread and take your time. Your body will need some time to adjust to the drastic changes you are subjecting it to. I would try to keep it under 12 miles a day for the first week, and slowly add a couple more miles each week. Listen to your body.

As for sections that are deemed easy by others, I'm in my late 50's and frankly I cannot remember any easy days on the AT. Every day is work, but it is fulfilling. Expect VA, MD and PA to really challenge you, they will. I would advise to not let your mind think of more than the miles to your next resupply and focus on small sections at a time. Have a plan, be flexible, enjoy the people you meet and relax. You can do this.
    Thank you for the wise advice. I'm generally a pretty level headed person and do listen to those who have been before me. I'm 90% sure now that I will start at HF...after digesting everyone's suggestions and ideas. I think 12 miles a day in the beginning might be optimistic if I start at HF. I'm hoping for 8 - 10. Breaking things down into smaller goals will be my strategy. Step by step as my wife always says. Many times looking at the big picture is necessary but at other times it's overwhelming and not needed.

I am planning on hiking this section in Late September / Early October... I am hoping to get an idea of the typical weather in the SNP during that time of year.
    Any information is appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by DeadBushi View Post
    I am planning on hiking this section in Late September / Early October... I am hoping to get an idea of the typical weather in the SNP during that time of year.
    Any information is appreciated.
    Beautiful weather but you'll likely miss the peak of the fall foliage and I'd suggest timing more for mid October instead.

Thanks for the advice. I may do just that.

Quote Originally Posted by Coffee View Post
    Beautiful weather but you'll likely miss the peak of the fall foliage and I'd suggest timing more for mid October instead.
    Agreed. When I went through there on a section October 8-18 in 2016, I was still about a week too early for the peak.
    -tagg

•Completed A.T. Section Hike GA to ME 1996 thru 2003 •Donating Member Skyline's Avatar
    Images

The weather in SNP in April can be damn near summer-like, or very winter-like. Most likely somewhere in between. You need to be prepared for winter-like. Seriously.

Here is the 2018 schedule for facility openings and closings:

https://www.nps.gov/shen/planyourvisit/hours.htm

Journal Entries

As well said Shenandoah is pretty easy. For a hiker used to the rest of the AT.

The half north of Big Meadows is much easier than the half South.

The little bitty Hills in the South Part can add up over course of day. I recall a 22-mile day ending it bearfence I think, that included 4500 + foot of vertical. The biggest might have been 1000 foot or less but the 200-500 ft bumps added up. I was getting tired.

Amtrak goes to Staunton, which is about 10 miles west of Waynesboro, Irish

I did the upper half of SNP last April. I'm doing the southern half this April. I like having fewer leaves and better views (and fewer people but hiking SOBO helps avoid bubbles). Last year was unusually warm hot for mid April (upper 80's near Harpers Ferry) I usually pack for 20 degrees to 90 degrees with my hammock set up. Enjoy the walk.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++