WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Port Clinton to Bear Mountain Shuttle

Starting to plan for my upcoming section hike in May. Plan to leave my car in Port Clinton, PA and get shuttled to Bear Mountain, NY and then walk south back to my car. So I have a couple of questions before I start making some phone calls.

Can anyone recommend a safe place to leave a car for two weeks in Port Clinton?

Does anyone know a shuttler who is willing to do the trip? Mapquest says it is 155 miles and about 2.5 hrs each way.

Any spots/side trips along the way that are worth the effort to get to?

Thanks for your help.

Images

There's a lot at the corner of Broad and Dock Streets. The lot is in open and visible from the street. That should prevent vandalism.

There are other options (e.g. on RT61) all of which have proven safe for me.

http://rohland.homedns.org:8008/at/s...20&sectionID=4

You might want to try Bob at Bert's Restaurant and Hostel in Palmerton, PA. I don't know if he would go as far as Bear Mountain, but it doesn't hurt asking. If he can accommodate you, he may even have a place to park your car. If I was doing that section, I would go to Palmerton, park my car, stay in the hostel overnight, and then head out to Bear Mountain the next morning. Port Clinton is only about 35 miles from Palmerton, so I'm pretty sure Bob can help you there.

Give him a call - Bert's Restaurant phone number in the 2016 AWOL guide is 610-826-5454
    Trail Name - Slapshot
    "One step at a time."
    Blog - www.tonysadventure.com

AT 2012

not sure if you would be interested in public transportation, but, if you are, there are buses that run from NYC to the Bear Mountain inn, and a train to a nearby station as well... i'm not familiar with buses from farther south into ny, but it may be an acceptable alternative. i apologize if this is too far of the point...
    Lazarus

Rock n' Sole Hostel and AT Shuttle Service
    Craig and Jody Stine
    Schuylkill Haven, PA (570) 617-6432(text and voice for Craig)
    [email protected]
    Service from PA/MD to PA/NJ. Specializing in Harrisburg through Allentown areas. (< 2 mi to Rte 183 trailhead) Providing reasonable rates for nearby resupply, urgent care, and airport runs. Open daily through hiking "seasons" and beyond.

One of the best ways to find a shuttle is to go on the ATC web page, click on explore then transportation options then shuttle list. It's a safer, cheaper more reliable option.

I would suggest not getting a shuttle until the end of your trip, just get out and start walking. This eliminates a possible second shuttle back to your car if you have injury/ have to get off the trail prematurely. May try George Lightcap, As far as reference goes I give him a top notch A++, I just don't know if he will make the drive. He is in Jersey. I do know he drove about 100 miles to Palmerton to pick us up, and then another 100 to Newark airport from there.
    Trail Miles: 4,980.5
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 47.9
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

++ New Posts ++