WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Becoming Shuttle Driver

My husband and I are getting ready to move to a town near the southern terminus of the AT. Does anyone happen to know what is involved in being a shuttle driver? Do you need a particular license/permit/insurance coverage? If this has been posted before, sorry!

I don't know if you "Have to" but I do know that Mountain Harbor BB would have all the info "straight from a licensed shuttle driver as they are top notch, first class insured shutters."

You didn't ask, but I will give my 2 cents on what a hiker likes out of a shuttle driver. Well...What Gambit Likes out of a shuttle driver.
    1-Do not charge by the person, charge by the ride. It costs the same amount to make the drive with 1 person as it does for 4. I guess the opposite side of this is that makes it more expensive for the 1 guy...But on the other hand, I have really thought a lot of a shuttle driver that asks if I am flexible on leave time so that I and another hiker could split the cost of the shuttle.

2- Accepting/ replying/ communicating via text messages especially while your hiker is on the trail if they are getting an end of trip shuttle back to the car.

3- I am a non smoker - I dislike when shuttle drivers smoke when shuttling me and or others I am with.

4- be knowledgeable of the trail. Another good reason for post trip shuttles, you get first hand feedback on what your section of trail is experiencing vs dropping them off at the beginning of hike and that's it.

5-Especially during the thru hiker season, carry some supplies to sell to hikers. Folks coming from the airport will need fuel. Folks on up around Franklin will need fuel as well. If your gunna drive them to town, why not save them a trip to get fuel, and make a buck or 2 while your at it.

6- Ron Brown carries a can of assorted buckles and clips, like $1 a piece. He says it has saved a many a hiker some grief on the trail.

7- A clean, on time ride
    Trail Miles: 4,927.6
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 0.0
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

It varies by state. You will need commercial vehicle insurance which is more expensive than regular insurance. It will have an increased liability cap on it. In some areas you may need a special drivers license. If the driver will be shuttling into national forest, an outfitter guide permit may be needed.

Many folks find out the actual costs and decide to go on a donation or a tip basis. It may work fine until there is an accident and then the insurance company will call up and inform you that they will not cover the claim.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by peakbagger View Post
    It varies by state. You will need commercial vehicle insurance which is more expensive than regular insurance. It will have an increased liability cap on it. In some areas you may need a special drivers license. If the driver will be shuttling into national forest, an outfitter guide permit may be needed.

Many folks find out the actual costs and decide to go on a donation or a tip basis. It may work fine until there is an accident and then the insurance company will call up and inform you that they will not cover the claim.
    plan on spending 8 gs for insurance and 10 gs in repairs and weekly maintenance fees . you need to be dedicated to make money . i run 7 days a week 24 hour days non stop during the season . you have to make enough to sustain you until the next year . lets just say you do 200 hundred a day 120 of that is going out on expenses . i would not make your first income . if you are looking to make a little extra cash it is great . if you have any more questions feel free to ask . peace my friend

Images

whoops sorry peakbagger i did not mean to reply to you .

Registered User Tennessee Viking's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Its more of a passion & service and hiker community thing than income.

Definitely determine your drive distance limits.
    Also make friends with the local AT club and other Shuttle Drivers within the area.
    Advertise on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter.
    ''Tennessee Viking'
    Mountains to Sea Trail Hiker & Maintainer
    Former TEHCC (AT) Maintainer

I'm in the auto insurance industry (I hate it as much as you do) and can't stress the above information enough. If you don't get commercial coverage ( and it'll be through a. Specialty company probably. Livery services are almost impossible to underwrite properly, scaring away most big companies), then any claim that happens while operating will be denied. Start by getting quotes and go from there.

I wonder if an umbrella policy would work? I have a personal policy like this that covers alot. worth checking out if you accept donations.

You may need a special use authorization if you are operating a commercial business on forest service land.
    More walking, less talking.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by soilman View Post
    You may need a special use authorization if you are operating a commercial business on forest service land.

Along with national park land...

Images

To add to Gambit's list---

8----have plenty of Grateful Dead music to play for your riders......

The Secretary of State website probably has some information and/or references to rules and regulations for various businesses along with how to start a legal business, what taxes are required (both business and sales tax to the end user), and other variables you may need to know.

Even if this is just a hobby interest, forming an LLC would be a good idea to help shield assets and allow access commercial insurance products. An LLC is not very expensive to set up and would be playing by the rules that responsible businesses play by.

Do not underestimate the value of proper insurance. Any commercial use of a vehicle insured under a typical personal insurance policy will likely render that policy void if there is an accident. Even if accepting "donations" for rides, if it can be demonstrated you do this routinely, that can be interpreted as commercial use and not only will insurance not pay a claim, it can expose you to legal problems with the State. That exposure could be financially devastating. A good independent insurance broker will be your best bet in this research and should be able to tell you if a special livery policy would be needed and if a standard business General Liability policy would be appropriate for you.
    Last edited by Traveler; 01-17-2018 at 05:58.

An Umbrella policy will not cover it. That just extends liability limits on your coverage. Commercial policy or nothing.

Also, donations don't change the rules. Your accepting money for a service.

Does Ron still do shuttles? Ive been emailing him with no replies.

Ron Brown? Call him at 706-636-2825 or 706-669-0919

I have a follow up question for those in the know. Would signing up as an Uber or Lyft or whatever driver work to cover the legal and insurance aspect of shuttling hikers? I haven't used these services but from a distant observer it looks like it might be an option assuming Uber or Lyft go along with it.

Quote Originally Posted by perrymk View Post
    I have a follow up question for those in the know. Would signing up as an Uber or Lyft or whatever driver work to cover the legal and insurance aspect of shuttling hikers? I haven't used these services but from a distant observer it looks like it might be an option assuming Uber or Lyft go along with it.
    As I understand the business model, Uber/Lyft drivers are independent contractors using their own vehicles to transport people and/or goods for fee. This is a commercial use and needs the proper insurance. You should probably contact Uber or Lyft directly to inquire about insurance as I do not believe non-employees can be covered by corporate insurance but here may be some exceptions.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by perrymk View Post
    you would have to be driving for them at the time which translates to them taking 60 percent of your money . you have to buy commercial insurance to cover yourself . why would a company just let you drive off clock and make money for yourself on their policy without them pocketing any money ?

As between creating an LLC and getting proper insurance, always get the insurance first. If your LLC is just you and your vehicle, any lawyer can "pierce the corporate (or LLC) veil," Plus the LLC won't protect you for your own negligence. If your LLC owns your car but you negligently crash it and injure your shuttle passenger, you can be personally on the hook as well as your LLC. In Connecticut the seminal case is Scribner vs O'Brien and I'm sure there are similar cases in other states. The three rules for small businesses like this are (1) get the insurance, (2) form an LLC, (3) get the insurance. And never skip rules (1) and (3).
    "It goes to show you never can tell." - Charles Edward Anderson Berry

A lot of good business advice here. I would also suggest getting to know the area. If you are going to shuttle, you need to know how to get from FS 42 to a paved road. And know which FS 42 and where the nearest paved road goes. Also know which roads are nearly impassable after 3 days of mountain valley rain. Learn how to get to the two Winding Stair gaps (one is on a US Hwy and one is on a FS dirt road) and all the places that have the same names or different names. Oh, and figure out where you can get a cell signal.

I would suggest volunteering for the first season. That may not take away the need to get extra insurance, you'll spend money on gas, and your car will be dirty, but it will help you decide if you like shuttling hikers and like driving on mountain dirt roads for hours

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++