WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Thinking of quilt/ Qs on sizing

Hello all, I have spent hours and hours researching previous posts on this site and other sites. I'm gonna get in touch with some manufacturers as well but wanted to get some responses from users with real world experience. I guess I am interested in a quilt for the weight and space savings (although I've heard some very good arguments that this may not be the case when getting into sub freezing temps). I am also interested in a more comfortable sleep system (the mummy can be a bit restricting for me).

I know this is all very dependent on the individual so I guess I'm looking for your experiences and what has worked for you.

I'm 5'11" and would consider myself a bit on the scrawny side. I tend to sleep on side and stomach. I strictly sleep on the ground.

1. Length: Being 71" tall and sleeping on my stomach a lot, I'd say 78 inches. It looks like that would be "regular" size at Enlightened Equipment and the "78L" size for the UGQ Bandit (I'm sort of looking at those two companies). That seem correct? And so if the footbox is cinched up would that shorten the length a bit? By how much? I sort of want something I can wrap myself up into.

2. Width: Choices for EE are 54", 58" and 64". For UGQ I can get 55". Any compelling reason to select any one of those? It's hard to know what I need or want. 58" seems like it's in the middle. Are ground sleepers happy with 54"? 58"?

3. Temperature: I currently use a 20 degree mummy and usually hike North East USA spring through fall. It has worked for me in all kinds of temps. With a lack of funds I need something that's all purpose, or at least as all purpose as it gets. I'd go 30*, especially since I tend to sleep a bit warm. Hard to make decisions!

4. Any concerns using a quilt in a lean to, fabric getting snagged on floor? If it's wide enough could one simply just wrap up in a quilt like a sleeping bag and sleep on the sleeping pad in this way?

5. Down okay for north east summers? I'm sure lots of hikers must use it and if one is careful enough then it ought to be okay. I've always used synthetic so down would be new.

The two quilts I've been looking at :

A "Regular 6' x 58" bag" (so I believe that is 78" x 58" at the top) weighs 21.13 ounces and costs $290 at EE. They treat their down. The specs page says the bag uses a 13L stuff sack but surely it would compress down by quite a bit if need be? They have some ready to order or the lead time is 2-4 weeks.

A UGQ Bandit quilt measures 78" x 55" (at the top) weights 22.05 ounces and costs $199.95. They don't treat their down because they think this is a better way. Lead time is 9-10 weeks.

Is the EE worth the extra dough? Seems they are fairly similar with the EE being 3 inches wider.

Thank you to all for reading and taking the time to respond with your experience and thoughts.

I have a long/ wide 20 enigma. I'm also just over 5'11 and like the extra material to wrap up in the cold. I'm also a chaotic sleeper so I needed the extra material to cover me as I toss and turn.

I’m 6’ and 185 lbs. I have been using quilts for the last 10 years. Like you, mummy bags usually feel restricting for me. Currently I use a EE enigma 20 deg, long and wide. I prefer the ability to fully cover my head and wrap the quilt way under me. Especially if you are side sleeping a narrow quilt may leave you drafty. It’s tempting to cut ounces and go narrower and shorter but not worth it IMO. I’m not a bivy user but some find it helps keep the quilt in place. FWIW I find the EE quilt to be very light, compressible, and well made. The 20 deg rating works well for me down to about 30 with an R 3.5 pad, warm hat, and base layers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Huntmog View Post
    I have a long/ wide 20 enigma. I'm also just over 5'11 and like the extra material to wrap up in the cold. I'm also a chaotic sleeper so I needed the extra material to cover me as I toss and turn.
    Oh wow thank you so much for your quick reply. So yours is 84" by 58" then, right? Would you say the regular sized (78") would be not long enough for your needs? Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Heliotrope View Post
    I’m 6’ and 185 lbs. I have been using quilts for the last 10 years. Like you, mummy bags usually feel restricting for me. Currently I use a EE enigma 20 deg, long and wide. I prefer the ability to fully cover my head and wrap the quilt way under me. Especially if you are side sleeping a narrow quilt may leave you drafty. It’s tempting to cut ounces and go narrower and shorter but not worth it IMO. I’m not a bivy user but some find it helps keep the quilt in place. FWIW I find the EE quilt to be very light, compressible, and well made. The 20 deg rating works well for me down to about 30 with an R 3.5 pad, warm hat, and base layers.

Looks like you have the same quilt as the poster above you too so I suppose I have the same question. But I discovered something just now. The specs page at EE say the Enigma Long is 78" whereas the Revelation Regular is 78" so perhaps that is because of the footbox?

So your quilt being 78 inches long is enough to wrap up your head then? That sounds ideal to have that option available. I appreciate your response.

Correct on the 78. I'm not even sure the next sizes were an option when I got it. Any bigger and it would be spilling over and just bunching in my opinion

I find UGQ is a great value for a quality quilt. I got a UGQ bandit 20 degree and love it... for about the same $$ as purchasing an EE quilt I got to purchase 3 items my UGQ a Thermarest technical blanket (on sale) and a NuDown Men's Mount Whitney Vest.

https://www.amazon.com/Therm-A-Rest-.../dp/B077BCYDX1

https://www.amazon.com/NuDown-Mens-M.../dp/B016OUWQ9W

Don't get me wrong EE is a quality quilt but so is UGQ.

Quote Originally Posted by red5 View Post
    [/FONT][/COLOR][/LEFT]

Looks like you have the same quilt as the poster above you too so I suppose I have the same question. But I discovered something just now. The specs page at EE say the Enigma Long is 78" whereas the Revelation Regular is 78" so perhaps that is because of the footbox?

