WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Where to find wide mouthed waterproof stuff sacks??!?!?

Hi everyone, I have been in search for a wide mouthed waterproof stuff sack, but I can't seem to find any good options. I intend to use it for a food bag. I am interested in a wide mouthed bag because it will make finding things and digging thru the food bag WAY easier.... Lightweight really isn't super important, but a plus. I am willing to trade off weight for convenience. If anyone has used one or knows a good brand that makes them, it would be greatly appreciated if you could let me know!!!

Thanks!

Check out the Granite Gear zippsacks. I don't have any experience with them, but they look interesting.

https://www.granitegear.com/outdoor/...red-stuffsacks

Zpacks food bag is pretty wide mouthed.

Granite Gear zipper sack is also nice.

DIY wouldn't be so bad either.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

I own 2 REI 10 liter and 1 15 liter dry sacks. Layer your food by days. It works.
    Ziplock, etc. storage bags come in sizes larger than 1 gallon. Walmart, Target, etc. sell them.
    Wayne

Honestly, If weight isn't an issue, you can pack of a pack of three "dry bags" of various sizes at walmart for very cheep. I weighed the largest one and it is like just about 1oz (going off memory). They are wide mouthed enough. I certainly have doubts about their waterproof ability but i'm sure they would keep food dry in mild rain. I picked up a pack just for kicks and they aren't too shabby. Mostly use them when I take my newbie friends.

Images

The Ascend brand at Bass Pro Shops with clear vinyl side has worked very well for me.
    [I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Thanks guys/gals for the feed back. The organizing by day is a good idea, because I organize by separate ziplocks for meals not days. But on my thru, I would sometimes run out of ziplocks, or mine would just get so torn up, that they became useless or turned into my new trash bag, and my food bag became a throw all until I got new ones. I've used the walmart bags, but I want wider! The Ascend is nice with the window, but it still looks narrow. I think I might try my hand in DIY. What I'm picturing is a sack wide like the air zippsack, but with a roll down top. This was just one of the small day to day things that got slightly annoying (especially when its dark, its cold, your hungry and you can't find your spoon) and I want to improve on. Thanks again for the input.

How wide do you need? The 20L dry bag I use for food is 16" across when flat, or about 10" at the opening in cylindrical form. There's one left here for $3.73. Mine weighs 71 grams.

That is a good deal on a wider mouthed bag, thanks. I'm thinking at least 16 inches, but maybe even like 20-24''. I'm picturing a bag that I would pack upright, not horizontal in my pack, i.e. I could unroll the top without taking the food bag out of my pack. So instead of a tall and skinny food bag, I want a fatter and slightly shorter one... I think I'm going to try and make my own, now that I realize how specific I want my food bag to be... thanks for the replies.

I too like a wide opening food bag and I use a Zpacks food. I bought a Ursack food bag for my Colorado trail thru hike last year but never used it. I just couldn't get use to it being tall and narrow unlike the Zpacks food bag. So I'd recommend the Zpacks food bag for what you're looking for in a food bag.

Images

Zpacks food bag is wide mouthed and has a roll top so it's waterproof.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by JoeVogel View Post
    Honestly, If weight isn't an issue, you can pack of a pack of three "dry bags" of various sizes at walmart for very cheep. I weighed the largest one and it is like just about 1oz (going off memory). They are wide mouthed enough. I certainly have doubts about their waterproof ability but i'm sure they would keep food dry in mild rain. I picked up a pack just for kicks and they aren't too shabby. Mostly use them when I take my newbie friends.
    I've got a set also. The large yellow is nominally 10.75"x 22", 8 liters; the opening flat is 10". That's what I use for my food bag, good for 5-6 days of my dehydrated food. It is a vertical packed bag though. Yellow is pretty visibly when hanging, I also put a strip of reflective tape around the bottom to help find it. I'm not impressed with its waterproofness and use a turkey bag inside. All of my food is vacuum sealed or ziplocked.

I use the red 4L bag for my clothes - base layer, socks, balaclava, etc.

I'm not using the blue bag.
    76 HawkMtn w/Rangers
    14 LHHT
    15 Girard/Quebec/LostTurkey/Saylor/Tuscarora/BlackForest
    16 Kennerdell/Cranberry-Otter/DollyS/WRim-NCT
    17 BearR
    18-19,22 AT NOBO 1562.2
    22 Hadrian's Wall
    23 Cotswold Way

Find the XL, XXL, etc. Ziplock type bags at Walmart or Target. They are square or rectangular and BIG! And CLEAR.
    https://www.target.com/p/ziploc-174-...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
    Wayne

Journal Entries

Outdoor Research. I use the Graphic Designs. It does not get mixed up w anyone elses. Has all the rings. Tough. I put a little bit of reflector tape on the bottom and the clips and use a line that has reflector in it so I can locate in fog or darkness. I love my OR large graphic designs bag.

++ New Posts ++