WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Why did you switch away FROM hammocks to tents are ground tarps?

I'm mildly thinking about trying hammock, after watching several of the folks i follow on youtube that are hangers.... several obvious advantages....disadvantages too.... and I'm a side sleeper so I have concerns I've only napped in some backyard hammocks (spreader bar types). Never really tried a nice gathered end one.........My son has a small eno like knock-off, I've tired it but its a bit too small. Still, I can see some positives....

So to those of you that have tried hammock camping ....I mean really tried it, like for more than just a night or two.... why did you stop and switch to a tent?

Never gonna happen! My hammock system is dialed in and more comfortable than any bed in my house.

Well, I know this isn't what you asked for, but I'm a side sleeper too and sleeping in a hammock is MUCH more comfortable than sleeping on the ground. (I'm too old to sleep on the ground.)

At home in bed I sleep on my side and front, never on my back, and am an active sleeper, turning all night. In a hammock I sleep flat on my back comfortably. I think it's the lack of pressure points in a hammock compared to a bed (or the ground if you're in a tent). As always HYOH and YMMV etc etc...

Images

Well, I had the opposite experience. Used/tried tents and switched to hammocks. More comfortable. Easier to camp just about anywhere. Can use various rainflies (try THAT with a tent).
    [I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Registered User dudeijuststarted's Avatar
    Images

I can sleep on my side just fine in a hammock. Instead of rolling over, though, you just have to lift your butt in the air and get on your side in the middle of the hammock. Chances are you're going to want to roll much less.

How about this? Don't give up tents or hammocks or bivys or tarps or... Have a choice of shelters depending on the conditions.

I'm a side sleeper and love a hammock in steep jungle warm weather seasons. There will be others offering better advice than I can how to sleep comfortably as a side sleeper in a hammock. What I do know is having the right type of set up and how you hang play vital rolls.

Cause there are places on this planet where tenting/tarping on the ground is more ideal than hammocking.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Singlewall tent
    Double wall tent
    Bivy

Different shelters I use for different hikes.

I've also laid in some incorrectly hung hammocks that rival some bad ground dwelling nights.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

I use both.

Quote Originally Posted by blw2 View Post
    I'm mildly thinking about trying hammock, after watching several of the folks i follow on youtube that are hangers.... several obvious advantages....disadvantages too.... and I'm a side sleeper so I have concerns I've only napped in some backyard hammocks (spreader bar types). Never really tried a nice gathered end one.........My son has a small eno like knock-off, I've tired it but its a bit too small. Still, I can see some positives....

So to those of you that have tried hammock camping ....I mean really tried it, like for more than just a night or two.... why did you stop and switch to a tent?
    I use both, but my hammock is reserved for warm weather. My underquilt is a 30 degree, so under 45 degrees as a low and I'll take my tent. Also, above treeline of course I'll take a tent (Colorado trail). I also took a tent on the Long trail because I knew we'd be using shelters a lot; I didn't want to take an underquilt AND a sleeping pad. I find hammocks extremely comfortable and very fun to use

I use both. Depends upon the trip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Images

Weight. Ground sleeping system is lighter.

I was some what of a side sleeper.
    A couch sleeper really for most of my life.
    I sleep in a hammock just fine in the mummy diagonal position.
    The best sleep I have ever had has been recently in my hammock.
    I especially like it when I get a little baby crib rock from the NW winds.
    Last edited by Vanhalo; 01-15-2018 at 09:48.

I have a hammock/quilts/rainfly (all from the more respected hammock vendors) . I also have a couple of tents (tarptent, Nemo) and good sleeping pads (exped, NEMO). I don't notice a difference in sleep quality (it's never as good as it is in my bed). I think it does require an investment in the right sleeping pad to bring the sleep quality up to what a hammock provides. (This is critical and perhaps the one reason most will tell you that a hammock is more comfortable than the ground!). I cannot sleep on one of those cheap blue closed cell foam pads or even a self inflating Thermarest.

I like the options associated with my hammock system (I can set up the tarp only if necessary, use the hammock for a midday rest). However, I can get my tent system set up faster than I can get my hammock system dialed in. Others will disagree (some strongly) with this so ymmv. Sometimes it is hard to locate a good tent site (relatively flat and level), other times I have difficulty finding a good hammock spot (trees of right girth, correct distance apart, room for fly set-up).

So, like most other things, there is no "one size fits all" answer or that is what you would see everyone carrying. I mix it up but if you forced me to pick one for my next trip,I would go with my tent/pad/bag option.

I also use both...just depends on the trip. I tend to go for the hammock when I am going alone. I am a side and front sleeper but do just fine in a hammock on my back or turned slightly so sorta on my side. I find that needing trees when I'm with others makes it harder for others who tent camp to find spots, or I end up being too far from the group. It also depends on the location and whether there WILL be trees.

My tent is always up quicker than my hammock and tarp set-up, likely due to less experience with the hammock and tarp. The tent is just easy.

I also have dogs.

My sleeping system uses a NeoAir XTherm instead of an underquilt. Use my hammock most of the time. When temperatures drop below 30 F, the XTherm starts to feel pretty cold. That's when I take the tent.

The only time I go back to a tarp tent (or actual tent) is when my dog is with me. I haven't figured out a good way to have both of us in a hammock and I don't want her to have to lie under me all night long.

That's all for now. Take care and until next time....be well.

snapper

Default Why did you switch away FROM hammocks to tents are ground tarps?

Solo, I have only ever taken my hammock. In the future, if I'm hiking with a partner who is in a tent or tarp I'll do the same. It can be a pain to find a good campsite that fits both setups. Especially if I'm with somebody who has a 2p tent doesn't mind sharing! Less for me to carry
    You can walk in another person's shoes, but only with your feet

Sometimes there are no trees (desert, tundra).
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Journal Entries

I agree with Feral Bill. I have been known to setup my hammock and tarp with my hiking poles. Yes I am on the ground, but I am out of the weather and bug free with the summer cover.
    Blackheart

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++