So your quilt being 78 inches long is enough to wrap up your head then? That sounds ideal to have that option available. I appreciate your response.
    Not sure about the length discrepancy between revelation and enigma. However, I prefer the sewn closed footbox. In warm weather the extra length allows me to slide out of the footbox easily.

Good info here. Getting a quilt before spring season but didn't know the optimal size. At 6'3 250, looks like it's xlong/xwide for me.
    It is what it is.

I use a Hammock Gear long and wide for ground dwelling on a pad of course under a Hyperlite 8.5 square tarp topped off with a MLD superlite bivy for cowboy camping and extreme rain. Yes down material as well. See you tube videos by Evans Backpacking he is using the same set up.

Garlic
    Images

At 5-9+ and 155#, the medium EE size is just long enough to pull over my head as a hood. I'd get a long at your height. I got the regular width and it's perfect.

I bought my 30F quilt for a bicycle tour that started in wet Cascade snow, saw sustained 100+ temps across the Midwest, and ended in the Northeast. The down was fantastic for all conditions. An unanticipated bonus was how clean it stayed, since I never actually laid on it with bare skin. A few minutes of sunshine once in a while and it stayed fresh for a two month trip. I have yet to launder it five years later. I think it's one of the best gear purchases I've ever made, and don't regret the price for a good EE quilt one bit.

Do you ever let your synthetic insulation get wet? If so, down may not be for you. After a couple of decades of using synthetics, I realized I'd never gotten a wet bag even after four years of traveling in the Cascades and Olympics. So I switched to down and immediately kicked myself for waiting so long. It's superior in all ways (until it isn't, as they say).

If I'm not sleeping in my silnylon shelter, I use it as a ground cloth, even in the few AT shelters I visited on my thru. I had no problems with the floors, but it was a very small sample.

Good luck with your purchase and I hope you appreciate it as much as I do mine.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Quote Originally Posted by garlic08 View Post
    At 5-9+ and 155#, the medium EE size is just long enough to pull over my head as a hood. I'd get a long at your height. I got the regular width and it's perfect.

I bought my 30F quilt for a bicycle tour that started in wet Cascade snow, saw sustained 100+ temps across the Midwest, and ended in the Northeast. The down was fantastic for all conditions. An unanticipated bonus was how clean it stayed, since I never actually laid on it with bare skin. A few minutes of sunshine once in a while and it stayed fresh for a two month trip. I have yet to launder it five years later. I think it's one of the best gear purchases I've ever made, and don't regret the price for a good EE quilt one bit.

Do you ever let your synthetic insulation get wet? If so, down may not be for you. After a couple of decades of using synthetics, I realized I'd never gotten a wet bag even after four years of traveling in the Cascades and Olympics. So I switched to down and immediately kicked myself for waiting so long. It's superior in all ways (until it isn't, as they say).

If I'm not sleeping in my silnylon shelter, I use it as a ground cloth, even in the few AT shelters I visited on my thru. I had no problems with the floors, but it was a very small sample.

Good luck with your purchase and I hope you appreciate it as much as I do mine.
    Thank you for your reply. I think I will definitely pull the trigger on an EE or another brand. It seems most people rave about quilts. Thanks for taking the time to reply.

I love my EE Enigma also. I’m 5’11 @ 220lbs and use the long/wide as others said it’s nice to have the extra length to cover your head if need be. If you skinny the regular width should be sufficient.

Shelter floors I’ve met on my four section hikes were all pretty smooth. Since I wouldn’t sleep on one without a pad the concern I’ve had was pad protection—never had a problem with any quilt used.

I have a footprint I use for my tent and in shelters now just in case.

Just a sheet of polycro.

The reason the Revelation (regular) length is so long is that you have to tie off about 6 inches to close the foot box. in the enigma the foot box is sewn shut, so you don't need the extra material to tie off.
    * Warning: I bite AND I do not play well with others! -hellkat-

The narrow quilts work best for the hammock folks. Wide is best for ground dwellers.

Thanks for the responses. I suppose I'm just a bit nervous about purchasing a quilt. Can't really try them out before you buy. They seem to resell pretty well though. Thanks again!

At 5'11", you definitely wanna go with a regular length quilt. While going up in size on a sleeping bag does not alter performance, it does with a quilt. The way to properly size a quilt is to get in sitting up, pull the quilt up until your feet hit the end of the footbox, cince up the neck and lie down. The quilt should naturally snug up against your sides while not pinching your neck. If you're a side sleeper, I would opt for the 58" width, anything wider would be overkill. IMHO, the best overall quilt is the Katabatic Gear Palisade. Its rated at 30°, but is really warm. It also has the best pad attachment system of any quilt I've used. It will cost you, though.

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

You've now heard some answers about sizing. You could go buy some inexpensive fleece, or even use an old sheet to sew a quilt the size you think might be correct. Then sleep with it on top of your bed for a night or two and see if you think it'll really work. Then when you order it, and it finally comes, you can revel in how nice it is compared to your tester sheet/fleece. :-)

Before I made my own quilt, I laid on my side, on top of my pad, and had my wife measure the distance from the ground, over my shoulders, to the ground on the other side. I also did this over my hips, and used this information to calculate the minimum width I needed. I included the thickness of the pad..... Well 2x the thickness, actually....to get a little extra coverage than the bare minimum.
    Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt, and the forest and field in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul.--Fred Bear

www.misadventuregear.com

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++